Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Are these eels? bichirs? Worms?

So I work in a pet store, and even the manager is confused as to where these came from and what they are. One is much darker than the other and they are about three inches long, super skinny. They were living off pellets in store, and I have witnessed one slurp down a bloodworm. There was three in the tank but one died. As you can see there is a stripe all the way down its body, fins behind the head, on its back, and at the tip of the tail... I thought it might be a tire track eel, but apparently not? I have it housed with 9 guppies and 25 guppy fry, 2 dwarf frogs, 2 shrimp, 1 green tiger barb (yes, I know, not a great choice for my shrimp), 3 mystery snails and plenty of pest snails... Nothing is missing or hurt, and these little guys just hide and seem to like burrowing in gravel though I have them on sand. I'd like to know what is in my tank so I can better take care of them, and know what I'm in for if they do end up being something big and mean... any suggestions?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209094649347658&id=13614639 48

Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The image did not show up. Primarily because of Facebook's permission settings. Please isolate (download?) the image and post it here directly or into an album and post that link.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could it be a kuhli loach? That's what it kinda sounds like. These guys are super easy to keep, the like warmer water and eat pretty much anything you drop in. They get 3-4" long and live for a while in the right conditions.
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePawsPalace View Post
So I work in a pet store, and even the manager is confused as to where these came from and what they are. One is much darker than the other and they are about three inches long, super skinny. They were living off pellets in store, and I have witnessed one slurp down a bloodworm. There was three in the tank but one died. As you can see there is a stripe all the way down its body, fins behind the head, on its back, and at the tip of the tail... I thought it might be a tire track eel, but apparently not? I have it housed with 9 guppies and 25 guppy fry, 2 dwarf frogs, 2 shrimp, 1 green tiger barb (yes, I know, not a great choice for my shrimp), 3 mystery snails and plenty of pest snails... Nothing is missing or hurt, and these little guys just hide and seem to like burrowing in gravel though I have them on sand. I'd like to know what is in my tank so I can better take care of them, and know what I'm in for if they do end up being something big and mean... any suggestions?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1361463948

Could you download the image and post it on something like imgur, and just post the copy link from there?

Sent via echolocation
Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like kuhli loaches
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Different link

https://youtu.be/wgd6UlaLB0I
Took a video of them, hopefully you can see them ok and this link works...
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Kuhli loaches yes that must be it! Thanks for the replies wow you guys are fast! Even when the video didn't link properly you found out by my bad description! haha. I'm surprised the manager didn't figure that out, but they are extremely small and the gravel at work is dark so it's understandable. They seem happy in their new home, but hang out on opposite ends of the tank. I'll have to do some research on these little loaches to better care for them
Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

It appears to be a loach, but not so sure about kuhli. The darkened stripe running lengthwise is not typical of that species.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe that would be colbitis striata the Japanese striped loach
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
I believe that would be colbitis striata the Japanese striped loach
I don't think so. Too long and thin for that IMO. It definitely looks like one of the cobitiid loaches, same family as kuhli loaches. It might possibly be a very young weather loach as I've seen some with that pattern before... video is a little blurry to be sure though.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, eel, eels, ich, worm, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com