What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my pristella tetras died today. Params are fine and everything else is doing perfect. It was one of the bigger ones so maybe it was old age. Who knows. Other than that, I just fed them and turned the lights on and off.

Trimmed anacharis, turned off the lights 2 hours ago, fed the loaches a night time wafer, sitting next to the tank right now watching the night life of the 20 long. Wish i could move the 20g to my room. For christmas im gonna set up a 55g in the place of the 20g, maybe then. Added some evaporated water and did a 10% wc.

Went to friends house and my other friend that is her roomate has 2 Betta I gave her..... Was very disappointed in thier condition ... She's on vacation and said I could watch them for her so I took them with me ... I may try see if I ca have them back if she is unwilling to do more WC on thier tanks .. The ones color is aweful ... Her is before an after pics

image-2067399096.jpg

Before

image-2807287100.jpg

After

(Actually last night) trimmed the older leaves from the crypts and dwarf sag in my planted tank that have either BBA or a black form of Staghorn algae. Also trimmed the numerous runners from the broadleaf chain swords. They can be very invasive. 40% WC.

50%wc on 20g and 29g and 100% WC on all Betta bowls exempt on two I just got last night I did a 50%wc

Set up my "chunk of the backyard" tank. It's a normal tank that slopes up to land. I'll have a frog, some newts and/or salamanders, and a school of chili rasboras. It's going to be heavily planted both on and off land. The soil is natural dirt from outside with a few root tabs. I'll post a pic tomorrow or whenever it mostly clears up.

Set up my "chunk of the backyard" tank. It's a normal tank that slopes up to land. I'll have a frog, some newts and/or salamanders, and a school of chili rasboras. It's going to be heavily planted both on and off land. The soil is natural dirt from outside with a few root tabs. I'll post a pic tomorrow or whenever it mostly clears up.

Sounds cool make sure you get those pics in!

Is it gonna be a biotope? What types newts and frogs

Is it gonna be a biotope? What types newts and frogs
I'm not sure actually. I might literally take a chunk of the backyard literally though. So I would get eastern red-spotted newts, spring peeper frogs, and possibly change the rasboras for nh minnows. IMO that would be really cool. I'd have to check the laws on keeping those species in captivity though.

I'm not sure actually. I might literally take a chunk of the backyard literally though. So I would get eastern red-spotted newts, spring peeper frogs, and possibly change the rasboras for nh minnows. IMO that would be really cool. I'd have to check the laws on keeping those species in captivity though.

Wait, is this inside?

Yes definitely scratch the spring peeper that would annoy me to death. Instead a green frog would be more suitable.

Sounds like an interesting project, especially if eastern red spotted newts (partial to them, hence the avatar).

In my planted tank I applied excel on some remaining patches of BBA. The ones that were treated the day before are already turning pinkish red.

Ok first post here. I had a busy sunday yesterday. I spent the morning buying a few extra things in preparation for converting my 20g goldfish tank (which i recently added plants & C02 to). I looked over my stone collection and decided it was too varied and not interesting enough in general for my liking. So i packed a bag and walked to a local waterway near where i live in search of better rock.

I also plan to dirt a small tank as a shrimp tank with local flora and Australian shrimp. So i packed a few collection bags and walked to a lagoon that seasonally empties into a large creek. It's fairly dry now so i collected some aquatic looking plants that grow with a dry phase. I have about three species that i hope will do well.
- A Rosette plant which grows leaves up to about 10cm in the plants i saw. It has a tuber root which i am hoping i can train to grip a rock or driftwood. It grows a tiny violet flower as well.

-A running style plant that has small round leaves that are less than half a cm across. I found some anchored on the ground (fairly thick ground cover) as well as floating free in the water.

- I also swiped a small chunk of moss off the root of a tree that would normally be fully submerged. Hopefully that grows well underwater.

- A tube grass that may or may not grow submerged.

I'll be on the lookout for a native aquatic grass to add to my setup when i can get to more waterways. I plan to dirt the tank and use the dry start method i read about.

Anyway my main priority was to find rocks or a nice bit of driftwood that had already had some soaking. No good driftwood was to be found but i got some good black rock (a couple of pieces shot through with streaks of quartz) that i scrubbed and soaked in boiling water. When my bag had about 10kg of rocks and i couldn't find any different plants to take as specimens i went home. Scrubbed the rocks clean and soaked them in boiling water a few times and cleaned up my plant specimens and put them in some containers to get see how well they grow in different amounts of water (mud, muddy water with soil from where they were dug up and fish tank water).

I then drained some water from the tank into an esky (which is currently my largest back up fish tank) and gave them a water change. I then emptied the 20g, cleaned it and prepared it for the arrival of some dirted substrate. It took me till almost midnight to get done with layering the substrate, setting up my stone feature, planting and refilling the tank, but it's all starting to look good. The water is still very cloudy and i plan to fill the foreground with grasses, maybe look at reducing my stone feature which is taking up more space than i thought it would. I may do a water change today or tomorrow and look at adding my goldfish again (I plan to rehome them and get more interesting fish once my grasses go in).

Well I tested my dads tank cuz he said his fish were dying .., ack ammonia.25 and nitrate 180! So u said he should do 75% or 50% WC now . He did 50% and brought nitrate to 80 and he added nitraban to his tank. I said he should do 75% WC tomorrow and then I will test again I figure he will need to do WC several days in a row amazing he still has 2 glo fish 3 black neon 1 feeder guppy and 3 zebra danio left In his 55gal plus ton of nerite snails

Well I tested my dads tank cuz he said his fish were dying .., ack ammonia.25 and nitrate 180! So u said he should do 75% or 50% WC now . He did 50% and brought nitrate to 80 and he added nitraban to his tank. I said he should do 75% WC tomorrow and then I will test again I figure he will need to do WC several days in a row amazing he still has 2 glo fish 3 black neon 1 feeder guppy and 3 zebra danio left In his 55gal plus ton of nerite snails
Any idea what caused the spike?

I believe he overstocked ... I warned him I believe he would need more WC ... Guess he didnt believe me cuz he bought over 12 fish for 55 gal cuz it only had 10 fish already in .... He was only Doing WC 10% a week which may have been the other factor . The ph is about 8 and the nitrite was 0 plus he prob didnt watch it close enough an remove dead fish fast and he didnt do wc even though he saw fish dying .... Sigh he has owned fish longer than me . I thought he would know better .. My mom had probs with her tank keeping fish alive so that's how I got my tank... They use water softner system water and my dad doesn't believe me tht its not good for fish

Same as usual here lately, just fed, dosed flourish, and turned the lights on an off. My 20 has been put on the back burner in the past week or so due to an exam that is tomorrow morning. After that, it is overdue a water change and overall maintenance. The filter needs some TLC and the glass needs a scrubbing.

Had my parents baby sit the tanks last night. They did a fair job considering the last time my dad fed my fish it was more than enough (gosh I love my dad haha) but he redeemed himself today. The lights were turned off and everything. Today I just cleaned up the area around my tanks. Not bad of a day in the fish world.

Ugh what a week not much i havent done to tanks.. have spent so much time on moms tanl.that i have neglected mine this week... my africans have injured one od my fish and he is now swimming upside down.. i separated him .. noticed tonight 2 teaming up on him chasing around the tank went to the bathroom came back n his tail was chewed up almost gone and he was upside down.. still very much alive though.. gonna keep him separated and watch him closely although it doesnt look good :/

Moms tank is good i actually have done a decent job transitioning to salt even though its different i have it for the most part.. i have did a small water change to reduce the temp bc even without a heater her tank is reading 82°F so planning ahead for the dead of summer next year bc its actually decent weather here now.. my tanks have heaters and arent that hot .. but i keep my home cold ..

Feed the trigger n puffer snails tonight it was my fav part and i fed the anemone but trig took it ...

Got a friend sending shilping bags so i can rehome trig to a bigger tank..(friends getting a 180) he will b happier although he seems happy now but better safe then sry .. he came with the tank or we wouldnt have gotten him.

Oh n i have been teaching mom how to do the maintence on her tank to which is a hassel.. dad thinks he knows everything so i keep stressing what not to do .. i dont think he listens :/

Edit: and it gets better i just found a dead oto skeleton my plants had hidden only found it bc a ton of baby snails were on it.. what a day ...

Back
Top Bottom