What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Qt 1/2/3 -10+8 litres

Night feed.

Great display from the clowns, despite the odd mishap fish still rock!
Puffer absolutely gorging on bloodworms! Good day for the fish.

Blew up my new (literally) t5 light unit... I'm not happy.

Happend to me with my balist for the metal halides on the 60 cube, the balist costs 250$ but i was lucky and it was fixable and only costed me 15$ or so in supplys to repair it. What were they? Hope they werent to terrably expensive :O

Happend to me with my balist for the metal halides on the 60 cube, the balist costs 250$ but i was lucky and it was fixable and only costed me 15$ or so in supplys to repair it. What were they? Hope they werent to terrably expensive :O

Was only £80 (only...) But still has me peeved. And I dont know where to start with diagnosing the problem.

Came home and turned on the lights in the 37g, guess what i found swimming in a herd around my zoas and clove polyps? A herd of small shrimp! They are see through and are living in a crevice on one of nicest rocks.

image-1627175481.jpg

Thats the crevice that they live in, gonna go turn on the lights again in an hour to see what they are up to and hopefully catch a pic! Man, i love marine aquaria!!!

Also if you look in the very center you can see this spider looking thing, its got a glare on the eyes. It was hiding inside the clove polyps when i came in and then the herd of shrimp and it swam into their cave.

Just saw a bunch of shrimp in the crevice and about 20-30 baby shrimps moving in and out of the hole and into the passage throughout the rock. Here are some pics :D its awesome knowing that ive got little colonies living in my own tank!

image-1005693952.jpg

Attachments

• image-1233015882.jpg
    image-1233015882.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 65
Last few days just biding time. Work is very, very busy.

Filling evaporation. Feeding a varied diet.

I caught two dark red shrimp from my extra tank, of mixed ones, and moved them into my Fire Red tank.

My sick Rainbow Blue Platy died. There is one more sick one.

The babies in the other tank are doing great. There are at least 5 - one big, 3 regular and 1 so tiny it is a runt I guess. It seems it was the birth order, 1 one was the biggy. Last I think is the runt, lol. Seems logical.

I've had very little to do with my tanks this week since everything has been running pretty smoothly in my tanks. But today was busy so prepare for me to ramble a bit. I'll do a TL;DR (too long; didn't read) summary for those who want to skip my long winded post :D

Morning- Small flake feed, test water params on both tanks, both fine. I had plans to replant a tank so i prepped a bucket for the afternoon WC. Note to anyone who cares, i need a couple of extra 20L buckets which i've walked past at the hardware 12 times this month. I've gotten so used to seeing buckets littering the house since developing MTS that i don't notice them anymore until i need to fill or empty one.

Lunchtime- Fed both Comets some peas as i normally do twice weekly for digestion and because they are mad for them. Today was just a treat. I'll give either oranges slices or corn tomorrow. Both comets will now eat orange slices from between my fingertips. Decided to start WC & replant when feeding was done and fish was settled. Moved it to my spare 20 for a while in its own water from 70% WC. Wet my foot with gravel vac filling the tank instead of a taller bucket :facepalm:. I had been meaning to cut a longer tube for ages but also had a larger vac with no tube to fit. So i dried my foot and went to buy some tube for that. Saved about 10-15 minutes on WC with it when i got home but probably spent 45 minutes 'just looking' while at the hardware. It will be very handy to have when my 40g is running. Also looked at what was available for building an aquaponics set up to recycle some of my fish water in my spare room while at hardware. The spare room has a nice big window for lighting and all the space i should need for a gravity fed system. At some point i may expand it outdoors into a small greenhouse.

I got tired of trimming and replanting stem plants (mostly Ludwigia which filled close to 1/4 of my planting space) and bought some hang in store bags of tissue cultured Crypts yesterday. They've grown on me. C. Lucens went into my tank about 3-4 weeks back and did very little until last week or the week before when i added root tabs. Little guys are thriving now so i pulled about 1/3 of my stem jungle out and refilled those areas with C. Undulata 'Red' and C. Wedtii 'Brown' in 3 mixed zones. Hopefully they get some size to them fairly quickly with the addition of root tabs. Now i wait for the fill in process:popcorn: Will try and get a picture tomorrow if it's looking good. Cabomba looks great when it's not completely covered in brown algae. I had forgotten why i put it in my tank recently. Algae seems to be changing to a black hard fibre type that clings to the edges of leaves. Entirely new to me after about 8 years of having aquariums. Plants bring a whole new set of issues but i still luv em.

It should have taken about one hour to do all that but took three (with a food stop and a dash to the hardware to avoid wet feet in future). When i buy the hang in store plant bags that allegedly have 5 plants in them, i carefully split the roots (which grow in agar jelly) to get 10-20 plants from each bag. It's delicate work but worth the effort to get so many plants out of one bag. I probably wound up with a bit more than i needed so i'll see if the LFS wants to throw a couple in their newly planted Nano scaping display tank. They actually started me on Crypts by giving me the sample bag they got when a new rep started offering the bags to show what the product would look like. I was going to buy it anyway as i wanted to try crypts so they won some loyalty at that time. I would really like to scape their tank for them since they have left it almost bare. Just 2 ferns and some Pygmy chain sword. One very nice stone though.

Anyway long ramble over. As promised the too long didn't read section. I added this and the intro when i was done. I can make a short story long :lol:

TL;DR
- Fed fish.
- Shopped for specific diameter tubing & checked available parts for another project i have in mind soon.
- Altered my plant scape to fit 2 types of Crypts.
- Spent way too long breaking a 2x5 packs of Crypts into 20+ plants.

Light on the 20 busted out, i replaced the bulbs but its the socket that is busted. Gonna go out to the lfs looking for new lights. Not good, 130$ light down the drain. Fed the fish, watched the shrimp colonie going to work in their rock. One of the purple fire fish made his way to the other side of the tank which is a first for both of them, they have never been past the mushrooms.

Did tests on the 37g
All my tests are from API master kit,

Ph-8.3
Salinity-1.023 (tested with refractometer)
Nitite-0
Ammonia-0
Nitate-2
Phosphate-5
Calcium- 450
ALK-8
Everythings doing good, bought 10lbs of live rock for the 20 so that now i have 30lbs.

Found out that the "shrimp" are actually amphipods. Which means my fish get a yummy snack everyonce in a while :D.

Remembered i still have the lights from the 20 fresh, its a planted light but it should work for the salt.

Alright so i got the 11lbs piece of rock, the lfs is having a 5$ sale on live rock today, 55$. Taking it home to put in the 20.

Got my 93 gallon cube! The build thread will begin within a few weeks. I'm letting it warm up right now and then onto the stand it goes!

Nice, pm me a link to the thread once you start it. How much was it? What are the dimensions? My lfs has a 93 cube with 3 sea horses and a pipe fish. They look bigger than the volume you know?

Nice, pm me a link to the thread once you start it. How much was it? What are the dimensions? My lfs has a 93 cube with 3 sea horses and a pipe fish. They look bigger than the volume you know?
It was $600 for tank and stand. It would've usually been around $800 but it was on sale. I'm not home right now, but I believe the dimensions are 32x31x24 inches.

120litre -36+24 litres, +5ml K,+trace.
Qt1 -7+10
Qt2 -7+10 filter complete
Qt3 -10+5

45litre egg tank +1 RO.

Day/night feed.

All ok. (Except Cory, going to try the hyper salinity thing. Cheers Alan, fingers crossed)

120litre -36+24 litres, +5ml K,+trace.
Qt1 -7+10
Qt2 -7+10 filter complete
Qt3 -10+5

45litre egg tank +1 RO.

Day/night feed.

All ok. (Except Cory, going to try the hyper salinity thing. Cheers Alan, fingers crossed)

Good luck. It sounds like this mystery illness is common with them and usually sees them fade out over time. The example i read was just one persons experience and had no other examples of it working i could find so I hope it works for her. I don't think there are many fish owners who would go as far for their fish so she has been in good hands. Fingers are crossed.

Well this really sucks! I moved my torch coral to the top of the tank and guess what i found hiding in the rock behind it??? Any guesses?

A FREAKING MANTIS SHRIMP!!!!

Its about 3-4 inches and Has been feasting on my hermit crabs as there are about 7 shells right below its hole. The hole is at the bottom of the tank so i am gonna have to take out all the rock in the tank to catch it :(. Bad way to start the day.

Here are some oics of the little devil...

image-1537288773.jpg

image-4258464272.jpg

Sorry for bad qaulity ipad pics. In the 2nd pic you can see its two eyes behind the blennys lower back. It sucks because this is one of the blennys favorite spots and the mantis has been eyeing him closley... :(

Well this really sucks! I moved my torch coral to the top of the tank and guess what i found hiding in the rock behind it??? Any guesses? A FREAKING MANTIS SHRIMP!!!! Its about 3-4 inches and Has been feasting on my hermit crabs as there are about 7 shells right below its hole. The hole is at the bottom of the tank so i am gonna have to take out all the rock in the tank to catch it :(. Bad way to start the day. Here are some oics of the little devil... Sorry for bad qaulity ipad pics. In the 2nd pic you can see its two eyes behind the blennys lower back. It sucks because this is one of the blennys favorite spots and the mantis has been eyeing him closley... :(

Poor blenny! I miss mine, I had to give up my salt water hobby due to lack of hours in the day and tank space, it's good to see someone so attentive. Maybe you could bait the mantis using one of those species seperators and a green light?

Back
Top Bottom