Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Readingexcalibur said:
When you make the trip out here to Vegas, and go into Acrylicaquariums (tanked) shop. You can watch threw the giant plexiglas wall while they make the tanks. They have about 20 volunteers at any given time, and everyone on the show is out on the floor too. It's not like pawnstars where you never see the guys.

Redneck is normaly grilling in the Parking Lot... Lol

That would be cool!

I have always thought it was "TV Magic" and the show just made it look like they added the fish immediately after they added water, rocks corals etc...to just skip the "boring" but important part of owning tanks. I personally love the show and have been watching it and started thinking about that and for them to say that they love fish and all that stuff, I just can't see them putting a bunch of fish in there that will die so quickly. It doesn't make sense to me but I personally don't know the INS/OUTS of the show and what they do. But I agree, they should have atleast 1 show dedicated to care, maintainence and how to properly care for the fish/tank. But, if they did that, i would assume a lot of people would take the care/maintaince into their own hands and I'm guessing that ATM does maintainance on the tanks as well so they would be losing money.

The thing is, these tanks are built to order in 3 weeks or so, judging by what you hear on the show.That's not even long enough to cycle.

emerald76 said:
The thing is, these tanks are built to order in 3 weeks or so, judging by what you hear on the show.That's not even long enough to cycle.

Its more than possible to cycle faster than 3 weeks. I despise ATM if nothing more than for the fact that it a big game to them. They put a mimic octopus in what looked like a 30g in wall tank... They supposedly slap on commercial duty filtration systems and dont bother with LR or coral, the phone booth tank nuked itself, the bubble gun machine fried when the chiller gave out, and the jukebox, i cant even remember what halpened there. All in all its a horrible show, horrible company, an a waste of time to even watch. As for the uber-rich people that dot know a single thing about their tank yet own 3/4/500g+ tanks, their monetary losses associated in their tanks is far more then a majority of ours budgets for a complete setup.

huma-huma said:
Its more than possible to cycle faster than 3 weeks. I despise ATM if nothing more than for the fact that it a big game to them. They put a mimic octopus in what looked like a 30g in wall tank... They supposedly slap on commercial duty filtration systems and dont bother with LR or coral, the phone booth tank nuked itself, the bubble gun machine fried when the chiller gave out, and the jukebox, i cant even remember what halpened there. All in all its a horrible show, horrible company, an a waste of time to even watch. As for the uber-rich people that dot know a single thing about their tank yet own 3/4/500g+ tanks, their monetary losses associated in their tanks is far more then a majority of ours budgets for a complete setup.

Ummm, the phone booth tank is fine, and it's at blue reef aquatics on lossee rd. The guy moved back to new York and didn't take it. Call blue reef for yourself. The tanks are fine, and they don't cycle the tank, the do the BB in a bottle. Again, not agreeing with there method.

And the mimic octopus is in a 60g. The back half of the tank hangs into the store area. Again, not saying it's right, buy rest assured, they are not hiding anything...

jsmith said:
Whats a live filter?

A filter that has been run on an existing tank in order to establish bb colonies. That's probably not what it is called but that's what I'd call it.

Perhaps a cycled filter would be a better term

christine2012 said:
A filter that has been run on an existing tank in order to establish bb colonies. That's probably not what it is called but that's what I'd call it.

Perhaps a cycled filter would be a better term

And theoretically that should work, but in some cases it is catastrophic. If the colonies of live bacteria don't establish, they all die off and pollute the water to a terrible state.
Even a fish only tank has a balance that needs to be achieved before fish and certainly corals have a chance of survival. That isn't accomplished in a afternoon. It's great for high rollers that don't mind flushing beautiful fish, but I think it borders on criminal behavior. These fish aren't disposable so you can brag to your rich friend about your fish tank, at least not in my world. If you want a ornament for your house, buy a Picasso (the painter, not the fish...). So, I like their tanks, but don't like their somewhat relaxed behavior when it comes to follow up and a real effort to keep the live stock alive. Putting fish in a big gumball machine in the Vegas sun is irresponsible. I have to share the hobby with them and share outrage from environmentalists that point out how the collected fish are being used, just watch the show and see what happened to all those fish. And they would be right to be outraged. I swim these same reefs and would be horrified to see fish captured to die 6 months later in some high rollers living room. As mentioned earlier, some of these customers don't even bother to understand what is in their tank. Only being responsible and giving back to nature as best we can will allow our hobby to survive as more and more reefs suffer.

My comments are not to sound elitist in any way, I have been in the business for decades and sold lots of fish to people I knew were going to kill them. It is the main reason I closed my LFS. Nobody wanted to hear the truth.

Last edited:
They should at least explain that they are using bottled bacteria so that people that do not know better don't make the mistake of just throwing fish into a non-cycled tank.

It is absolutely possible to cycle in days. I used Dr Tim's on my tank. Took less than a week, no problems three months later. I heard about their products, looked them up, saw testimonials online and decided to give it a try. I'm not sure I would trust other brands. These guys seem to have some science to back their product up. The others don't seem as convincing to me.

Tod I stand behind your opinion I just watch the show bc the beautiful tanks they build. Like said in my earlier comment there's a lot of behind the scenes we don't see I know this from personal experience from a close friend that did a show for speed channel

Steve silbernagel said:
I feel like a hipicrit but I had to do a rush acclimation tonight bc of an unexpected errand

Hear hear lost a purple fire fish .. to boot my daughter picked it out.. i only temp ed it droped it in .. being five years old im going to have to buy a new pne before tomorrow ... had i known i was making a dumb choice i woulda went for the 70 dollar one thats less common..( hitachi) sorry for mis spelling.

I finally got to see the TracyMorgan shark tank episode. They actually mentioned that they had to wait a few days for the bacteria to get to good levels. That was it though. Kinda cool how he had so many other tanks in his place too.

He has a lot invested. I wonder if he ever touches them himself. I want to see the episode when they have to remove a 300 pound shark from his basement up those stairs.

He, and other people with lots of money, probably don't ever do anything more than enjoy their tanks when they are home. They have professional cleaning services do the "work". In his case, he is probably not around enough to care for the tanks, but his fiancée and kid seemed to like them too. I'm not sure that is all bad though. To me, it's like saying that if you have the money to purchase an exotic sports car, you have to wash it and do tune-ups yourself. Aquariums obviously deal with living creatures, but as long as someone is caring for them, to me it does not matter who. I think people on boards like this probably get a deeper appreciation out of the hobby. I'd be the rich guy who cleaned his own tanks and I'd probably wash my exotic sports car if I ever got one too. :)

TheTodd said:
He, and other people with lots of money, probably don't ever do anything more than enjoy their tanks when they are home. They have professional cleaning services do the "work". In his case, he is probably not around enough to care for the tanks, but his fiancée and kid seemed to like them too. I'm not sure that is all bad though. To me, it's like saying that if you have the money to purchase an exotic sports car, you have to wash it and do tune-ups yourself. Aquariums obviously deal with living creatures, but as long as someone is caring for them, to me it does not matter who. I think people on boards like this probably get a deeper appreciation out of the hobby. I'd be the rich guy who cleaned his own tanks and I'd probably wash my exotic sports car if I ever got one too. :)

I was once told if you have the money to buy that car you have the money to have someone detail it.. NO.. If i had someone do it, I wouldnt appreciate the fact i was the one that was able to get it dirty.

Back
Top Bottom