Accosting people in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did it again. There I was at my fav LFS with Trevor and there's a guy there asking the employee about plecos and Lake Tang fish. I know for a fact the help there is mediocre at best when the boss isn't there. (Big disappointment, because I went to go chat with the boss). Anyway, there I am looking at the new fish and the customer is asking about plecos and the sales girl tells him he should do some research, look around on-line and come back, he didn't have to buy right then (good call on her part). She left and I told the guy which pleco I thought he should get and then I told him about AA. We all chatted about Lake Tang fish, driftwood, pH and plecos. The guy then left to find the employee to get his pleco and go. His girlfriend and their huge, beautiful, hairy white dog had already gone upstairs where it was cooler. Trevor and I looked at the fish a while more and I jotted down the website and put down my handle (I do give out the site a fair bit, but not my handle). I gave it to him as we left--poor guy was still waiting to get his fish!

After we left, Trevor just shook his head at me. (Try to follow this!) Trevor said if he were that guy and he hadn't been there, he would have thought I was hitting on him. Basically Trevor thought I looked like I was hitting on this guy at the LFS, but since Trevor (my fiance) was there, my actions were okay 8O Then it must really be bad when Trevor's not around and I give out a little slip of paper with the website.

BTW~Moose, there are some Gorgeous rams there. The wild caught ones are being treated for a fungal infection, but the long finned rams are healthy. :eyes:I can't wait until they all get better--I don't know what ones I want 8O I don't know where I'd put them either, but I don't care :multi:

Hmmm, that was a bit long winded!
The point, which was not made clear, was it is awkward to approach people. If you have given out advice or this website, how do you do it without coming across as some crazed maniac?

Or, how many people have successfully picked up people in fish stores? Anyone ever been picked up in a fish store?

One time I came down to the first floor of my lfs with six rummy-nose tetras I'd just caught. A rather attractive person came up to me all aglow and said, "You caught those yourself? Wow! I tried once and I couldn't net any, they're so hard to catch." This was the first time I'd gotten rn tetras and indeed it took me an hour with both my arms in the tank up to my elbows and two nets. I agreed they were incredibly difficult to catch. We parted ways. The way the person spoke to me, you'd have thought I'd just discovered penicillin or something.

For the next twenty minutes I was unduly impressed with myself.

Hey Menagerie.............who knows how people interpret being friendly and helpful?Some might consider it a come on, I'd like to think most won't. You go girl!!!! And keep doing what you're doing. :wink:

I think the owner thinks I am crazy... I come in there and look at his fish and then leave.. I saw those rams the first day he got them. (The wild and the long fined) I loved the long finned but was afraid to add anymore to my tank.

The last time I was there was the day he got the albino bushynose pleco's in and I was having a fit (in my head) I kept asking him about them.. Wanted as much info as possible.. I think he might think I am crazy.. I love my pleco and driftwood I got from there.....

(relating to the topic hopefully he doesn't think I was hitting on him.. hehe...)

Wow, you have to understand Trevor though. When those boys see you they can't stop themselves from comin' a runnin'. :jump: I mean come on. Pretty girl talking about fish? Who couldn't resist. Lucky Trevor was there to protect you. :mrgreen:

:oops:
That is quite enough! Wait until you truly catch the fish bug and you start striking up conversations with anyone who will listen to you about fish!!!

LOL Menagerie, you were just trying to help the guy, slap Trevor in the face!! J/k btw!!

I was in this brand new lfs in my area Tuesday, not a sole in the store. I was in asking about liverock, and seeing the selection this place had (which was moot, btw). Anyways, I asked him a few question, we talked for a bit. He was a little older than me, and not bad looking :lol:

Next thing you know, I'm over looking at the FW fish, and comes and stands right next to me...a little uncomfortably close you know. So I stepped away to look at another fish. Arrowanna actually, and asked him a few questions. Anyways, it was just funny that way he looked and talked to me. Our conversation got a little personal. And it was so hot outside then, he had the doors open to the store, but I was still sweating even more.

"yeah...I'm gonna go look at the SW stuff" He said ok. And followed me again. I left shortly after. He walked me out the door.

My thought was...does he think I'm gonna steal a fish? Was he just being an overly nice guy? Hmm..

So, I've never gotten picked up in the LFS, but it was an odd experience none the less. 8O

I don't know what to say Devilish! I can't stop smiling! That story is too funny and happens a lot to so many people. You end up feeling creeped out, yet mildly satisfied with yourself all at the same time!

LOL..there is a guy at work like that...and I have been told by several people he likes me. Its kinda like..

" your a really nice guy...but you have a little more than what I'm looking for...and its mostly in your pants." :mrgreen:

Should I be insulted?????????? 8O . Noones ever tried to pick me up at my lfs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a funny topic :D

I can totally relate though.. I thought this girl was trying to pick me up in the LFS once. She was real chatty about nothing in particular for goin on 30 minutes. Then right at the end I find out she only wanted me for my frags :oops:

hehehe....

I donated about 16 apple snail baby's to my local lfs and the girl there got all excited and was 'petting' their bellys/feet through the bag.... it was kinda weird :) Now she's really friendly whenever I go in there...

I just realized something. If we think pretty much everyone else in the store is weird...and the other customers think the same thing...that means they think we are weird too. I never saw myself as "the weird customer." :oops:

Ahh well...lifes more interesting that way! :mrgreen:

I get get hit on Every time I go to the fish store. Maybe it helps that it is by the owner. He started to get really bad though, I asked my husband how to deal with it because I like going there, and he just made fun of me and said just think of all the free fish you will get. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom