What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not exactly to the tank, but I added some lights underneath in the cabinet. Going to make filter cleaning and maintenance chores a bit easier now that I don't have to use my phone light. Now I just need a better organized box underneath.

I also bought new CFLs for my 20 Gallon. The fixture that I got used had 2 Exo Terra CFLs that were used over a turtle tank. They were probably pretty old and worn out, and they were too yellow for my liking. Replaced them with 2 6500k bulbs and the tank looks a lot cleaner. I'd post a pic, but the aquascaping looks like crap and is a mix of real and fake plants.

Sad day here. In the middle of breaking down the last 5 tanks at my old place, and taking the fish to the LFS. 20L, 55g and 65g hex broke down and stored away already, 10g & 29g remaining.

Jesse

Pwc on 55g and moved around some wisteria.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448926066482.jpg
    1448926066482.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 72
Sad day here. In the middle of breaking down the last 5 tanks at my old place, and taking the fish to the LFS. 20L, 55g and 65g hex broke down and stored away already, 10g & 29g remaining.

Jesse

Adding to this. Broke the 20L side pane somehow unloading it. 10g and turtle tank taken to the soon to be ex wife. African cichlid, and few misc fish traded for credit at the LFS. Now sitting down at a local Mexican joint for some dinner.

Here's a pic of the 65, 55, and 29 stashed away at my parents. Fluval 405 and Aquatop canisters tossed to the side as well.

Jesse

Attachments

• 1448930519930.jpg
    1448930519930.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 59
No sir. I have my 75g and my roommate has a 10g. Just don't have the room for all my tanks at the new place. I'll post an updated full tank shot of the 75 tomorrow. Just tossed (floating) my crypts, blyxa, and giant Java moss rug in for the time being. Got plans with a lady friend tonight.

Jesse

Water change on 75g done today and had a leaky connector... Got quite a bit of water on the carpet before I got it all cleaned up.

Caleb

Water change in the planted and shrimp tanks.
Drained the CO2...regulator pressure read zero a week ago but I was able to get some gas out of it by opening up the needle valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fertilized my 29 this morning before school when all my tanks were dark and came home from work to dark tanks. Not being home for 14 hours is no fun

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a major water change on the Betta house. Cleaned the glass and rinsed the rocks with treated water. Snails poop a lot!!! Have two possibilities for new home for him - will find out tomorrow.

Back to the never ending QT. Two of the Black Emperor Tetras are acting weird one from the begnning is dead and the second looks like it is on the way out too. Not sure yet on the 3rd. Had problems with these guys since the beginning. Depressing situation. I was once again just about to integrate a few of the fish into the big tank.

The way I am feeling with them all is to start over. BUT I wouldn't just kill off the others, so I am just playing the waiting game to see if any stay healthy. I have one more I rainbow I am a little concerned about. Time will tell. 5 of the Rainbowfish look good.

All in a week's work

Since my last post, I've managed to make some pretty decent progress...

Added a new LED strip (
Added new sump it's up and running nicely (Thanks, Scott!)
Took a couple of water samples to LFS (Nebraska Aquarium Supply) for testing; basics look OK so started stocking the tank
Added a new, 9lb chunk of live rock
Added three frags (gonna "transplant" what's in the 29g next weekend; and I need to do a better job of learning, identifying, and recognizing)
Added my first swimmer, a Christmas Wrasse

Blew the Christmas budget...lol

?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 107
I love that rockwork. Very organized and sand bed space for whatever.

Thanks!

Not planning anything significant in the right half; just one more piece of LR to finish hiding the overflow...

Gonna need ideas for stocking the tank with Hawai'ian/South Pacific fish. The guys & gals at Nebraska Aquarium Supply are a fantastic source of info and livestock of all types...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 79
Mushroom, zoanthids and daisy polyps. Nice easy soft corals!

Nothing exciting here. Changed out a noisy Marineland hob on my 75 for a different one. Not sure what happened, but it went from dead silent to roaring thunder in a few short days. Interrupting my beauty sleep that I need so desperately.

Also had a fiasco yesterday during water change. Drained 60% using a maxijet 1200 as always, and realized when I drained and broke down all my other tanks at my parents old house last weekend, that I left my sink adapter there and no one picked it up. Gone forever! I own no buckets significantly sized to fill that way either. After some desperation, I found out my siphon hose fit absolutely perfect inside the faucet with the aerator taken off. Worked great!

Jesse

Attachments

• 1449458671363.jpg
    1449458671363.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 63
The 5.5 died completely. I didn't realize it until I was removing fish and snails for the 40. Nothing but nasty sulfur in my face.

Soaked the sand and gravel in vinegar, lightly rinsed and then boiled the heck out of it for a couple of hours. Vinegar gets more caustic when boiled btw, something to think about. Rinsed it for half an hour solid (my poor back!) and put it back in the tank which had been wiped down with vinegar, then rinsed. Neither smell nor cloudiness when I sift the sand. Going to leave it with filter, bubbles, heater and substrate. Also boiled DW and set it on a shelf to dry out. No idea what to do. Maybe a breeding trio of class N Endlers? Some moss balls?

Dang lucky not to have lost anything more than a few trumpet snails (RIP-I love you guys ?).

Poked the dirt in the 40 for air pockets. Couple small streams, couple of bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom