Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Thanks

We aren't quite ready for real plants yet, although I'm sure both the catfish and the betta would love them. We have quite a few fake plants of different variety though. And pretty black sand.

Are real plants hard to deal with? Do they ever come with parasites or anything you don't really want? We may try it at some point, I know they are good for the tank and the fish, but, we just started having a tank and it's all still so new to us, so we don't want to mess with anything else yet

I've had plants come with ich. Now I QT new plants for a couple of days in a bucket just in case.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
As long as you get some kind of a fluorescent light or led (just not incandescent), real plants can be very easy. I have real plants in every tank, and all I do is shove root tabs under them sometimes when I think of it. I only buy super low maintenance plants. I think they add a lot of the tank, and fish really love them. They also eat up nitrates which is nice.
I have never gotten any sort of parasite, but it is quite possible to get snails. Personally, I could not care less about pond snails though. I just leave them be to do their thing. They are a good way to know if you are over feeding, because excess food makes their population grow quite a bit.
Thanks for the information We may get a real plant at some point in the future I have heard about getting snails.... don't they make a lot of waste though?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I've had plants come with ich. Now I QT new plants for a couple of days in a bucket just in case.
Ack! Thanks for the info. Does putting them in the bucket help wash off anyt ICH?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #24
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Ack! Thanks for the info. Does putting them in the bucket help wash off anyt ICH?

I guess it would a bit but mainly I leave the plants so any ich will finish it's life cycle and die off. I've only had it happen once but that was enough for me.

I know other people will treat plants with say dilute h2o2 or similar I believe and should look at doing that.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh ok!! Thanks again

I'd also worry about snails. They make a lot of waste from my understanding and I'd hate for them to take over the tank (but if I only got one I guess they wouldn't, but if they came on a plant, that's another story). Originally I wanted a snail, since I love snails in general anyway, but am a little skeptical now.

Tags
betta, betta fish, cave, fish, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com