What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In other news, my Christmas moss is growing like a weed. Which is good because I want it to carpet one side of my tank. I like the looks of it and my Otos love to sit in it.

Today, I did a 50% PWC because I added another bag of Floramax & rescaped my 40B, added 2 different species of java ferns, & added 4 new panda cory catfish...

Other then turning lights off and on. Feeding fish. Nothing, lol. I do my water changes on Monday's and Thursday's. Do have future plans though but it might be a bit before it all happens.

So decided to help dad out and after work do 50% WC then he ca do another when he ets home to get his nitrate down from 80 ... He has a siphon without a pump in it... Bleach I drank tank water .. :(

Makes me glad mine has a pump lol they won't ever have a frog cuz my mom swallowed a frog once that way lol

Happened to me once on my moms 10 gallon. Of course it was after a nasty protein film had built up to the point of causing huge bubbles on the surface. Never could figure out the water problems while we had the filter that was on the tank at that point. Switched to aquaclear and the cycle is on track now. Also, plan on going to the lfs to put in an order on some Pygmy cories and maybe some cpds soon.

I did a water change today and added some Prime to combat the ammonia spike that I have been dealing with the last few days. The levels are almost back to normal again. My betta died over the weekend and I didn't find its body quickly enough and that started the whole mess. A few of the danios died, too, but the others are hanging in there. On the upside, in removing decorations to find the corpse, I discovered where the assassins have been hiding (inside the volcano), and I found a lively red cherry shrimp! I thought they had all been eaten months ago.

50%wc on 20gal and 29gal . Still doing daily WC on Betta I'm watching that I had given to a friend but I may refuse to give them back due to how thier health was when I took them to watch them ... Still trying get thier color back and to be more active ... Will do WC on my 7 Betta tomorrow

Did a 2 gal water change on my nano reef. I took the filter and power head completely apart and cleaned them really well. Back to working wonderfully again! I ticked off Blue when I pushed a little sand down in his hidey hole but he will get over it. It wi give him something to do. :) I need to kill more aiptaisia again.

Noticed the glass top on my tank was getting extremely hot from the lights, so i used a couple of cans of tuna to raise the lights up off the tank a little bit for the time being. I want to get a small fan to pull some of the heat out.

Other than that I added a little water, and fed them. Tried bloodworms for the first time today and they went nuts over them! I think I might keep it down to twice a week or so.

Noticed the glass top on my tank was getting extremely hot from the lights, so i used a couple of cans of tuna to raise the lights up off the tank a little bit for the time being. I want to get a small fan to pull some of the heat out. Other than that I added a little water, and fed them. Tried bloodworms for the first time today and they went nuts over them! I think I might keep it down to twice a week or so.
The fish are probably scarred from seeing canned tuna :D

Welcome to AA :)

This sounds like an awesome idea, what shrimp have you got planned?

Haha. It's nice to have a support group for your addictions. I have tried getting plants in my aquarium before but they've always died off. Now that i have some idea what i'm doing, hopefully i can turn my tank into a jungle.

Well i read about the method for the shrimp tanks at this link.

www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

At the moment i'm looking at the aquagreen catalogue and they have three Australian varieties for sale. These are the two I'm interested in.

AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet
AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet

It doesn't mention how well they breed but i may buy a second 5g tank so i can keep the shrimp apart to give the slower breeding variety a chance.

So for the last few days i've been doing a 20% water change daily (it got very cloudy after dirting the tank but is clearing up very nicely. I put my two comets back in there and they don't seem to be digging into the soil layer.

I went looking for some different plants today and was rewarded for my walk when i saw a mother duck teaching about 10 ducklings to jump off a 2 foot causeway into some water. Very cute and i have a video on my phone (which refuses to transfer files at the moment). My nephew also told where a goldfish was in this creek I was exploring that was about 1 foot long. I spotted him. It's a very healthy looking Comet.

I found some Azolla plants which i like the look of as a surface cover more than the Duckweed i collected last week. That was all i could find really. If i can't find an aquatic grass soon i'll just buy something. I've been enjoying the walking but I think i have almost every plant from this specific waterway at this point. There is quite a lot more of it to explore though so i'll spend a few more sunny afternoons in search of plants.

My list of identifiable finds so far is
Duckweed
Azolla
Bacopa Caroliniana common names lemon bacopa or water hyssop

I also have a couple that i don't think will submerge.

Back
Top Bottom