What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Told I made some Repashy Spawn and Grow and put it in the bottoms of little flower pots. I then put the pot bottoms in some of the tanks. Repashy is always a bit hit with my fish. I add a little garlic juice to it. I forgot to feed my white worm culture 2 days in a row now but I did feed heavily a few days ago. OOOPS. I moved a betta to bigger quarters also. He seems happier.

What I did today was way to much!!!? but loved every minute of it.

First water change and clean 90 gallon corner. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420703648.473778.jpg

Then water change clean 55 gal Discus! Newest addition were so happy ???
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420703746.421665.jpg

Then went to fish room aka sons room and decided to organize and make a few changes. Moved 45 Lima cat tank and built a new stand for 2 20gal breeders a 30 gallon tank and think about having 3 10 gal quarantine tanks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420703971.266126.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420703989.985205.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420704001.354083.jpg. My back is killing me but man the results were worth it .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ordered new Crypts off TPT. Then I fed my fish frozen Cyclops for the first time. Fun watching them spit a few out and then go nuts chasing food around the tank. Happy Corydoras with fat bellies.

That's an inch of ice and it's 22 degrees outside. The goldfish are still okay though. I might break it up and go arm deep in 33F water to turn up the flow rate on my pump to be sure it doesn't freeze.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1420743642896.jpg
    1420743642896.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 74
That's an inch of ice and it's 22 degrees outside. The goldfish are still okay though. I might break it up and go arm deep in 33F water to turn up the flow rate on my pump to be sure it doesn't freeze.

Good luck. I do something similar...except mine is in colder water reaching for wallleye in the ice hole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good luck. I do something similar...except mine is in colder water reaching for wallleye in the ice hole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh the things we do for our fish sometimes.

Attachments

• 1420747869072.jpg
    1420747869072.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 65
Slowly adding some fake plants around the tank to break up the driftwood
343nitd.jpg
and bought a 30 x high ? with what room? Who knows

Barely anything, added RO/DI to 12G.

Got the fish from QT tank set to go home with DD. For 2 months we have been messing around with fish for her tank. She bought appx 15 Black and Neon tetras, and out of all of them, it seems there only survived one Neon and one Black Neon. The Glow Light Tetras all were fine and the Marble Hatchets and the Cory are all well. She is mad about the weak stock and how she wasted the money. Next time a better store, like where I got her the Hatchets from.

A couple days ago I think I saw my male and female albino Bristlenose Plecos working on breeding. Pretty sure...

Watched my Pearl Gourami which is normally the most relaxed and easy going fish, chasing around all the Angelfish. I think he finally got annoyed by them chasing HIM all the time. Will try to keep an eye on him a little, maybe send him home with DD.

Put a better bulb in the 16g.

Trying to find out if indian almond bark is supposed to sink or not, very frustrating...

You might want to get a low wattage surface heater for that tank. It will keep a small hole open at the top for gas exchange while drawing only 100w.
The problem with using water flow to keep the surface free of ice is that you can supercool the water in the process. I did that once and the goldfish huddled next to a clay pot and developed a thick slime coat. Once I reduced the flow the slime coat went away.

I did yet another 50% water change. Currently I'm having some problems with the ammonia levels in my tank, so I'm trying to figure that out and get it back under control before I add any new fish.

Almost overfilled one tank because I was on here.
Ive done that before... got distracted by aa while I was filling then I heard splashing water and had to think for a second what the sound was before I remembered I was filling the tank... it was raining in the basement.

I checked the parameters of my 3 tanks and the did my weekly 40% on 2 of them. I alsi added a guppy yo my qt to help with his fin. It could be rot but most likely it was eaten. Poor guy only has half a tail

Sent from a phone.

I put java moss in between two pieces of plastic mess, sewed it together and put in a Rubbermaid container with water and a 18watt cfl over it. Hopefully I will eventually have a live background.

50% clean on my elephant nose tank, algae scrub and rinsed my filter's.
In my 16 gallon I'm not sure if one of my clams is alive? It's sitting open but I can't see anything inside, no smell coming from it but beginning to wonder if it's empty :confused:
The other hasn't opened up since putting it in. Going to have to check.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

You might want to get a low wattage surface heater for that tank. It will keep a small hole open at the top for gas exchange while drawing only 100w.
The problem with using water flow to keep the surface free of ice is that you can supercool the water in the process. I did that once and the goldfish huddled next to a clay pot and developed a thick slime coat. Once I reduced the flow the slime coat went away.

You actually can't super cool water if there is ice on top of the pond. Super cooled water will freeze solid instantly when it comes in contact with ice. The liquid water will only get as low as 32F until the water freezes completely solid.

True. Nothing below 32, makes sense. I have no idea if the temp at the bottom of the tub is the same as at the surface. Perhaps I am applying the rules of a larger body of water where stratification will allow warmer areas to exist in the deeper sections.
I think the water movement, if too much, will be a problem for the fish. In their "hibernation" state they are not metabolizing food and not very active. I created a condition that forced them to swim and that was not a good thing.
I do hope things warm up.

True. Nothing below 32, makes sense. I have no idea if the temp at the bottom of the tub is the same as at the surface. Perhaps I am applying the rules of a larger body of water where stratification will allow warmer areas to exist in the deeper sections.
I think the water movement, if too much, will be a problem for the fish. In their "hibernation" state they are not metabolizing food and not very active. I created a condition that forced them to swim and that was not a good thing.
I do hope things warm up.

Mine is a tub so I don't have that nice insulator called the ground so the water moves with the air temp. It odds next to the house so it picks up some heat off of that. My pump picks up from the bottom and has aT fitting up top. There isn't a current unless they're on the surface. I have no filter though, so we'll see how this goes in the spring, have to cycle again basically from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom