Will my tank crack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently purchased a Perfecto 90 gallon Surfline aquarium. The front of the tank is concave on the right side and convex on the left side. I got a good deal on it because it was a factory "second." Unfortunately, there is a problem. The front glass pane has a gap between it and the frame. It gap is at most 5/32" wide around the convex side and tapers off at the concave side. Also, the gap is nearly identical on both the top frame and the bottom frame.

The person who I purchased it from did fill it up with water and it did hold without andy leaks, but I am worried about the stress in the long run. I was thinking about filling the gap with epoxy. What should I do?

I've seen those tanks - they look really neat. Did you get a stand too?

About the gap: that's probably the reason it is a fectory second. I don't think the tank would leak, because for curvature of the front pane would prevent the glass from moving against the frame where the gap is located. Still, I would fill the gap with epoxy as you suggested for extra peace of mind as well as for cosmetic reasons.

yohann976 said:
I recently purchased a Perfecto 90 gallon Surfline aquarium. The front of the tank is concave on the right side and convex on the left side. I got a good deal on it because it was a factory "second." Unfortunately, there is a problem. The front glass pane has a gap between it and the frame. It gap is at most 5/32" wide around the convex side and tapers off at the concave side. Also, the gap is nearly identical on both the top frame and the bottom frame.

The person who I purchased it from did fill it up with water and it did hold without andy leaks, but I am worried about the stress in the long run. I was thinking about filling the gap with epoxy. What should I do?

You won't have any problems, I was just at the LFS and there where several All-Glass stands with tanks that had large spans of unsupported edge on the back of the stand, a small gap like what you are talking about is nothing.

Back
Top Bottom