Static Electricity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy! Good thing he didn't spontaneously combust. Got to be careful mixing wool and nylon! Static electricity is a funny thing. I hate picking up cans off the shelf at the super market because I always get these huge shocks. This never happens to my husband or others I know but it always happens to me. I usually get shocks off of metal doors too, especially car doors.

I seriously doubt the validity of the story. How is it possible that he never came in contact with anything to dissipate the charge? Also, if he was leaving scorch marks behind him, he would have felt it and the current would certainly have come in contact with his feet. 8O

I've worn a nylon coat over a wool sweater many a time, and never managed to zap any of my fellow subway travellers into oblivion yet. :cry: :twisted:

There's definitely an important part of this story missing from the article! The guy would have had to been wearing thick rubber hip waders to prevent the charge from dissipating.

oh I know! he actually had artificial legs that were made from fiberglass! yea.. thats it! :D

i saw on spontanous combustion yesterday :). it turns out (they say) the fires started from the people smokaing, and one lady, she put a shell with sodium on it. they said when the sodium came in contact with a wet handkerchief it got hot and ignited :? sounds really unlikely though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom