This is sad :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think everybody is entitled to eat what they want and other's need to be respectful and not ridicule and belittle others for what their beliefs are. However we are all morally obligated to show compassion and to do it humanely boiling lobster to death isn't very compassionate and it has been proven that lobsters have a very receptive nervous system and can feel pain. I eat lobster but we use a knife to severe the brain stem prior to the plunge.

You can put the lobster in the fridge, then sever its brain stem and that is likely the most humane way. When it comes to putting them in boiling water, I believe I remember Alton Brown saying on Food Network that the lobster is dead in 6 seconds or less when it is placed in boiling water.

Either way, all animals are pretty much painfully killed no matter what. Cows are 'stunned' then they have their throat cut and are left to bleed out. Lamb in the same way. Turtles in other countries are bred in tiny containers in their hundreds and sold as snacks. The fish we keep are in many other countries sold as food in one form or another. Take bird nest soup for example, made of bird spit, do you picture a chef having a bird next to him hocking one up? There is some degree of animal cruelty in every country on earth.

In England we allow any Moron to buy what ever pet they want. This in it's self to me is animal cruelty. The fact is we can't stop acts like this from going on we can merely make sure we don't do it ourselves. Sure we care but do you think some poor fisherman pulling lobster out of the ocean, getting paid peanuts, for a big company to sell it to an American for an overpriced fee, really cares if the lobster he just caught might have babies inside, they are trying to feed their family like everyone else.

I agree! Animal cruelty goes on in every country, doesn't make it right or acceptable and we need to all do "our" own little part to ensure we don't contribute to this problem.

Nomadu571 said:
Either way, all animals are pretty much painfully killed no matter what. Cows are 'stunned' then they have their throat cut and are left to bleed out. Lamb in the same way. Turtles in other countries are bred in tiny containers in their hundreds and sold as snacks. The fish we keep are in many other countries sold as food in one form or another. Take bird nest soup for example, made of bird spit, do you picture a chef having a bird next to him hocking one up? There is some degree of animal cruelty in every country on earth.

In England we allow any Moron to buy what ever pet they want. This in it's self to me is animal cruelty. The fact is we can't stop acts like this from going on we can merely make sure we don't do it ourselves. Sure we care but do you think some poor fisherman pulling lobster out of the ocean, getting paid peanuts, for a big company to sell it to an American for an overpriced fee, really cares if the lobster he just caught might have babies inside, they are trying to feed their family like everyone else.

The Canadian's say the same thing when they bash in the skulls of seals. They are just trying to feed families. Its part of their heritage. Does that make it ok then?? I don't think so.

I think the most common form of cruelty is people who put goldfish in 1 gallon bowls. Very common.

Tenochsun78 said:
The Canadian's say the same thing when they bash in the skulls of seals. They are just trying to feed families. Its part of their heritage. Does that make it ok then?? I don't think so.

No course not, but does it mean the seals have more right to an existence than the person they are feeding? I didn't say because it goes on its made right, it's a simple question of you doing the right thing. If each Canadian was to decide not to club seals then it wouldn't be an issue, but what right do you have to say the life of a seal is more important than the life of a child and their parents? We're top predators, that's nature. Polar bears kill seals too, you going to stop them eating as well?

What im trying to get across is that it happens and it will happen because the lowest spitter cares more for their lives and the lives of their families than they do about how an animal feels when it dies.

All WE can do is make sure we do not do the same and buy products which encourage better care of the animal.

I'm agreeing with what your saying don't get me wrong however you don't see a polar bear with a hakapik killing the seal if it was up to mother nature there would be no "made man" devices to kill. Anyway it sounds like I am arguing with you and on the contrary I believe 100% in what your message is..... It is up to us not to contribute

Yeah I get you we do take more than we should as a species. Technology has made it easy for us to kill these animals, but still born out of a need to survive and eat. I can't argue that we kill whey too many animals and waste so much when we do.

I personally think that we as humans are programmed to eat meat and it's an important part of our diet. But I also believe its our duty to kill animals with respect and care. Native Americans never wasted ANY part of a kill. They utilized everything they could. These days hunting and fishing are very irresponsible. I was watching a show on CNN a few nights ago about shark fishing competitions in Maine where people would literally go out and kill huge sharks and bring the back for a cash prize then toss the corpse. There are also people that catch sharks and cut off there fins to make purses and leathers and toss the shark(still alive) finless back into the ocean. Bottom line: I think we should still hunt/fish but more responsibly than we are right now. And I just don't understand vegetarians that say eating animals is wrong. Because humans have been doing it for thousand of years right?

Nomadu571 said:
No course not, but does it mean the seals have more right to an existence than the person they are feeding? I didn't say because it goes on its made right, it's a simple question of you doing the right thing. If each Canadian was to decide not to club seals then it wouldn't be an issue, but what right do you have to say the life of a seal is more important than the life of a child and their parents? We're top predators, that's nature. Polar bears kill seals too, you going to stop them eating as well?

What im trying to get across is that it happens and it will happen because the lowest spitter cares more for their lives and the lives of their families than they do about how an animal feels when it dies.

All WE can do is make sure we do not do the same and buy products which encourage better care of the animal.

I have also been thinking tthis for a while..people say eww and squish bugs for no reason and it offends me. I think, that bug has a purpose. Who am i to think mine is more significant?

I HATE when people squish bugs. I read an article that said if bees where to go extinct, the human race wouldn't survive for more than 4 years.

Thats it, were no better or significant, but it's nature to do what we do, but as we have evolved we have a better understanding of how to kill and use animals in more resourceful and respectful way. It's our duty to take care of our planet and it's sustainability, BUT trying to convince a poor fisherman or hunter he shouldn't kill and sell his meat so he can feed his family is a different issue. Most of the products we use in the UK, and I can't speak for our American cousins, are from 'farms' which maximise output for better profit. If they Diddnt do this they wouldn't have a business. This again might not be the stereotypical 'poor fisherman' but in the same way is trying to earn money and put food on the table.

It's a complicated argument but I can see from both sides.

Tenochsun78 said:
We talking about common Joe fisherman trying to feed his family or factory farming and fishing?? Or all the above?

Poor fisherman in china selling his catch to large American corporations.

Either way the point is the same. I don't want to get into a huge discussion I just wanted to make the point that people kill in its most basic form for food and money(sale). If your trying to make money from it you might not care as much about the animal as someone keeping it as a pet. Trying to persuade a poor fisherman or a big company to make less profit in order to care more for their product, you would meet the same response.

Animal cruelty happens everywhere so changing your view is the only way to combat it.

Last thought, a quick example;

Say i have a large tank with one wild cod, dont know what size maybe someone could recommend the right size for a wild cod, I'm guessing quite large. This wild cod I keep for a 6 months/year fattening it up. I take it out and sell it as cod for chips in a shop, from one fish I have two servings. Each serving costs the customer £5, I sell it to the shop for £3 each.

The running of my tank and food and lighting and electric, filtration, salt. Would be alot more than £6.

Therefore I would need to keep a far greater amount of cod in one tank in order to pay for their keeping. I would be giving them sub-standard conditions, or face not making any money at all and being in financial ruin.

In the same way,

Say I catch lobster for the local market. I have to catch say 30 lobster a day in order to meet my requirement otherwise I won't have enough money to cover my costs for fishing and selling.

I fish for 10 hours a day which means I have to catch 3 lobster an hour in order just to be able to go out and catch lobster the next day. In order to feed my family pay for my food any stupidly large wild cod tank, I need to catch an extra 3 on top of my minimum, so I have at least 90 per day.

So now my hypothetical daughter wants an iPod. Which means I need to catch even more. But in a 10 hour day I can't physically catch humanely and check every single lobster. So I catch a net load every hour, collect them for the market and make my money, otherwise I will face financial ruin and my hypothetical daughter will hate me for not getting her an iPod.

Jut a thought. Lol

Last thought, a quick example;

Say i have a large tank with one wild cod, dont know what size maybe someone could recommend the right size for a wild cod, I'm guessing quite large. This wild cod I keep for a 6 months/year fattening it up. I take it out and sell it as cod for chips in a shop, from one fish I have two servings. Each serving costs the customer £5, I sell it to the shop for £3 each.

The running of my tank and food and lighting and electric, filtration, salt. Would be alot more than £6.

Therefore I would need to keep a far greater amount of cod in one tank in order to pay for their keeping. I would be giving them sub-standard conditions, or face not making any money at all and being in financial ruin.

In the same way,

Say I catch lobster for the local market. I have to catch say 30 lobster a day in order to meet my requirement otherwise I won't have enough money to cover my costs for fishing and selling.

I fish for 10 hours a day which means I have to catch 3 lobster an hour in order just to be able to go out and catch lobster the next day. In order to feed my family pay for my food any stupidly large wild cod tank, I need to catch an extra 3 on top of my minimum, so I have at least 90 per day.

So now my hypothetical daughter wants an iPod. Which means I need to catch even more. But in a 10 hour day I can't physically catch humanely and check every single lobster. So I catch a net load every hour, collect them for the market and make my money, otherwise I will face financial ruin and my hypothetical daughter will hate me for not getting her an iPod.

Jut a thought. Lol

AWESOME!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom