Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sad Day for LFS

One of the better LFS in the area is closing its doors after 18 1/2 years in business. They always had clean tanks and nice fish. They were a little expensive but I would drive 40 minutes just to go there. I am a little bummed about it.

Any SF Bay area locals that are looking for stuff might want to check out their going out of business sales. Here is the store's web site:http://www.theaquarium.tv/

Old 03-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
I just posted another topic about the same thing in general discussion! Sucks don't it??!?!?! That was my favorite place.
Where else do you go greenfish? I live about 45 minutes away from you.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
AH bummer. Sometimes its worth it to pay a little more.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 03-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

dr_girlfriend - I go to Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, Octopus's Garden in Berkeley, Albany Aquarium in Albany, and Connies Tropical Fish in Castro Valley. There really isn't anything decent I have found yet on this side of the hill. Are there any other decent LFS near you?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, there is a small place called Concord Aquarium. I've only been there once, because they have no air conditioning and it was summer and I almost died
The owners are really nice and informative, but it is a very small place. Not alot of dry goods/hardware. Their stock looks good, I've never bought any so I can't say for sure. (Well, I bought a betta whos lived for about 7 months now.) Their prices are actually a little cheaper than The Aquarium though. (I saw a light fixture that was almost half the price). If youre ever out this way, might be worth checking it out.
Theres also a place in Pleasant Hill called "All About Fish". Its a very large place. The owner is nice, doesn't speak very good english though. Its more of a salt/reef place. They have a huge selection of corals and marine fish. The livestock looks pretty good (except for the goldfish, of course I'm picky when it comes to those )
and cheaper than the aquarium. Hardware/dry goods are astronomically high. But they do have a large selection. Tons of tanks and stands too.
You would think there would be more "good" places around the bay area? Maybe in the city? I think I've heard good things about Aquarium Concepts, are they any good?

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been to Concord Aquarium and did not really care for it. The dry goods there seemed decent though.

I have heard of "All About Fish" and I was planning on going there next time I was in the area.

Aquarium Concepts is a clean large store. They have a good selection of dry goods. Their SW fish and corals are nice. Their FW selection sometimes leaves a little bit to be desired in my opinion.

Octopus's Garden usually has some decent fish and some of the harder to find species. Not a lot of dry goods here.

Albany Aquarium's selection of live plants is second to none in the area. Their fish are ok. The dry goods selection is almost non-existant.

Connies Tropical Fish in Castro Valley is a kind of a strange store but it is decent enough for a look if you are ever in the area.

Wet Pets in Pleasanton is a small store that sometimes has good deals on used tanks. The fish there are ok but I have seen some pretty serious Ich there.

Pet Extreme in Livermore has a decent selection of dry goods but I would NOT buy fish there. I have seen LOTS of dead and sick fish.

Aquapet in Livermore is a dinky store that has some potential now that they have moved to a new location but I am in a wait and see mode with this one.

I have heard that Ocean's Aquarium in the San Francisco is nice but I rarely ever go to SF except for Giants games.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well guess I'll take a little trip one of these days and check a few of them out. I guess the closest one would be livermore, still a 45 minute drive though thanks for the info!
Maybe i'll check out the one in SF one of these days, I don't really go there either unless I have to. (I hate parking there)

Closed Thread

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com