Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

LFS Worker

Hello AA Members,

I'm a worker at a LFS and I was wondering what would be the best advice to give someone who's wanting fish same day they buy the tank. I explain cycling the tank but I'm sure explaining ammonia nitrite and nitrate the first time you come in is a little much.

Another problem I get is people wanting tons of fish for a little tank, at my store selling fish isn't a major priority because we allow fish returns (all freshwater) so it actually hurts us if your fish dies. I'm also not allowed to deny fish....

I just wanted to know from a customers view point.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think that you should tell them what they need to know. About cycling and what not. Explain that it can seem overwhelming at first but you are trying to help them prevent numerous problems down the road. Explain that it takes time but if you go about it the right way they will have a much better experience in fish keeping. I hear people all the time talking about getting rid of their aquariums after only a short period of time because all the fish they buy keep die in such a short time. A customer needs to know these things. Just tell them you are not trying to stop them from buying fish right away but you are just trying to make their experience a good one.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as people wanted a bunch of fish for their tanks it's a very easy fix! Just explain to them all the bad thing that happen from putting a fish that will outgrow the tank or how much more work will come out of overstocking and the aggression issues that will come from it. Whats the name of the lfs if you don't mind and where is it?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I for one would appreciate someone telling me info that I need to know but wouldn't have known otherwise, especially when it's about advice that will help save me money in the long run. About cycling I would tell them about it briefly and tell them to go research on their own so they dont get overwhelmed with someone they don't know talking about a lot of stuff they probably won't understand. I think you were to talk on and on and on about cycling and completely overwhelm
a customer you would more than likely talk them out of buying anything, which isn't good for you.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There should be a leaflet, printed and ready to hand to customers that explains everything that you want to.. but in writing so they can look at it and remember it.

Newb headlines.

1) Why you shouldn't add fish the same day as setting up your tank
2) Why less is more
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
There should be a leaflet, printed and ready to hand to customers that explains everything that you want to.. but in writing so they can look at it and remember it.

Newb headlines.

2) Why less is more
I really like this idea. I wish all pet stores did this!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If people insist on adding fish the same day after you've explained cycling to them, etc, I send them home with a huge bottle of stability, prime, and matrix. Does your return policy involve them bringing in a water sample?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post

Newb headlines.

2) Why less is more
Pets at home in the UK have a leaflet that they hand out like this, the smaller stores don't seem to, when I started I went to a a smaller shop and they told me it would be ok to put the fish in the next day, so I did so and when I woke up the next morning after putting the fish in they was all dead and one had jumped out of it, I think telling the customer it will waste your money as the fish will die would make them think twice as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Plus I think I you was to tell the to come on here and look at the threads that members have put up would help them out as well, I didn't really have a clue about what's what before I came on here,
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dude you would have to be the best worker ever I rearly see people who care about their job to the point where they want to better their customer service skill top job mate.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com