Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I hear ya We all have "WAR" stories. At least you made the attempt Let's hope the buddy and the Dad in the OP's story don't have that mentality
YUP....I read the first post, the invitation at the end to share stories, and I was like..... I could write an encyclopedia on all the horror stories I've heard about.

I work at a big chain. I've been cussed out for revoking the warrantee on a red-tailed shark that was destined for a goldfish bowl. I've been LOUDLY accused of trying to cheat someone out of money for insisting on bigger tanks for goldfish. More times than I can count on my fingers and toes, I've had someone interrupt my explanation of humane treatment with a shoulder shrug and "GAWD, it's JUST a fish!, lady" ....ah, I will not start: I'll never stop

Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandicorn View Post
Bah! Lol let me re-phrase what I meant xD. It's spring break atm, so I am going to compile a list of helpful sites. Once SB is over, I will hand him a sheet of paper, and it will say "Read with your dad." It will include: My phone #, list of helpful sites. I will link him to AA if he has any q's I cannot answer. Lol I hope this makes me look like a crazy jerk x)

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
I think you forgot a word in there. LOL Didn't you mean "I hope this makes me NOT look like a crazy jerk x)" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
I wouldn't say you looked like a jerk just a person who cares and was very frustrated about the situation, but that you are planning on continuing to try and help your friend and give him guidance only shows a strength of character on your part. If he chooses to ignore your advice so be it, at least you will know that you tried which is the most any of us can do.
ABSOLUTELY! The best we can do is try. If the customer or friend doesn't want to listen to reason, there's not much more we can do. (But we need to give them the reason first. That was my point. )

Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I think you forgot a word in there. LOL Didn't you mean "I hope this makes me NOT look like a crazy jerk x)" ?

ABSOLUTELY! The best we can do is try. If the customer or friend doesn't want to listen to reason, there's not much more we can do. (But we need to give them the reason first. That was my point. )

Lol yeah, it def should xD

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3 colleagues at work who all bought a fish tank roughly the same time. One has listened to everything and has yet to add fish. One messed up then listened and the other just does the opposite to what I suggest.

I told him not to get a plec for a while especially whilst the tank isn't cycling and he went and bought 5! Thought it was funny because he got a good deal.

He is letting his water age with chloramines before adding it to the tank. Refuses to do more than 20% change every TWO weeks.

Now he is trying to offload his ammonia damaged stock to one of the other guys because he wants 'a few' silver sharks.

I wouldn't mind but he is approaching 50.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is cycling -edit
Old 04-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

OP , it sounds like you are quite emotional about this issue. But what is the point of worrying about things you powerless to change? Your friend is not interested to learn, that's not the end of the world. I bet there are few topics that you (and anyone else )are apprehensive about. My sister for example being a dental professional deeply disapproves how I take care of my teeth. While she is perfectly right I plan on doing absolutely nothing about it. Surely i willvpay for it later , but flossing twice a day? Pffft, to much work, I brush enough

So don't worry, just smile and wave

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
OP , it sounds like you are quite emotional about this issue. But what is the point of worrying about things you powerless to change? Your friend is not interested to learn, that's not the end of the world. I bet there are few topics that you (and anyone else )are apprehensive about. My sister for example being a dental professional deeply disapproves how I take care of my teeth. While she is perfectly right I plan on doing absolutely nothing about it. Surely i willvpay for it later , but flossing twice a day? Pffft, to much work, I brush enough

So don't worry, just smile and wave

Lol when I posted this it was 5 min after it. I had steam coming from my ears xD. Lol I'm much more calm now :P But still annoys me greatly that he completely ignored me. Floss your teeth vs Help your fish? Not the best analogy x)

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

The analogy is in the fact that all of us have a side that not completely meets expectations of others and even "common sense" sometimes. Your friend completely ignored you , I bet you don't take 100% of his suggestions about your lifestyle to heart either. Such is life... You can steam, scream, jump around and things still not going to change. So why bother?

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I totally agree. There are some topics that for whatever reason we are unapproachable about. They want mom to have a colonoscopy. She begs me not to have it. I went with mom's pleadings and nixed the colonoscopy. At 92, she's had a long good life. If she doesn't want it she shouldn't have it. On the other hand I made her get 2 root canals b/c suffering was imminent without them. I liked the flossing analogy. I think it's a point well made.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I mean it's comparing living things (fish) with teeth... Other than that it works though :P

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com