What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally Pulling The Filter

Have decided to pull the filter from my 20 G Guppy tank. I change half the water a couple of times a week and so the filter is simply filtering water that's already clean. There's a large Chinese evergreen house plant living in the tank water and removes most of the dissolved nitrogen from the fish waste material. I have a large airstone pumping oxygen to the plant's root system, so there's no lack of oxygen in the tank water. There's plenty of bacteria living in the bottom material to handle the nitrogen when the tank lights go out and the plant rests. So, the filter isn't needed. The water change is the true filter anyway, because it removes the old, toxic water and replaces that with new, treated, tap water.

B

Bought some Guppy Grass (Naja Grass) at a club meet last night. Split that amongst my tanks, and managed to catch a few swordtail fry out and put them into a breeder box.

Started making a dream fish list because of some of the things I saw on auction last night.

My filter stopped working on my 12G Edge, Chili Rasboras tank. Of course I find out when I am leaving for work. Threw a bubbler in and will try to tear into it tomorrow and no food for them tonight and a shot of Prime.
Found out that the last big freeze broke out the bottom of my plastic 5G square container. I added a gallon of water to it in the dark with the porch light dimly showing and then didn't see it. I got closer and the clear water at the sides wasn't clear water, just air. oops.

So that was a favorite container because it was pretty much squared and somewhat opaque but clear enough light would go through. Trash now.

Have to get a couple containers and new blue 5G buckets for fresh water / water that doesn't get mucky contaminated stuff ever. Only the refill water.

Saw a squared rectangle type of trash can at the big box store which was a large capacity and could purchase wheels, I was not able to study the value of it, but it seems like a possible much more convenient option.

Needing to do the pwc's all around this weekend.

50% clean on my elephant nose tank. Everyone is doing well all still getting along fine.
My husband bought me a king tiger pleco l066 yesterday for my birthday, hes in my 30 gallon such a beautiful looking fish wanted one for a while.

50% clean on my elephant nose tank. Everyone is doing well all still getting along fine.
My husband bought me a king tiger pleco l066 yesterday for my birthday, hes in my 30 gallon such a beautiful looking fish wanted one for a while.
Awesome. I like those. The leopard frog pleco is also a favorite of mine.

Aw Shellyx, that sounds like a wonderful gift!!! How lovely, and Happy Birthday!

Bought new stuff from the local boxco store getting price match and instant gratification.

New Fluval AquaClear20 and an Aqueon 15W flat heater, Fluval Sea 3-ions, and Trace elements.

Frozen Mysis shrimp and Spirulina Brine Shrimp. All at least 1/3rd to 1/2 off. Better than an average sale.

Also I saw the tanks stacking up around the store - must be tank sale time.

Putting in the new filter for the 12G which seems to be broken. Maybe should look into replacement motors as an alternative since I have about 5.

A couple weeks to go before the boxes get moved away and I can get back to a more normal fish keeping life.

Fed Mysis and Spirulina Brine shrimp.

Aw Shellyx, that sounds like a wonderful gift!!! How lovely, and Happy Birthday!

Bought new stuff from the local boxco store getting price match and instant gratification.

New Fluval AquaClear20 and an Aqueon 15W flat heater, Fluval Sea 3-ions, and Trace elements.

Frozen Mysis shrimp and Spirulina Brine Shrimp. All at least 1/3rd to 1/2 off. Better than an average sale.

Also I saw the tanks stacking up around the store - must be tank sale time.

Putting in the new filter for the 12G which seems to be broken. Maybe should look into replacement motors as an alternative since I have about 5.

A couple weeks to go before the boxes get moved away and I can get back to a more normal fish keeping life.

Fed Mysis and Spirulina Brine shrimp.
Thanks Autumn! He did start out in Gonzos tank but I quickly had to move him!

I finally pulled out some more of my precious plants to let the fish swim a bit more. IMG_0395.jpg.

I replaced my canister too. The media trays were disintegrating on my old one so the water wasn’t flowing right at all.

Last edited:
Been doing a bit of catch up.

A couple weeks back had a bad algae outbreak in the Thai Betta 6G after forgetting the light on over night.

The snail crew did well and the all brown glass is sparkling clean. 1 Mystery 2 Nerites and maybe 3 Ramshorns.

Going to be moving the Nerites over to the 12G Chili Rasboras tank. There was a bit of green spot algae there. Also after missing the light on a different occasion, maybe 2, being on all night.

Last week had done a very large water change on it and had been limiting the light time, good results, most the green spots faded like they died, though are still slightly visible. The Nerites should clean that right up.

The flower that popped out of the Anubias nana, I think, in the 72G has bloomed and been open for a few days now, the spathe/petal has started to curl back. The spadix is showing the flower at the stem. This is really a longer period than ever, as frequently the spathe was nibbled away the day it opened.

60074-albums11380-picture72005.jpg

The Spec V 5G had a snail die and spiked the ammonia. Got it out and and pwc. Also had an overgrowth of dwarf water lettuce, gave away a handful to a coworker, who will be keeping the stuff as a decorative bowl with a few snails. And giving over a free 10G given to me from someone whose kids weren't getting any future tank inhabitants. It will house Hermit Crabs. So glad to be helping others with their MTS.

Pwc on Thai Betta tank about a half to one gallon 2x per week. As mentioned water is spot on. I had added a cycled pouch of fluval ceramic media/pellets from the other tank as I had an extra in there.

Pwc wine glass a couple days ago as well. Thinking of adding a few Ghost shrimp from this over to the Thai Betta tank. Thinking that the bioload would be better than a big mystery snail poop machine. Also interested in watching these guys a little bit and they are mainly camouflaged in the plant filled Wine Glass.

Getting my house repairs and updates done and the tanks will be renovated next. YAY. A few weeks away yet for any of that.

Been still looking for a SW smallish medium. Not 80G.

Did a 75% WC on both of my tanks the other day and rearranged the scapes within them. My 10G had a lot of mulm all over the place from the organics in there before the WC and now it just looks a lot nicer. I moved the breeder box from my 10G to my 5.5G with the sword fry inside and made sure it was only sword fry in there alongside a few corydora eggs.

At the same time as the WC, I ended up pulling a lot (for me) of Corydora Paleatus eggs. I think it was between 10-20 eggs in total. Only ever found between 3-6 eggs before so I was a little mind blown. Still trying to figure out what exactly is cueing them to spawn though. I have managed to get them to spawn a little by adding cold water and frozen food, but sometimes they just decide to spawn on their own (often because a huge blizzard blew through).

Anyways, last thing I did at the time was create a DIY egg tumbler to keep the eggs aerated and moving so fungus doesn't happen. Did so with a plastic tub I had lying around and an air stone. So far it has been working pretty well.

Had fun just watching my tanks this morning. My breeder box is like a mini aquarium inside the 5.5G. I spent a little while just watching the sword fry in there, even caught some of them sparing against one another. Thought that was a little weird, since they are just getting to 2 weeks old, but I guess some things just start early. :p

Very nice flower!! Any secret tips to the green spot algae?

More frequent and a little larger water changes and a magnet scraper! Less light. GSA not fixed all the way. Oddly I don't have this issue usually.

Got 6 additional Chili Rasboras last week.

Been working on getting rid of a few extra things. Never ending cleaning out and getting rid of more things.

But going to the Spring CAS Auction to get some more new old things! Next weekend!

Looking at the possibility of a water feature in the yard next month, but not sure if it is going to just be waterrific or have a little pond as well. Someone has a relative who's been installing ponds and water features for a year or so and knows what they are doing??? maybe!

When the sprinklers were installed they left pipes for adding the water feature in the future.

Bought some live Brine shrimp and the fish were very happy about it.

Brought home a bunch of stuff from the CAS auction.
Ghost Crayfish - unknow which morph I have orange or blue or white or the actual Ghost which is blue and red and whoite.

A group of 12 maybe 13 young Congo Tetras which have already grown since I brought them home.
A bunch of Blue Mystery snails
A 30 Aquaclear filter lightly used for 8.

Indian Almond leaves, Alder cones
Some misc gravel

3 SW Frags.

Getting ready to decide on the summer tub /pond.

Bought a bag of misc snails to feed the Clown Loaches. CL are liking them.

Also on the weekend I found a Rock Flower Anemone for the SW nano.

3 Pygmy Cories for the lone PC in the wine glass.

Bought this guy, already /previously imported from Thailand by the seller. Hoping no replays of the last self imported Thai Betta, and only smooth swimming
60074-albums14653-picture72024.jpg

Last edited:
PWC’s all the way round today. Pulled a few crypt starts out of where they shouldn’t be growing. Put a nerite in with Igor to nip some GSA in the bud.

I spent an evening and a "day" reviewing different tanks and shopping online. (Not a true all day but really trying to think through the options and available and affordable variety of tanks for certain applications).

Application -

30ish gallon SW nano

update the 12g Edge or put a bottom in the cracked ultra clear glass tank been sitting in the yard for a couple YEARS or go with another option like Flex 15G, this is likely for the new shrimp tank rebuild, so I will be staring at it a lot.

1st world problems. A 20G long tank is available at the $1. per gallon sale - or maybe a 29 long.

Watched a de-rimming a 29G aquarium video just in case.

Or use a tank already in my possession.

And whether I would rather the 80G Innovative Marine might be a good Fancy Goldy tank for the immediate year or 2 until I maybe have more time for a pond. Since half of it is already in my living room.

Not really any more than I usually am continuing to try and decide.

But most immediately the 2 nanos are a big mess and need love and to be combined.

Which also needs a substrate decision as I kinda wanted the Garnet sand but probably would be wiser to select a coral substrate for the calcium - or mix them???

Did a couple pwc yesterday and refilled some evap with RO.

My Ghost Cray got a little bit of color after that molt!

The Orange Plakat Betta will be shipped tomorrow.

Rearranging the 5G Spec V for him. Moving out a big Java Fern to the 20G long QT tank.

The Congo Tetras have pretty much doubled in size. In a week! They were kinda small when they arrived! Like very young (half size) Neons.

Also moving a big bunch of Java FErn and Moss from the 12 G to the QT. The Congo Tetras look good. I will probably move them to the 72G next week or so.

I need to do a big pwc and filter clean out for the 72G though before hand.

Going to do another 5G pwc for the QT tonight or tomorrow to keep those Congo Tetras in good water conditions for growing!

Fresh water tank? I like the small green plants rooted in the tank with shrimp. Can you give me the name of those plants ?
Please ?

Yes fresh water.
Hygrophila Seeds -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TR3VGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I grew them out of water first. You cant just dump them in your tank as they will stick to everything and grow. You need to grow them out of your tank or lower your water level until they begin to grow. So they could be kinda tricky to get started with.

Got the pwc's done.

The 72G 65% AND the HOB filter aqua clear 110 cleaned out.

Bleaching the 2 bags of Purigen.

Have some Nitra-sorb need to recharge looks medium brown, and been in there a long time. Haven't ever done this kind before. It seems its just aquarium salt for a couple hours :brows:

Snail jar 100%.

Added a bunch of the RH snails and some MTS to the 72G for the Clown Loaches.

20G 40%

Took a break in refilling as there was a bit of difference in the tap pH and the tank water. All the fish look good after the pwc.

Fed frozen defrosted food earlier before the pwc's.

Have killed off most of the sensitive plants and ones which like humidity bought for the Paludarium. We have basically no humidity here in the winter. Repotted a few of them and some of the other plants I bought as some are getting bigger.

Trying some plants in the QT had left these two in a jug with water and some soil for a couple months getting them acclimated for a water life. A Anthurium and a small starter dieffenbachia.

Then also a starter plant of Tradescantia zebrina, and trimmed off a few pieces and stuck them in the filter slot in the 5G spec V also a piece of a Hoya stem which looks wilty/was a bent, near broken stem, but is starting to grow some roots. Better than throwing it out!

Great day with the tanks.

Dosed weekly SW Brightwell REplenish and Liquid Reef to the nanos with RO/DI. My Red Flower Pot Goniopora I thought was dead/near dead and now it is looking really good. I just saw it and it is bright red, I did a double take today because I hadn't noticed it for a while.

Hoping to make at least a mid range upgrade to get those 2 nanos into one tank next week end. Will continue scouring the local ads for a 30ishG tank. Or will just grab a 30G at the $1 per gallon sale. I thought I saw a 30G breeder. Which would be good. I still have my 46F bowfront - just a little bit bigger than I was wanting to deal with. The tub of SW live rock is still bubbling outside on the porch with a heater and periodic fish food. Maybe a couple snails, can't say for sure.

Back
Top Bottom