what animals do you have besides fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE African Greys...they are sooo talented, and you really do have to watch what you say around them, cause they pick up stuff at the drop of a hat. My Amazon talks a lot, but I can't seem to teach him new words anymore. He learned things fairly easily in the first ten years, but now he improvises new words from the ones he has always said, and changes sentences all around. It's frequently funny, and sometimes doesn't make any sense, but always enjoyable when he's talking and not screeching.

I'm going to try to get the pictures up, first should be Pedro the parrot,DroidPhotos 015a.jpgthen Lulu the Maine Coon (otherwise known as the Queen of Mean according to Zoe, the penguin), then Daisy, the so-called lab mix (according to the SPCA), and last is Niles, the Russian Blue.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 71
  • droid x pics 094a.jpg
    droid x pics 094a.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 78
  • droid x pics 099.jpg
    droid x pics 099.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 70
This is one of temporary cats, Stewie. I currently have 3 temporary cats in addition to my own kitty and my other pets that are already on this thread.

Attachments

• PB111533.jpg
    PB111533.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 47
The Russian blue is pretty cool how big is the coon? They can get huge

Actually, she is relatively small, but has a brother that is massive. But she doesn't have the sweet personality usually attributed to the coons, except with her mommy, my daughter. Funny how much personality animals have, each one different, just like people.

img_1642934_0_070d0092f79f4bb5f9c83792a280b36e.jpg

img_1642934_1_d9b1e9fc458ed720a02381fe59fbdc97.jpg

And we also breed pugs.....

Here's a shot of a recent little boy.

img_1642934_2_3dc1d9849da74ddfacb0aaff846e9c17.jpg

And here's what they become. Want one?

img_1642934_3_cfa58877554cc2077621509eea25770e.jpg

@phramque, LOVE the parrots. :) What are their names?

CAG - Alex

B&G - Max

We may be getting another addition to the family. Some friends of ours are going to be moving, and they may not be able to take their Ubrella Cockatoo with them, so we volunteered to take her in if they can't..... she's an absolute lover with everyone, so I won't mind...

Umbrella cockatoos are amazing! That would be awesome.
Both your birds are lovely. :)
Did you name the grey after Alex the famous talker and subject of a couple books, or is that just coincidence?

Did you name the grey after Alex the famous talker and subject of a couple books, or is that just coincidence?

That was coincidence... We didn't know the name of Dr. Pepperberg's bird until after we named ours. But now I'm glad we did, since her bird passed away just a few years ago....
CAG's are smart as all get-out, and they can mimic anything. If we're sitting out on the back deck, she'll imitate the phone ringing just to get someone to come back into the house, and will then laugh at you. She'll call & whistle for the dog's to go outside..... luckily they picked up on that trick. Anyone who says humans are the only ones with intelligent reasoning have never lived with an African Grey.

That was coincidence... We didn't know the name of Dr. Pepperberg's bird until after we named ours. But now I'm glad we did, since her bird passed away just a few years ago....
CAG's are smart as all get-out, and they can mimic anything. If we're sitting out on the back deck, she'll imitate the phone ringing just to get someone to come back into the house, and will then laugh at you. She'll call & whistle for the dog's to go outside..... luckily they picked up on that trick. Anyone who says humans are the only ones with intelligent reasoning have never lived with an African Grey.
Have you read her book? I ma thinking about buy it. I have seen some TV specials on her and Alex and it was AMAZING how he could put words together and understand the meaning. :)
I would love an African grey. But, I live in tiny town, so there are not many birds readily available. Someday, I would like to adopt one though.

Have you read her book? I ma thinking about buy it. I have seen some TV specials on her and Alex and it was AMAZING how he could put words together and understand the meaning. :)
I would love an African grey. But, I live in tiny town, so there are not many birds readily available. Someday, I would like to adopt one though.

We have both The Alex Studies and Alex & Me..... Very informative books.

Be careful if you adopt one... CAG's typically bond to one person as they mature (we finished hand feeding ours), and if they go to a different home as an adult, they can be very difficult to work with..... i.e.- have lots of bandages on hand, as you will likely take many bites in the process. It can definitely be done, but an immense amount of patience is required.

We have both The Alex Studies and Alex & Me..... Very informative books.

Be careful if you adopt one... CAG's typically bond to one person as they mature (we finished hand feeding ours), and if they go to a different home as an adult, they can be very difficult to work with..... i.e.- have lots of bandages on hand, as you will likely take many bites in the process. It can definitely be done, but an immense amount of patience is required.
Thanks. :) I do know that they tend to not re-home well sometimes. I know lots of parrots tend to pick one gender or another as a preference, so I figured it would be easiet to make sure I found one that likes women. Thanks for the advice though! I will make sure I have lots of bandages if I am ever able to get one. But, I want to a bit more large bird experience before I try adopting one. Lots of bird adoption agencies won't let you adopt one without previous parrot experience. Thats probably a good idea on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom