Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
removing cracked glass from an all glass tank

Hi, I've done some searching and watched a few youtube videos but I seem to be running into something I haven't noticed mentioned.

After I stripped the silicone away from the joint on both sides (top frame piece is already removed) I find that the joint is very hardened. I've tried using a razor knife-which can't quite get deep enough and I used 20 lb test monofilament-which mostly just breaks. Whatever is remaining in between the two pieces of glass is very hard. Did some manufacturers use an additional glue like epoxy? I don't believe from what I see that this tank was ever repaired/glued post manufacture. Any ideas on how to unglue the cracked piece so I can replace it?

Thanks in advance.

waterphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
You could try piano wire or a guitar string.

Clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
and possibly heat(hair dryer) may soften the caulk some.
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
other options?

I left a medium sized room heater close to the edge I want to separate until the glass was almost hot or it was hot. I still can't budge whatever's in that joint.

I thought removing the top frame/trim was going to be the hardest part of this but I was wrong. I'm now considering sandwiching the cracked end panel between to sheets of acrylic maybe with a tint so I don't have to see the cracked piece so much. Maybe I could use a dremel with a very thin cutting disc on it but that's likely a glass cracker.

I appreciate the suggestions. I've just got a tough one.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Perhaps score the broken piece top to bottom in two places separating it into thirds. Gently break it on the score lines and remove the middle section. This should make it easire to remove as the smaller pieces aren't glued in all the way around.
>> Jim C. <<
jrc0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The panel is already cracked in such a way that there are several pieces to remove. I got this tank for free so it has just been a project to attempt. I am fairly handy and can use tools believe it or not but the joint I've been trying to free up is rock hard. I bought a thin scrolling saw blade and tried to use that to clear the joint but it barely makes a dent in it.
I think it's a matter now of either "plastering" over the cracked panel or just letting it go.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
You can use tape measure to cut the silicone push it through then use a heat gun or hair dryer and slowly cut it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
michelle34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could it be a spacer? This will give you your silicone bead thickness. Sometimes they are clear (intended for shower units) known as glaziers blocks or packers. Usually a rubber or plastic material.
Depends on how thick the joint is?

If the glass is cracked all over, tape it with some gaffer/duct tape before you lose a finger! Glass does not take any prisoners!

Then, if you still struggle, once the glass is taped for safety, use a glass cutter, cut around the perimeter, remove large pieces then remove smaller stuff with pliers.
Clean joints. Bingo! Job done.

Nibbling glass by Jamie Mcpeak, on Flickr\

Maybe more plants? by Jamie Mcpeak, on Flickr\
Note 3 black packers along bottom edge of tank.

Really hope this helps!

FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

crack, glass, glass tank, moving, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com