Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #151
M4M
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

@Andy, the rare exception is not the norm. They may take refuge in a hoof print as they sometimes will leave dirty puddles, and try to cross ground to look for more water. A hoof print wouldn't contain enough food to sustain them through the dry season. (Especially for 2, as some of the marketed "Betta tanks" would suggest)

Just like the cramped pools piranhas can be found in during the dry season.

Also, who bases their pet fish's home aquaria on the dry season?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieberion View Post
They must have seen the Sponge Bob episode where they all get ich
and Gary saves the day lol
OMG that's exactly what I was thinking when I read that!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #153
Aquarium Advice Activist

From a FB group:

Problem: my Pleco ate my last yellow blaze baby. Is there a different option for an algae eater that's not going to eat my babies

Answer: shrimp & assassin snails are best for algae control & will be safe with the babies

I butt in: assassin snails eat snails not algae & not all shrimp will eat algae but most cichlids will eat shrimp so probably not a good mix

Result: the person with the original post had already went & spent $70 on blue shrimp, amano shrimp & assassin snails. Their next post was listing these for sale followed by a new post asking to buy a 10 gallon with heater.

How to avoid this kind of failure: always always ALWAYS do your own research when things are recommended to you. While most people are trying to be helpful & legit, some just don't have a clue & it's really hard to tell them apart.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try-na View Post
From a FB group:

Problem: my Pleco ate my last yellow blaze baby. Is there a different option for an algae eater that's not going to eat my babies

Answer: shrimp & assassin snails are best for algae control & will be safe with the babies

I butt in: assassin snails eat snails not algae & not all shrimp will eat algae but most cichlids will eat shrimp so probably not a good mix

Result: the person with the original post had already went & spent $70 on blue shrimp, amano shrimp & assassin snails. Their next post was listing these for sale followed by a new post asking to buy a 10 gallon with heater.

How to avoid this kind of failure: always always ALWAYS do your own research when things are recommended to you. While most people are trying to be helpful & legit, some just don't have a clue & it's really hard to tell them apart.
lol i doubt it was even the pleco that ate the baby
Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

"don't get fish shipped to you because they will have transportation shock or be DOA"

False. I laughed when I heard this!
Some may go into shock from a stressful journey, but 95% (IME) don't. I replied to the person that I ship fish priority 99% of the time an have maybe had 2 boxes of DOA's ever, that was because I didn't know what I was doing at first. I have received nearly 75 shipments of fish with maybe 6 boxes with DOA or sick looking fish ever. I've imported fish numerous times with only 1 DOA and no "shocked" fish, and they take 4-6 days each time.

They were pretty quiet after that lol
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #156
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post

lol i doubt it was even the pleco that ate the baby
I didn't know enough about plecos to be sure about that but I most definitely do know that assassin snails didn't earn the name "assassin" because of their ability to decimate algae!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #157
Aquarium Advice Regular

Closed ecosystems work... so does putting a fish in a bowl until it dies.
Jack - Telescope Eyed Goldfish - 8 months
Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #158
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post

I've always wanted an angelfish but my parents always tell me "when I get my own place" I can, because of the required tank size. Haha, oh well.
It was a 5 gallon fish bowl, and the angelfish were still super tiny at the time. It lasted a week to be specific, maybe it was just luck.
They grow pretty fast, after that week it was clear that the bowl wasn't doing justice.

But she does have her own angelfish now, in a 75 gal! (Though it took some time) It's amazing how inaccurate information can be.
I'm holding off on anything bigger than my 30g until I become a home owner myself lol or at least in more stable housing after I graduate college. I just moved to a new college apartment and it was hell moving my goldfish.
I was at PetSmart and saw a 175g tank... lol I need it so bad but it was like $800!!
Jack - Telescope Eyed Goldfish - 8 months
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #159
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieItBlack View Post

I'm holding off on anything bigger than my 30g until I become a home owner myself lol or at least in more stable housing after I graduate college. I just moved to a new college apartment and it was hell moving my goldfish.
I was at PetSmart and saw a 175g tank... lol I need it so bad but it was like $800!!
Fish tanks can get really expensive..my dad was really shocked and upset when we first went to buy my tank. Needless to say, I'm pretty much stuck with a 10g for now. But hey, better than a fish bowl! And tax doesn't help either.

Well, I have another one for this thread.
Just yesterday an employee at a local pet store went off on a rant because he thought I was wasting my time cycling my tank. He was like "don't be in the hobby if you're going to waste your time!" Ugh.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #160
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post

Fish tanks can get really expensive..my dad was really shocked and upset when we first went to buy my tank. Needless to say, I'm pretty much stuck with a 10g for now. But hey, better than a fish bowl! And tax doesn't help either.

Well, I have another one for this thread.
Just yesterday an employee at a local pet store went off on a rant because he thought I was wasting my time cycling my tank. He was like "don't be in the hobby if you're going to waste your time!" Ugh.
I know right? I've seen hexagon tanks online for like 1000 dollars! (No exaggeration) I've also seen regular 50 or 60 gals for somewhere between $500 and $800! I mean, I know that aquariums are supposed to be waterproof (duh!) and all that but why so expensive?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com