What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easy day.

Qt1/2/3 all the same, -10+10 litres
45litre egg tank, -2+3
Puffer +1 RO

Night feed.
Puffer ate bloodworms like spaghetti, interesting. Same thing yesterday, accidentally ate sinking carnivore pellets, does not yet recognise these as food. He knows what bloodworms are.

This is the bit I don't like, waiting on a seemingly empty tank.
Will they hatch? How many will survive? How many will have deformity?
Same questions every time. Two weeks to go.

Qt1/2/3 all the same, -10+10 litres 45litre egg tank, -2+3 Puffer +1 RO Night feed. Puffer ate bloodworms like spaghetti, interesting. Same thing yesterday, accidentally ate sinking carnivore pellets, does not yet recognise these as food. He knows what bloodworms are. This is the bit I don't like, waiting on a seemingly empty tank. Will they hatch? How many will survive? How many will have deformity? Same questions every time. Two weeks to go.

Wow!! Fish room looks great! I can't wait to see pictures of everything when complete! And I'm sure many baby Cory's will be waiting for you daily! Waiting is hardddd!!!!

Those itanks are neat, have you set up yet?

i have not yet, i am still debating what to do with it. since it is acrylic, it would be easy to drill so I'm thinking maybe a nano reef with a 5 gallon sump and fill the drawer with rubble rocks. i saw someone on another forum with an itank 5g nano reef and it looked pretty sweet

Wow!! Fish room looks great! I can't wait to see pictures of everything when complete! And I'm sure many baby Cory's will be waiting for you daily! Waiting is hardddd!!!!

Waiting is always a test. It's always the same, just as your about to give up, life appears!

There is a more detailed account on my flickr page. A complete set of the spawning process is detailed there along with build and progress pics. The set is called "my fishes and fish house build"

Thank you for your compliments.:D

Not a good day overall.

12 Dec, Thursday.

So, I entered fish house, airline not in qt1, (very dry) dead fish on floor, dead fish in tank. That's 2 more dead out of six, the shop have agreed one replacement as yet to be collected, so maybe four will have survived. Horrible accident? Normally everything is screwed down, the air pump I am using on this tank seems to rotate in circles. It is going in the bin. Airline more secured.
Rheophile tank, rig mods complete (I thought), length extended, added centre pipe, fixed strainer attachment by extending fixing. Super snug strainer fit, no glue required. Flow better, it seems now that flow rotates in a circular motion after a few minutes. Bubbles have changed direction but it is still not laminar, I will try fitting a second pump to balance up flow down the tank, this may need the flow control valve fitting to both pumps. Max flow will increase to 1540 litres per hour. Lights fitted to tank.

Early evening,
Qt 1 -8+5 litres. Filter complete, disaster two dead fish. (Jumped ship, no O2)
Qt 2 -10+10
Qt 3 -10+10

Late evening,
Qt 1/2/3 +5
120litre, +12
130litre -30+20 rig test and add sand.
Puffer +1 RO
750litre -100+100
45 litre egg tank +2

Night feed.

12 Dec, Thursday.

So, I entered fish house, airline not in qt1, (very dry) dead fish on floor, dead fish in tank. That's 2 more dead out of six, the shop have agreed one replacement as yet to be collected, so maybe four will have survived. Horrible accident? Normally everything is screwed down, the air pump I am using on this tank seems to rotate in circles. It is going in the bin. Airline more secured.
Rheophile tank, rig mods complete (I thought), length extended, added centre pipe, fixed strainer attachment by extending fixing. Super snug strainer fit, no glue required. Flow better, it seems now that flow rotates in a circular motion after a few minutes. Bubbles have changed direction but it is still not laminar, I will try fitting a second pump to balance up flow down the tank, this may need the flow control valve fitting to both pumps. Max flow will increase to 1540 litres per hour. Lights fitted to tank.

Early evening,
Qt 1 -8+5 litres. Filter complete, disaster two dead fish. (Jumped ship, no O2)
Qt 2 -10+10
Qt 3 -10+10

Late evening,
Qt 1/2/3 +5
120litre, +12
130litre -30+20 rig test and add sand.
Puffer +1 RO
750litre -100+100
45 litre egg tank +2

Night feed.

Ahhh that sucks dude, hopefully it wont happen again. What type of fish?

Replaced the crummy black plastic hood with a glass lid and DIY light fitting made from a PVC pipe. Light level in the tank is a lot brighter now, though it's not that obvious in the pictures. Am going to experiment with putting some legs on the light to lift it a little more.

before_hood.jpg

after_hood.jpg

Replaced the crummy black plastic hood with a glass lid and DIY light fitting made from a PVC pipe. Light level in the tank is a lot brighter now, though it's not that obvious in the pictures. Am going to experiment with putting some legs on the light to lift it a little more.

Looks much better, even makes the tank look longer. That old good you had looked atrocious, to be honest :s

Did a 10% WC for the sake of it really. Also bought a new thermometer which is showing a much more comfortable 27 degrees rather than the 34 that my old thermometer has been stuck on for a week

Ahhh that sucks dude, hopefully it wont happen again. What type of fish?

Two of the hill stream loach, I will not let it happen again! Like I said that air pump is going in the bin.

Before I had a load of pumps strung together feeding my tanks I changed the air system to one big pond pump, I reused the old pumps, this one normally feeds the brackish mix water (old set up) it just rested in the handle on the 25 litre container, it never moved, with all the commotion of new fish, new tanks and eggs I just set up temporary air without thinking. If you put the air pump on the sideboard with no props it turns in circles? This pulled the airline out of the tank, I assume the fish was on the airline at the time, the second died of asphyxia, that's my guess, it's the only way I can make sense of the scene.

I paid for the mistake.

Nice looking tank masha! I might pinch your light rig design, actually quite nice for an old bit of pipe. It gives me an idea!

What pipe did you use? I am thinking now about guttering systems as they have the end caps and brackets designed already.

You have landed on a winner.

Nice looking tank masha! I might pinch your light rig design, actually quite nice for an old bit of pipe. It gives me an idea!

What pipe did you use? I am thinking now about guttering systems as they have the end caps and brackets designed already.

You have landed on a winner.

Thanks! It's an old piece of pipe, cut in half. We thought afterwards that guttering would work, especially as you have the end pieces ready made. We had to cut our end pieces out of a flat piece of pvc.

I painted it with glossy white spray enamel over plastic primer, as the pvc just by itself is a bit grubby.

Thinking about making little legs out of thin pvc pipe slotted onto end pieces. My husband make instruments out of waste materials, so we have lots of the stuff lying around.

Now we are thinking about making another light fitting out of a section of bamboo, for the small betta tank. If we can find bamboo that's wide enough. Might look nice!

Thanks! It's an old piece of pipe, cut in half. We thought afterwards that guttering would work, especially as you have the end pieces ready made. We had to cut our end pieces out of a flat piece of pvc.

I painted it with glossy white spray enamel over plastic primer, as the pvc just by itself is a bit grubby.

Thinking about making little legs out of thin pvc pipe slotted onto end pieces. My husband make instruments out of waste materials, so we have lots of the stuff lying around.

Now we are thinking about making another light fitting out of a section of bamboo, for the small betta tank. If we can find bamboo that's wide enough. Might look nice!

Nice job, spray looks good, I love DIY tank things. I think I will go with the "natural" finish! It will fit into my room just nice. I'll save the spray for the models.
The instruments thing sounds very interesting, my brother is a serious guitarist/musician, I kind of play but not really. (Surplus) Building materials are dead handy. I have found numerous uses for odd bits of things. (Recycling almost)

Post pics if the bamboo works out! That would have a lovely finish!

I just finished setting up my (new dirt converted) 40B after moving two weeks ago.

image-512392718.jpg

Back
Top Bottom