What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Updated the Thai Betta thread and it seems his tail is growing back in and the fin rot is stopped.

Did his 100% water change with new med dose, less aquarium salt than before and same amount of epsom salt.

Got a nice plant and dried leaf order in from junglefowl. Highly recommend.

A big Buce clump of (tiny leaf type) Red Biblis, a small portion of red moss and 5+1 stems of Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata

Black Guava leaves, a sample of 5 or 6 green guava leaves, and dried Jackfruit 20+2 leaves -all really great looking. A couple of little food samples for shrimp, CSF nettles and ebita breed quatro 2. A pen and sticker.

Someone in the house didn't tell me the package came and it stayed in the vehicle over night. It wasn't the worst temp last night and seems to be mostly fine. The tip of one stem of Ludigia is frost bit. I am still letting them slowly warm and haven't seen the moss it's wrapped in a paper towel, Buce looks okay.

Saw a sick Neon in my 72G when I was shutting off the lights. Will look into that tomorrow. Planning to do a canister filter clean on it.

Thai Betta is looking so much better. He has some good color now. And I saw him flare at the phone while I was trying to get a good shot of color and fins.

Am almost wanting to call him Phoenix like the myth. No decision yet there on a name.

So quite fortuitously my daughter spotted a cool cube aquarium almost the same time as I did at the ReStore. It was on sale and $16.

The whole thing was a LED light built in to the top which is about 2" rim around the edge.

There was very fine smooth pebbles, like coarse sand with small river stones and a large fake /faux river stone. A few fake plants as well. Have pics but will have to get them all posted later. There is a combo plug with two lines, one for light the other for the filter.

No marking of a brand of any kind I could see. Has felt on the bottom looks stock. Very pretty. I emptied it out to prepare it for the Thai Betta. Then added in water by the gallon to get an idea of the actual capacity.

It seems about 6.5G.

I ordered a cheap, really cheap beamworks light for the 72G. 48" 35.95 FREE shipping too!!! I think it has 120 LEDs blue and white.

The 72G needs additional light and this seems cheap! Also says 72" but I don't think so, it says actinic and blues but later says full spectrum FW so who knows what it will be! Surprise! I like my other Beamworks 12" which costs almost the same as this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292533796464

If it is FW it can stay on the 72G but if it is actinic, I will move it to the not yet up & running 80G SW.

Moved several plants into the coco fiber pots - 4 of them. Moved the whole group to the plant table.

The Thai Betta was removed from the med tub and fed. Acclimated to the new water. Only Epsom salts for another week. He is looking so much better. He is still in the watching area and not in his permanent location.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm pretty sure the 72 inch beamswork is a 48 inch light. It puts out light 72 inches wide.

Yes that too!! One thing is for sure, you'll find out when you get it. Lol

My dad just ordered a beamswork for his 72 inch tank and the light itself is 48 inches.

Yes that too!! One thing is for sure, you'll find out when you get it. Lol

My dad just ordered a beamswork for his 72 inch tank and the light itself is 48 inches.

Was it the $35 one, that is crazy Like I mentioned the extra light I was going to buy for the 12" was almost the same price.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Today I was shopping for some plant ferts at the lfs and saw a couple nice pieces of wood.

Because of price matching I got really good deals The Zoo Med medium Mopani was 12.99 in store /online listing at 8.03, but somebody else had it for 5.60, and it is an awesome piece. I think I am going to use it in the Paludarium instead of the big Cork Flat (which really is curved/arched).

And the Mac's River Wood log was 9.99 and got it for 6.79. 12" and about 3" ish diameter. Also beautiful wood grain pattern.

Saved around $5.50 on the 250ml Flourish.

So enjoying getting the online price & immediately being able to take my product home. Also like not having to go out to shop (shopping online has advantages, like being able to get the specific item and not having to go to 3 stores in person to find out they don't have that or when it is midnight or 1am) but for wood pieces, selecting what you want is better. (y)

Speaking of online shopping, the ~200 banana leaves "arrived" a couple days ago and the remarks from the usps tracking said "handed off", but no one had received them in the household and it wasn't on the porch. Today did find them in the mail box. Didn't know my mail box had hands, maybe that just meant that the usps worker did???

They look pretty good. Don't really see the mildew spots like on some from online.

I tried moving [pics today from phone to computer and they seemed to have not arrived to to email..........trying again for a few. Somehow they were stuck and 28 pics just arrived to my email. And tried to fast load them to the album but they were sideways.
Arrival night / swimming dead
60074-albums14756-picture71944.jpg

60074-albums14756-picture71989.jpg

60074-albums14756-picture71988.jpg

Closer view of the tail, the edging is the picotee not rot btw
60074-albums14756-picture71990.jpg

What my seller pic was
60074-albums14756-picture71946.jpg

Busy day. As for the fish, mostly just fed frozen defrosted and pelleted foods.

Dumped my 125G pond which smelled like black death. Just had some snails loads of DW and a few plants. Smelled like the nasty stagnant mud in an old pond. Saved some Java Moss and Java Fern and only a couple snails were left.

Refilled the evap on the cycling SW stones in the tub outside under the deck.

The SW 2G glass vase got a refill and tub/bucket of a few snails and a few plants got 10G of water flushed through it. It doesn't have a heater like the big SW tub does, I think I will add one just to prevent freezing over like it has been doing.

Did 15 buckets of water ~70 gallons water change in the 72G tank. Added more minerals and the Flourish plant food. Fish seem happy about it. Used the tubing to remove water but had to put it back in by the bucket.

More pwc's tomorrow.

Added leaves to the Thai Betta tank. 2 black Guava, 1 green Guava, and a nice banana leaf and a Jackfruit leaf.

Tried to buy a snail for the Betta tank, but the store had too many dead fish and I don't want those germy possibilities in his tank, as he is just getting to feeling better. I will probably pull out one snail and add it to his little tank.

Will be adding more dried leaves around the tanks soon.

I am in the middle of a 30 day minimalists challenge to rid the house of 465 items in 31 days. It is going well but also taking up time (well spent, but time none the less)!

Have a good collection of dried leaves now, Oak from my 2 kinds of trees, Jackfruit, red mangrove, IAL, Black and green Guava, and banana. Still would like Mulberry.

Thinking again of finally getting around to getting a Alder tree for cones and a mulberry tree and a Ginkgo.

Added evap water to SW nanos.

Just got the Thai Betta 75% water change and cleaned the sided of the glass were looking scummy.

The dried leaves are soaking up the water and a couple have sank already.

Been too busy for my own good!

Barely keeping up with water changes and adding water for evap.

Thai Betta got 3 new tank mates, a Black Mystery snail and a xlarge Zebra and small Tiger Nerite. Both Nerites have taken off to eat algae on the glass. MS is still in the shell.

Hope to do a better update this next weekend.

Had committee meeting this week and the host does 10 tanks of water changes in about 2 hours. He uses some in tank pump (powerhead?) on a hose.

That sounds great!

I got an auto shipment of 2L of Prime water Conditioner sent. Didn't really need it but it was cheaper that way.

Fish are doing fine right now need to do water changes on the SW tanks, maybe tonight.

Did pwc on Thai Betta and the Wine Glass.

Added evap water to the 5G Spec V and SW nanos and 12G

Moved four cory eggs from my community tank to a 1G cube and set that up to hold them late last night. Just finished doing a WC on that when I noticed some white protrusions on one of my new Flagfish. Moved him over to quarantine with a little M-Blue in his tank to try and treat. He’s still pretty active and happy to try eating so think it’s a new development.

Other than that, trying to figure out where the heck the rest of the Cory spawn is. I’m pretty sure that there is more than 4 eggs in a spawn. Oh, and hoping the M-Blue does the trick and whatever is affecting the Flagfish dies in the crib.

The rest of the eggs could have already been eaten by the other occupants in your community tank. Or the 'parents' COULD still be in the process of laying more eggs. We had some eggs on the front of our tank, and got them off immediately after they were deposited. (We just happened to be watching as she was depositing the eggs) We lost (crushed) a lot of them because they were so soft, but the other fish in the tank were trying to get to them already.
Out of about 8 we saved, only two have survived to date. Those two are five and half months old now. And Still tiny...but we CAN see them now. They are albino, and nearly transparent. LOL. Good luck with yours.

Took advantage of the long weekend and cleaned out the canister filters. PWC too. Nursery tank wasn’t bad at all. Community tank was a definitely in need.

Next week 2/24, this thread will be 7 years old!!!

I cleaned up the accumulation of foods and Prime bottles and wiped off all the glass and tops and added RO water to most everything.

Bought some additives for the neglected SW nanos and shopped for a few other things for future info.

Added new bulk filter pads to the SW nanos.

I been away from my tank for a week in vacation in Florida. Miss my little Jack Dempsey babies and kribs. Can’t seem to post photos here though

Back
Top Bottom