What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caught 2 more fry yesterday. Knocked over a pot, disconnected the sponge filter, and took out a decoration in the process lol. Now I have to pick up the multicolored unnatural gravel (from the dirt cap on the pot) out of our natural gravel tank...not looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Replaced a diy co2 bottle. If pressure isnt up tomorrow I might replace the second oldest bottle. Hopefully by next weekend I can pull a new java fern off an old leaf ☺

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bought new fish. My Endler fish are being super bullies to my new Gold Dust Mollies. Hope it doesn't stress them out too much.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I went to the LFS and bought two new corys, which I brought home and floated in the tank, drip acclimated, and added in with my other corys. While siphoning to start the drip I got my first ever mouthful of aquarium water (the first of many, I'm sure). I topped off the tank and added a little Leaf Zone for the moneywort.

Finished my much delayed sump build, scaped and planted out the 35g the sump was for. I love the dimensions of this tank. It's still growing in but it has more front to back depth than height which is perfect for me as it provides plenty of planting space.

I was a little bit sad about a LFS closing. It had only been open 6 months and sold things cheaply but they were isolated for foot traffic so i thought they wouldn't have much sucess. Anyway as part of their clean out sale i picked up a 4x2x2 foot tank. I have been waiting for a tank of these dimensions to show up at the right price for a while so getting this new 120g beast for cost price was my christmas present to me. I will delay the set up of this tank a while. I want a RODI system before i start playing with that amount of water in weekly WC. I think i will build a pair of cannister filters for it. I should have it running midway through January (which for me probably translates to late March)

On the bad news side of things my Betta breeding plans have suffered another set back. On friday this week my new male betta i found to match my girl finished his quarantine. Unfortunately his mate departed this world on wednesday. Seems like the universe is telling me to let others breed fish that will mostly live in cramped quarters.

I've hit a point with selling snails at MY LFS beyond where i can spend it on food and other small things. I'd like to upgrade lighting on a couple of tanks so i think i'll ask them to order me in some planted plus fixtures pretty soon. About every two weeks they need more snails and my next order will bring me up to about $110. I've repurposed a 20g for growing stem plants to sell them too so i'll not be spending a lot of real money there any time soon.

Finished my much delayed sump build, scaped and planted out the 35g the sump was for. I love the dimensions of this tank. It's still growing in but it has more front to back depth than height which is perfect for me as it provides plenty of planting space.

I was a little bit sad about a LFS closing. It had only been open 6 months and sold things cheaply but they were isolated for foot traffic so i thought they wouldn't have much sucess. Anyway as part of their clean out sale i picked up a 4x2x2 foot tank. I have been waiting for a tank of these dimensions to show up at the right price for a while so getting this new 120g beast for cost price was my christmas present to me. I will delay the set up of this tank a while. I want a RODI system before i start playing with that amount of water in weekly WC. I think i will build a pair of cannister filters for it. I should have it running midway through January (which for me probably translates to late March)

On the bad news side of things my Betta breeding plans have suffered another set back. On friday this week my new male betta i found to match my girl finished his quarantine. Unfortunately his mate departed this world on wednesday. Seems like the universe is telling me to let others breed fish that will mostly live in cramped quarters.

I've hit a point with selling snails at MY LFS beyond where i can spend it on food and other small things. I'd like to upgrade lighting on a couple of tanks so i think i'll ask them to order me in some planted plus fixtures pretty soon. About every two weeks they need more snails and my next order will bring me up to about $110. I've repurposed a 20g for growing stem plants to sell them too so i'll not be spending a lot of real money there any time soon.

Good going! Congrats for the new tank and build.

Very busy at work. But the last couple days. Koi And Stripe Angels had eggs and on the 3rd day they were gone, but the other pair laid eggs and are guarding them. In the middle of the tank is where they laid their eggs :/ They are crowding the other pair from their corner.

Got a new little blue Zoa colony tonight and a discount BUT then was over charged for the 6 Marble Hatchets. So didn't realize til much later in the evening. Very unhappy, sale price was right on the tank :nono: Any way, now I am thinking these Zoas are nice and a color I don't have, but not the variety the guy said, from what I am seeing right now. Maybe it is just upset at being moved. Thinking now I might should have gone with the 2 different green colored mushrooms with polyps instead. Or the fuzzy mushrooms, lol.

50% WC on my 55g Rainbow tank. Rearranged and replanted some plants. Added some new purple Cabomba. Did some algae scraping. It's gotten a bit out of hand on the back of my tank. Giving the water a green tinge.

Bought and added 4 Rosy Barbs to my newly cycled 29g. Gotta prepare for a few WC in the next couple if days. LOL.

Added a blue Dwarf Gourami to my established community 26g. It had too much reds and orange. Needed a new peaceful fish of a different color.

About to do a huge rescape and WC on my Betta 5.5g. Poor guy has gotten the short end if the stick recently. His tank needs a redo.

Amongst the throngs of holiday shoppers getting my CO2 tank refilled. Thankfully I'm only doing this 3x a year. As I'm waiting in line at the store I can sense the algae is plotting to take over my tank.
I did not mess with the fine tuning knob so hopefully the BPS will be where I left it.
Update: I did end up adjusting the fine needle a bit. I am heading out to a Christmas party so hopefully I won't gas the tank while I'm gone.

Last edited:
I did a water test and my ammonia level was alarmingly high, which surprised me since I haven't seen any ammonia at all in the tank since the cycle completed. I found that my java fern was dead which might have been the problem. I immediately did a 50% water change and intend to do another one tomorrow if the ammonia level isn't significantly down.

Before

During

After
(With severe crop so you don't see the ugliness that is my room)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Before:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419795579.764913.jpg
After:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419795607.714382.jpg

New lights
New substrate
Rearranged everything and added dwarf hair grass

Freaked out and cussed when the peacock eel mistook my finger for a bloodworm...

:eek: Sounds scary, I've never kept eels but I've heard when they bite it can easily get infected.

I added some sps coral micro-colonies to my tank, pretty excited to see them grow!

Last night was puzzled when one of my SW mushrooms ended up on the opposite end of the tank, unattached from the frag plug, then found another one as well. Used a turkey baster to move the mushrooms around to a better position to eventually re-position them to the rocks. That was only part of the issue because I found Aiptasia. And then a few of the Xenia seem to be a unlimited amount in just a couple weeks, so I have to remove that rock. Which is really sad because I like how the rock looks, and also it is under 3 other rocks. I don't have time for that right now.

Been just doing the minimum on all the other tanks because of outside family issues taking up my time.

Moved my cichlids to the new 55 and got a canister filter today. It's my first an I'm happy:) after that I moved the planted 20 to the 36. Tomorrow I'm moving the 10 to the 20. It's been a long day.

Moved my cichlids to the new 55 and got a canister filter today. It's my first an I'm happy:) after that I moved the planted 20 to the 36. Tomorrow I'm moving the 10 to the 20. It's been a long day.

Here's some picturesImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419884630.962539.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419884642.461507.jpg
I might move the rocks a bit to create more hiding spots and territories.

Finished initial planting on my 55 gallon after having it torn down for a month and a half and watched the plants pearl underneath my new BML that showed up yesterday. Also fiddled with the so lunar controller that I bought with it. Pumped to head to the LFS tomorrow to check out a new shipment they just got in and think about potential stocking. (y)

What did I do? A whole bunch!
Pleased about that too.
Acclimating a pair of plecs, real happy about one (it was an impulse but. . .) it's such a lovely fish!
Can't wait for the monster of the pair to grow.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

(Is for me ;)

Back
Top Bottom