What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added shrimp and a Nerite snail to the Betta bowl

It's looking really good in there, IMHO, & other than 1 or 2 more Cherry Red shrimp, I am finished fooling around with my Betta's bowl! Poor guy, mom has been adding things for the last week, but up until the Whisper 3i filter, he was taking it in stride. He's not super happy about even this tiny filter, so when I get my nano 5 gal natural planted tank done, I may move the snail and shrimp out of there and remove the 3i. It's really true that they are not the best swimmers, and it bothers me watching him struggle! You should see the look on his face when I feed him and his food starts swirling overhead in a fast (for him) circle. (Part of me laughs because it IS a bit humorous watching him work out the trajectory & then strike a piece of food.) I am waiting for some on-line orders to arrive before I can begin work on the 5 gal (stuff my LFSs didn't carry or have now), and if the Betta hasn't grown 'swimming muscle' by the time it's ready for fish, that's what I will do. He was fine with no filter, just plants, zeolite, and water changes.

Do any of you have a filter with a Betta? How does yours do with it?

50 water change in my 29.
Took some things out of it to put into my 35 for the turtle, soon to add guppys and shrimps!

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Livestock

50 water change in my 29.
Took some things out of it to put into my 35 for the turtle, soon to add guppys and shrimps!

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Your tanks seem really lightly stocked. Are you just getting these going, or are you a Master of Restraint? :fish1:

Did a big WC (75%) while removing as much BGA in the process. Started day 1 of an erythromycin regimen to rid the tank of cyanobacteria (mostly on the substrate). 3-4 more days left.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tanks seem really lightly stocked. Are you just getting these going, or are you a Master of Restraint? :fish1:

...which of those tanks seem lightly stocked to you? Giant danios alone would fill up a 29 gallon. A red eared slider is messy and going to need a 55 gallon...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

d

Good news is there are actually a whole bunch of Angel Babies that are still alive after day 1 on their own. They must have been falling into the rocks on the bottom of the tank when I swooshed them into the water, (and it has lots of moss) so maybe I actually caught mom before she got too many of them. Can hardly see the babies, but hoping from the loose count of the little guys maybe about 20-25.

That is a decent amount to start out raising. We will see if, and when I can raise them past the little tiny stage to the fin stage and I will feel like I have hit a mark! Have to admit, I am hopeful and excited to see the colors and patterns if we get that far... I have been feeding them often appx 3 times today, and maybe one bedtime feeding

Fed frozen foods BBS to new Angel babies, also to all other tanks Brine Shrimp, and Mysis, and found some special Ken's flake food and used that last night and today to change it up a bit. Don't normally feed flake.

The Anubias is getting a super cleaning by the snail teams, MTS and Mystery. After they are finished we will get it back into the 72G for the next spawn.
Wow that's great news, would love to see some pics later when they grow a little......

It's looking really good in there, IMHO, & other than 1 or 2 more Cherry Red shrimp, I am finished fooling around with my Betta's bowl! Poor guy, mom has been adding things for the last week, but up until the Whisper 3i filter, he was taking it in stride. He's not super happy about even this tiny filter, so when I get my nano 5 gal natural planted tank done, I may move the snail and shrimp out of there and remove the 3i. It's really true that they are not the best swimmers, and it bothers me watching him struggle! You should see the look on his face when I feed him and his food starts swirling overhead in a fast (for him) circle. (Part of me laughs because it IS a bit humorous watching him work out the trajectory & then strike a piece of food.) I am waiting for some on-line orders to arrive before I can begin work on the 5 gal (stuff my LFSs didn't carry or have now), and if the Betta hasn't grown 'swimming muscle' by the time it's ready for fish, that's what I will do. He was fine with no filter, just plants, zeolite, and water changes.

Do any of you have a filter with a Betta? How does yours do with it?

I run a small bubble filter in my Betta tank. He seems fine with it. It actually annoys me more with the sound at night than it does him so i added a 3 way valve so i can reduce the bubbles at night by allowing some air to escape before it reaches the filter. You can build baffles to reduce the flow of most filters. I have no idea about what the whisper 3i but google DIY bottle baffles and you might find some method to reduce the disturbance the filter outlet causes to the water. I used to run a small HOB filter that i had to make a bottle baffle for. usually it's as simple as creating a way to spread out the area that the water leaves the filter and returns to the tank.

Ricky1 - will get a few pics if they little guys cooperate and are still hanging in there tonight. I hope I can get the close ups clear enough to see them. They look a lot like a newborn guppy right now. Not too exciting yet.

Lets see what did I do with my tanks today:
Moved the 75 Gallon African Tank to a new location to fit in the 125. Got the 125 cleaned last night and sand in today,filled and getting ti started on cycling so I can add some more Africans. Set up a new breeding tank 29 gallon for the Daffodils to have there own home now so I quit losing the fry. Other then that not much!

Pwc on my shrimp tank. Removed loads of frogbit it's literally over running both of my tanks! Also removed some red ramshorn snail's they're driving me insane with all the breeding so I put them in with my elephant nose who loves to snack on them. :)
Autumn congratulations on the babies Yay!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Nothing today with the tank but a trimming is in order soon.
Went the the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore looking for replacement interior doors for my house and found this. Listed at $150 for tank, stand, and canopy. Appears to be a 75g or 90g. Did not have a tape measure on me. Predrilled with ~1" bulkhead fittings for the return and overflow. Definitely used for SW because of a wet dry filter's salt spray pattern in the cabinet and the salt crust in the tank. Seams looked clean and intact. Center brace was bowed downward and cracked. Some minor water damage in the cabinet. Generous space in the cabinet and canopy. I would have no place to put this but it looks like a good deal for someone.
ZfTrphB.png

XOBLeTm.png

q1nSFlc.png

Bottom view of return:
xVoxwUP.png

Top view of Overflow:
VcgJHYF.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
would you let me know how your tank goes on with Purigen, I have read it's over priced and not necessary...........

It's only been in for 12 hours so too early to tell. I bought one 100ml bag and it was only about $10, so whether it's overpriced by volume or not, it wasn't much money to get it started for a 20g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking around 2 weeks, i would really like to know if you see a difference...

I run Purigen in my 150 gallon. I always thought my tank was clear but after like three days I noticed it just looked unbelievably crisp and clean. All the colors were extremely clear, it was a noticeable difference. It's not something that is essential, especially if you think your water is clear already and are happy with it, but once you have it you notice the difference. I love having it in the filter now.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

5 gallon pwc on my 29

Used white out to seal the diy co2 bottle for the 10 gallon quarantine/extra plant tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom