Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

My 2 cents on the subject, the " it worked for so and so, so it must be correct" is mediocrity at best. The way I see it, my live revolves around science and I use it everyday as a living. A huge part of science is respecting life, especially when it is such a rare ocurrence in the universe as every evidence suggets. When it comes to a living being mediocrity just does not cut it. If you can't keep a living being out of mediocre conditions, don't bother, be responsible.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
My 2 cents on the subject, the " it worked for so and so, so it must be correct" is mediocrity at best. The way I see it, my live revolves around science and I use it everyday as a living. A huge part of science is respecting life, especially when it is such a rare ocurrence in the universe as every evidence suggets. When it comes to a living being mediocrity just does not cut it. If you can't keep a living being out of mediocre conditions, don't bother, be responsible.

I think that's the point of this debate: WHO determins what is mediocre conditions? You... a person, or the fish.. and it's ancestry? The science says that what most people here are arguing in favor of is not correct, based on the needs of the fish. Many in this debate express opinions as facts when they aren't backed by the true facts. But this is not a new debate. This has been going on for decades that I know of and probably centuries by those opposed to the fighting of these fish. Who's right, who's wrong? Can they both be right, or wrong? In this case, maybe yes.

I am all in favor of everyone expressing their opinions on the subject and them keeping their fish the way THEY want to keep them but what I truly oppose is someone telling me their opinion and claiming it's a fact. I've even asked some of these people to show me where they get their facts from but have not gotten answers. I've only been working with these fish for over 40 years, from keeping them as pets to breeding them commercially. I know that you can't create quality fish from mediocre methods which is why I challenge those who say they NEED to be in larger volumes of water. THAT goes against the science.

So I'm sure the debate will continue

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I have edited and deleted some posts.

A refresher of the rules.
Quote:
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, name calling, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
If I have to intervene again I will close the thread.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I first got my betta on my birthday, with my auntie and she gave me a vase to put him in. I felt so bad for it so I saved up and ironed my dads shirt and two weeks later he had a nice 5gallon tank he shares with a few ghost shrimp! They get along great, he is probably one of the friendliest fish Ive ever owned! He even swims up to play with my german shepherds lol! :S Im thinking of some day putting in a few neon tetras, but maybe in a bigger tank which I will have to beg for at christmas. :P

My aunties fish is in one of those stupid cliche goldfish bowls with a massive plant in it so he has nowhere to move.. and he is a beautiful fish too. He seems so unhappy.. Nowhere near as playful as mine..

STOP BETTA ABUSE!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomimcc_byron View Post
I first got my betta on my birthday, with my auntie and she gave me a vase to put him in. I felt so bad for it so I saved up and ironed my dads shirt and two weeks later he had a nice 5gallon tank he shares with a few ghost shrimp! They get along great, he is probably one of the friendliest fish Ive ever owned! He even swims up to play with my german shepherds lol! :S Im thinking of some day putting in a few neon tetras, but maybe in a bigger tank which I will have to beg for at christmas. :P

My aunties fish is in one of those stupid cliche goldfish bowls with a massive plant in it so he has nowhere to move.. and he is a beautiful fish too. He seems so unhappy.. Nowhere near as playful as mine..

STOP BETTA ABUSE!!!!!!
Well since we know the bowl isn't the problem, may I suggest you suggest to your auntie that she either replace the plant with a smaller one or trim it back so the fish has some swimming room.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is how bettas are at my WALMART a super store that sells fish ~_~

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-810158519.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	193803
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1489354917.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	193804   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3741790771.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	193805  

Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman87 View Post
This is how bettas are at my WALMART a super store that sells fish ~_~
Aww :'( the 2nd one looks like one of mine
Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is sure a heated debate. I think each person has to take care of their fish to the best of their ability and really anything is probably better than being in dirty water in a little cup that people rotate and tap on all day trying to get the bettas to move around. I keep mine in tanks from 1 gallon to 29 gallons with no issues. They each get an Indian Almond Leaf piece and a plant of some sort. When I was young - like 20 years ago I had bettas that bred in a bowl! Not that it is a good idea since I didn't know how to take care of the fry back then but they were happy enough to breed.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Andy how hard is it to keep water parameters stable in a half gal?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post

The same is true for goldfish. Some people think they can shove a fancy goldfish in a 20 gallon tank and that it will be healthy and happy! Can you believe that??
It's one thing to do it out of ignorance (doubtless we've all been guilty of that) but some people, despite all information and advice to the contrary, still do it anyway. Incomprehensible.
Yea I kno my boss was going to get her daughter a 10g tank with a betta a goldfish and two plecos and I told her not to and after ten mins of explaining y she wouldn't listen I feel sorry for the fish she buys

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com