Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Great night for the furnace to quit...

Its 6 degrees out now and our stupid furnace dies. Try and find a repairperson on a Sunday night.
I guess the kids will go to grandma's house and I'll try to kick up the gas fireplace for the first time in 6 years.
This will sure put the aquarium heaters to the test.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
Makes me glad both the 180 and the 20 are in a room with a wood stove. Wouldnt be the first time ive used wood heat to keep the aquariums warm.

Might want to wrap the aquariums with blankets, as silly as that sounds. It will help. Newspaper taped to the outside will help as well.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I wish I could e-mail some heat to you, quarryshark. If you insulate the tanks with a blanket, it should take the strain off the heaters.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Good luck...we'll be sending warm thoughts.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 01-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Bummer Kut. Might want to throw a blanket over the tank to insulate it a bit. You can also float jugs of warm water in your sump to help things out. Why not send the kids to Grandmas and you and the wife have a little private party curled up by the fire? Stay warm...Lando
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
Old 01-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
What a drag. I went through that last year...my gas furnace quit about this time. Secondary heat exchanger sooted up due to a broken vent line (dog got under the house). Have you ever noticed that most of the problems in my life are somehow related to my darn dogs!? Took me a couple of weeks to get the needed parts and get it repaired. I found, during that time, that I couldn't heat this big, old, leaky house with just the wood stove. Wish I was close enough to come check it out for you...I know it's impossible to get someone out on a Sunday night.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
Old 01-23-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have replaced the blower motor and circuit board on this thing more than once. Its some kind of switch on the board, it keeps clicking but won't start up. I think its time for replacement.
Got the gas fireplace going, the family room is toasty (more than I can say for the rest of the house) and the kids are already curled up snoozing, they spend the day sled riding so they are wiped out. As for my tank, it is in the basement (should stay OK down there) with 2 heater, the UV cranked and I put the glass covers back on. It should be Ok.
I may not be on the computer too long, the temp is the office (upstairs) is already down to 48 degrees.
Hey, the pioneers did this all winter long, I think we can handle a night or 2.
Thanks for the support and allowing me to vent a bit.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Be careful that your fireplace has propper venting, don't want any unpleasent and dangerous gasses hitting you while you sleep.
30gal; Bala Shark, Pl*co
Old 01-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks William and thats a good point. Its a gas fireplace with an electric motor for venting. I alreast checked the vent outside, it is clear and doing its job. We also have 2 good CO2 detectors and I've placed them both in the room.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Could have been worse. You could have been away, and come home to water pouring down your driveway from all the freeze broken pipes in the house. This just happened to me. Pipe on 2nd floor burst, water cascaded downhill to the main floor, basement and garage. It was the Ice river in the driveway that tipped off a neighbor. Major damage to three levels. Wonder what my insurance premiums will be next year.

Closed Thread

eat, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com