Nightmare about new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well this is going to sound quite weird but now that I'm about to get my first saltwater tank set up I'm having nightmares about the front of the tank blowing out when I put water into it.

I have dreams about the glass breaking open and spilling gallons of water & sand and rock out onto my apartment floor. I don't know where this fear is coming from but it's a little bit of a downer on something that I've spent so much time, thought and money on making happen.

I'm just today painting the back of my tank & naturally taking photos so I can do a "first build" thread. It just seems like I'm odd because this should be an exciting time....not nerve wracking time!

Maybe I'm just paranoid or maybe this is a little more common than I think? Dang my over active sub-conscious!

;) I thought I was the only one with tank nightmares!! The other day I had one that had all of the fish in my 55 dead... in perfect parameters.

Everything will be okay!

bigbanker said:
;) I thought I was the only one with tank nightmares!! The other day I had one that had all of the fish in my 55 dead... in perfect parameters.

Everything will be okay!

Your nightmare was my true story in my 90g...

kittann said:
Well this is going to sound quite weird but now that I'm about to get my first saltwater tank set up I'm having nightmares about the front of the tank blowing out when I put water into it.

I have dreams about the glass breaking open and spilling gallons of water & sand and rock out onto my apartment floor. I don't know where this fear is coming from but it's a little bit of a downer on something that I've spent so much time, thought and money on making happen.

I'm just today painting the back of my tank & naturally taking photos so I can do a "first build" thread. It just seems like I'm odd because this should be an exciting time....not nerve wracking time!

Maybe I'm just paranoid or maybe this is a little more common than I think? Dang my over active sub-conscious!

Had the same thing happening in my dreams. And I still sometimes worry.
I think with all the horror-stories we hear sometimes this is a normal reaction. Also, u places so much information about tanks etc in ur brain and thought about it so much, this is ur brains way of digesting it. U'll be fine ;)

Glad I'm not the only one though :b

Thank you guys for letting me know I'm not alone here. Interesting point Unicorn about how much we have tanks on the brain contributing to my nightmares! I feel less crazy now! :)
Maybe now I can chill out and enjoy this much anticipated adventure!

kittann said:
Thank you guys for letting me know I'm not alone here. Interesting point Unicorn about how much we have tanks on the brain contributing to my nightmares! I feel less crazy now! :)
Maybe now I can chill out and enjoy this much anticipated adventure!

Please do ;)

I still sometimes imagine hearing things coming from the living room and catch myself running in there just to find my tank as perfect as I left it. I had dreams from crashing, over all dead, to glass shattering. It just shows that we care ;)

Good luck with your tank and don't let the worries get the best of you!

I've had a few of these dreams where one of my tanks starts to leak, and the fish just start to fly all around the house.

Stop it!!! You've got to be kidding me.

In mine, they could've been asleep. No fin nips, missing eyes. Nothing but beautifully dead fish.

Yeah, woke up and every morning for 5 days I lost a fish. Tomi kole, yellow tail damsels (3), stary bleenie, one spot foxface, banngi cardinal, pajama cardinal (2), true clown, and platinum clown. Only one who survived was the flame hawkfish. All inverts and RBT survived.

I lived mine last weekend, all my larger fish were electrocuted when my return fitting from my canister filter came apart and leaked water down the back of my tank into my power strip and sent electricity back up into my tank, lost two of my clown loach, my four silver dollars, a couple of zebra danios and my favorite fish my black ghost knife who had a great personality! :-(

Just make sure you have a shop vac in your house just in case... (y)

My 75 gallon blew out in one spectacular fail....
imag0597.jpg

Not fun, and every time I hear a creak in the house, I look at new tank, half expecting it to empty it's contents. So far so good :whistle:

I lived mine last weekend, all my larger fish were electrocuted when my return fitting from my canister filter came apart and leaked water down the back of my tank into my power strip and sent electricity back up into my tank, lost two of my clown loach, my four silver dollars, a couple of zebra danios and my favorite fish my black ghost knife who had a great personality! :-(

At least it wasn't you who got zapped....

Time for a CFGI outlet for your tank :) Not only will it save your fish, it will save your life. ALL tanks should be powered by a CFGI outlet/powerstrip.

Sparky74 said:
Just make sure you have a shop vac in your house just in case... (y)

My 75 gallon blew out in one spectacular fail....

Not fun, and every time I hear a creak in the house, I look at new tank, half expecting it to empty it's contents. So far so good :whistle:

At least it wasn't you who got zapped....

Time for a CFGI outlet for your tank :) Not only will it save your fish, it will save your life. ALL tanks should be powered by a CFGI outlet/powerstrip.

Omg worst nightmare ever!!!

But u guys know what's just as bad?! Nit being able to sleep bc u worry about the tank... I'm a worry-butt all the time anyways. So this hobby kinda just adds to all my other neurotic worries :-/

:nono: holy cow!!! Those stories are awful! Hats off to you guys for hanging in there in spite of your huge set backs!

Yep, I think before I go much farther I'm going to need to buy a wet vac even if I never need it (crosses fingers). Sounds like a good investment to me.

BTW, thank you for the inadvertent reminder to me to get my power strip up off the ground. In my excitement about getting some RO water in the tank I totally forgot! :facepalm:

With my new/used 44 there were two chips in the seams I could not sleep the first two nights I had it. I kept waking up and making sure my living room wasn't flooded.

Finally I post pics on here and another aquarist said I would be fine.

I thought I was crazy glad to see other people have issues.

I thought I was crazy glad to see other people have issues.

So true!
While painting the back of my tank yesterday I saw a "flaw" in one of my seams and I keep rubbing my finger over it as I'm filling my tank for the first time. Don't mind saying this hobby has turned me a little OCD! LOL!

kittann said:
So true!
While painting the back of my tank yesterday I saw a "flaw" in one of my seams and I keep rubbing my finger over it as I'm filling my tank for the first time. Don't mind saying this hobby has turned me a little OCD! LOL!

I clean and scrubs and check on my tank 24/7... The rest of the house is a mess though. Wish i was as OCD with everything else like i am with my tank

Unicorn said:
I clean and scrubs and check on my tank 24/7... The rest of the house is a mess though. Wish i was as OCD with everything else like i am with my tank

Me too I hate cleaning! LOL

[
I clean and scrubs and check on my tank 24/7... The rest of the house is a mess though. Wish i was as OCD with everything else like i am with my tank/QUOTE]

L0L! I can SO relate!!! I always say I live like an 18 year old Frat boy...I need a Merry Maid to clean up here- not that I am dirty I'm just cluttery!

Back
Top Bottom