Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Angelfish community options?

Hey there! I'm new on the forum and I'm getting my first aquarium tomorrow!

Its a 45gallon corner tank, and I was wondering if there were any types of angelfish that would be okay in a tank of tetras and cories.. Maybe a dojo loach also

Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have some and am still learning about them (Koi Angels). I think they can eat smaller tetras (like Neons) when they get full sized.

Here are mine when they were little guys.

Here is a bad quality pic - sorry about that.

You can see the same Blue Gourami, and how much they have grown in 2 months since I got them at quarter size, and they are about half grown, about old school dollar coin size now.

Also maybe you could get one if you have larger tetras. One I was going to mention on your other thread was Congo Tetra, the largest Tetra I believe.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I was planning on doing 5 flame tetra and 4-5 black phantom tetra.. They both are definitely bigger than the neons, and if I get the angel when its really small will that help with the community?
What types of angels are my options with tetras?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As I said I am still learning about the Angels. My Aunt kept them for years.

When I saw these Koi Angels I knew my mom would love them so I got a few in case we could get up to a breeding pair.

I think it will depend on the personality to some degree. Also if there is a pair they might get cranky/territorial during breeding and eggs.

I think there is debate on if one fish would be happy solo, I have read that some are fine as an only fish. I also think there are lots of variables.

Long ago I got an Angel and he was an only in a 29G tank - I didn't know it was too small for him and the community fish and he got nasty with all the fish so I took him to the store for a better home match.

So it could have been the crowded/too small tank, lack of cover/water parameters not good, wanted a mate, had a nasty disposition...lol

I think it will depend somewhat on the fish. I also have read that having him in the tank with the tankmates will be a good thing, as they are always there as he is growing up. But not a guarantee.

From what I understand other than Wild angels, or first generation fish, the fish store or home bred fish will be fine. All relatively the same care and behavior and size for commonly available varieties.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, angelfish, community

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com