Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27 View Post

Yes. It's basically a giant Walstad Method aquarium she wants. It's really not out of the realm of reality. I made one (albeit 1/75th the size ) and it does work very well. It's also the same principles that give Rivercats her awesome growth in her 220g. Although Rivercats obviously takes much better care than this woman would
Hmmm I would have never thought. I just heard about the Walstad method, she's amazing. No ferts? No frequent water changes? No co2? Sounds crazy but she does it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Hmmm I would have never thought. I just heard about the Walstad method, she's amazing. No ferts? No frequent water changes? No co2? Sounds crazy but she does it.
It is a pretty interesting method to say the least. Also hard to get going in a larger tank, which is why I am still to this day wildly impressed with Rivercats tank. I attempted it in a 10g with dirt and a sand cap, my Corydoras removed the cap and made it a blackwater tank! The principle is that the plants and dirt bacteria will take care of most of the waste. This eliminates the major need for ferts and the water stays healthy from all the plants. Now Rivercats uses filters and liquid carbon, but its still based around the same dirt with a cap method.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Check out theplantedtank forum. It can and does work BUT you must do your research as I believe its low lighting and proper plant selection and growing plants above water last but not least proper stocking of fish. It's a down the road thing I may try.

If I were in your shoes and if she lives close by.... You basically get to experiment with someone else's money so if you decided to try it you would know what was needed and what was fluff.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh and at the start WC are normal and after it stabilized (3-8 months ) water changes I've read being up to 6 months apart. But that requires a TDS meter and testing weekly I've read of them going as far as having the ammonia nitrite nitrate monitors that are always on $$$$$$$
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is amazing. Maybe I should help her then!! Water changes? lol we don't need no stinken water changes.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This is amazing. Maybe I should help her then!! Water changes? lol we don't need no stinken water changes.
Haha if you do the Walstad Method, initial water changes are needed. That and fast growing plants to absorb the inevitable excess nutrients. Just read up on it, it is pretty fascinating
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Haha if you do the Walstad Method, initial water changes are needed. That and fast growing plants to absorb the inevitable excess nutrients. Just read up on it, it is pretty fascinating
I will read up on it as it fascinates me

Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Hey Convict .... I just went back and re-read your initial post ... BTW your right, your wife owes you ...I was getting a headache after reading about what she wants.

You said she does NOT want plants so NOT much of a chance of this thing working without plants or more regular PWC's for filtration. Dirt and DW's not going to be enough ... something has to consume / remove the nitrates. UNLESS of course ... you put on that charm and talk her into plants. At least she's asking for Neons .. Imagine if she wanted Oscars?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post

Hey Convict .... I just went back and re-read your initial post ... BTW your right, your wife owes you ...I was getting a headache after reading about what she wants.

You said she does NOT want plants so NOT much of a chance of this thing working without plants or more regular PWC's for filtration. Dirt and DW's not going to be enough ... something has to consume / remove the nitrates. UNLESS of course ... you put on that charm and talk her into plants. At least she's asking for Neons .. Imagine if she wanted Oscars?
Yeah...originally he says she wants no plants...a couple posts later he says heavily planted...haha only going to work with plants!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Yeah...originally he says she wants no plants...a couple posts later he says heavily planted...haha only going to work with plants!
Ugh .. Didn't get that far in the re-reads. I think we're all going to have headaches after this thread's done.

Tags
filter, tan, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com