What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Retail therapy?

:angel: Used some SW retail therapy to distract myself from the shrimp losses.

Went to buy some Tisbee Pods and a little green water food for them, and again almost struck out, none near by - had to go to the pretty darned far away lfs, but stopped at one place I like going and chatting with the owner and his daughter, which was pretty much on the way.

Found some Macro Algaes I had been looking for. Got a scoop of Tea Cups for $5. and someone had just recently dropped off a gallon bag of Black Codium, I got a sandwich bag of that for $5. Along with the Tea Cups, I got a few straggler pieces of a kind I have seen but don't know the name and a little bit of Grape and Feather Calerpa. Which I like.

FINALLY!!! I got a vampire (I didn't call it that the wholesaler did) pretty nice Rock Flower Anemone. Mostly red with a aqua greenish mouth and purple blue frill with a hint of white edges. Will try for a pic tonight or tomorrow. The gal said $39, and he gave it to me with a rock it was attached to and a Astra snail for $35. :dance: It is about 2 inches. Maybe meaning it will live longer because it is younger.

Then went to the other lfs pretty far away, and got a 5G SW refil and 2lbs of nice dry rock, 16 oz of what did turn out to be Tisbee Pods after being told on the phone they were mixed pods, so I was happy enough since that was what I was after originally. About 4 oz of Phyto (pod food) he threw in for free.

They didn't have the black Hawaiian live sand I was looking for so called a nearby big box place and they did have it so went there.

Get a discount so the sand was 23.99 instead of 29.99, they had a Pom Pom crab with both poms so picked that up and it was just over 10.50!!!

Pretty excited since I have been wanting that since the beginning 2 or 3 years, as well as another RFA (way more than I wanted to pay but a good price) for nearly a year.

(Doing a 50% pwc on the sw tank now.) Going to get things acclimated and into the tank asap!

Will start the new larger SW tank, 12G, pretty soon - sometime this week. Still deciding about which one to use. :D

Last edited:

Went to buy some Tisbee Pods and a little green water food for them, and again almost struck out, none near by - had to go to the pretty darned far away lfs, but stopped at one place I like going and chatting with the owner and his daughter, which was pretty much on the way.

Found some Macro Algaes I had been looking for. Got a scoop of Tea Cups for $5. and someone had just recently dropped off a gallon bag of Black Codium, I got a sandwich bag of that for $5. Along with the Tea Cups, I got a few straggler pieces of a kind I have seen but don't know the name and a little bit of Grape and Feather Calerpa. Which I like.

FINALLY!!! I got a vampire (I didn't call it that the wholesaler did) pretty nice Rock Flower Anemone. Mostly red with a aqua greenish mouth and purple blue frill with a hint of white edges. Will try for a pic tonight or tomorrow. The gal said $39, and he gave it to me with a rock it was attached to and a Astra snail for $35. :dance: It is about 2 inches. Maybe meaning it will live longer because it is younger.

Then went to the other lfs pretty far away, and got a 5G SW refil and 2lbs of nice dry rock, 16 oz of what did turn out to be Tisbee Pods after being told on the phone they were mixed pods, so I was happy enough since that was what I was after originally. About 4 oz of Phyto (pod food) he threw in for free.

They didn't have the black Hawaiian live sand I was looking for so called a nearby big box place and they did have it so went there.

Get a discount so the sand was 23.99 instead of 29.99, they had a Pom Pom crab with both poms so picked that up and it was just over 10.50!!!

Pretty excited since I have been wanting that since the beginning 2 or 3 years, as well as another RFA (way more than I wanted to pay but a good price) for nearly a year.

(Doing a 50% pwc on the sw tank now.) Going to get things acclimated and into the tank asap!

Will start the new larger SW tank, 12G, pretty soon - sometime this week. Still deciding about which one to use. :D

Wow, sounds like you've been really busy. Money well spent i say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good for you Autumn!
Well this morning I've had no dead shrimp so that's been 2 day's without any!
Still concerned about the little borara that's hiding behind my thermostat, he's not coming out to eat just chasing fish away? No signs of illness soo just going to keep an eye on things.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Yay!
Dropped in my pods after installing a pre filter along with the green water phytoplankton. Water looked, fine not green like I thought it would.

Was pleased that there was a Sexy shrimp hanging out on the edge of the open Rock Flower Anemone. Will post pics by in the morning.

Well green hair algae is starting to grow all over my 40g, I would freak out but I actually don't mind since this is my 'natural tank' and I'm just gonna leave it be, I'll only rip out the longest strands

Well green hair algae is starting to grow all over my 40g, I would freak out but I actually don't mind since this is my 'natural tank' and I'm just gonna leave it be, I'll only rip out the longest strands

What does it look like? I haven't had algae before :3

<g.m.t.a>

Posted a new album & added a few pics

Took some pics.

New Rock Flower Anemone with the Sexy shrimp and a Blue Leg hermit.

60074-albums14535-picture70143.jpg

60074-albums14535-picture70144.jpg

And a leather frag
60074-albums14535-picture70142.jpg

And just because his pom poms are cute anemones

60074-albums14535-picture70140.jpg

60074-albums14535-picture70141.jpg

Local purchased Macro Algae

Tea Cups and Feather Calerpa

60074-albums14535-picture70137.jpg

60074-albums14535-picture70138.jpg

Black Codium

60074-albums14535-picture70139.jpg

Took some pics.

New Rock Flower Anemone with the Sexy shrimp and a Blue Leg hermit.

60074-albums14535-picture70143.jpg

60074-albums14535-picture70144.jpg

And a leather frag
60074-albums14535-picture70142.jpg

And just because his pom poms are cute anemones

60074-albums14535-picture70140.jpg

60074-albums14535-picture70141.jpg

Local purchased Macro Algae

Tea Cups and Feather Calerpa

60074-albums14535-picture70138.jpg

Black Codium

60074-albums14535-picture70139.jpg

Beautiful pictures! Love the pom poms (think I got that right ?) your tank looks good.
40 % clean on my elephant nose tank, removed some frogbit too much going on at the moment the surface is covered.
Well I watched a shrimp molt today and survive yippee! So im keeping my fingers crossed.
Really enjoying my boraras, never thought I'd find small fish so interesting, but boy are they Greedy.

waiting on delivery , I hope all the rock nems I get today look that good
I'll get picts later
I never could find any tea cups that were healthy I love how you bushed it together

Another day without shrimp deaths! Really pleased hoping thing's have settled. Managed to break the end of the spray bar so I had to glue it back in place! Always something in this tank.
Gonzo is looking a lot better all his scratches have healed up well until the next time.

got my order today was a little disappointed , only 1 rock nem came the rest are on back order . also got a rose bubble nem wow do they glow , also got a bunch of frags , oh and my favorite the box porcupine puffer.

first here's the puffer
img_3359151_0_6feb9ffaedb747c0867cdc88ada26577.jpg

yes the sand needs a cleaning I changed out the sand with black tha my trigger decided to blow off all the white sand and crud off the rocks , big mistake black sand in the predator tank as they are slobs .

second is the 1 rock nem I got , now I got to wait for the rest
img_3359151_1_b357a6968034b666d58100563abefe78.jpg

img_3359151_2_f72fd94c9263c32d2d767542a6af8f02.jpg

now 3rd is the rose bubble he's not fully open yet
img_3359151_3_2ae20851b5d99d579a7f381a842376cb.jpg

but wow they are colorful

Last edited:
got my order today was a little disappointed , only 1 rock nem came the rest are on back order . also got a rose bubble nem wow do they glow , also got a bunch of frags , oh and my favorite the box porcupine puffer.

first here's the puffer
img_3359155_0_6feb9ffaedb747c0867cdc88ada26577.jpg

yes the sand needs a cleaning I changed out the sand with black tha my trigger decided to blow off all the white sand and crud off the rocks , big mistake black sand in the predator tank as they are slobs .

second is the 1 rock nem I got , now I got to wait for the rest
img_3359155_1_b357a6968034b666d58100563abefe78.jpg

img_3359155_2_f72fd94c9263c32d2d767542a6af8f02.jpg

now 3rd is the rose bubble he's not fully open yet
img_3359155_3_2ae20851b5d99d579a7f381a842376cb.jpg

but wow they are colorful

Did you order from that one website we talked about? Or a different one? I was kinda curious about the service

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No this was a totally different place , lost my puffer last night not happy
don't think the service was worth the wait , as 1/2 the order is on back order and the lack of communication ,
this place I prob give 1 1/2 and that's being nice,
the only thing going is the nems look great the frags aren't to hot either

like they say live and learn :D

Beej ,
if you want a review on certain places pm me I dealt with about all of them

So happy to hear good news about the shrimp! I also, haven't had any more shrimp deaths, thank goodness for now.

Dang, Seaweed losing that fish is sad. And poor SW shipment with little to show. Big disappointment.

The RFA is very nice, and the Bubble Tip is WOW!

Last edited:
Good to hear Autumn.
Pwc on my shrimp tank, rinsed filter's and cleaned fronts glass. Trimmed back some plant's and managed to kill my lotus! Added more cattapa leafs, really like the tannins in the water.
No casualties Yippee! ?
Here's some pics I'm not very good at taking them lol.

1462452229685.jpg1462452244971.jpg1462452260481.jpg1462452273522.jpg

No this was a totally different place , lost my puffer last night not happy
don't think the service was worth the wait , as 1/2 the order is on back order and the lack of communication ,
this place I prob give 1 1/2 and that's being nice,
the only thing going is the nems look great the frags aren't to hot either

like they say live and learn :D

Beej ,
if you want a review on certain places pm me I dealt with about all of them

Wow I'm really sorry to hear that seaweed.

That place sounds terrible

Got to try out a TDS meter I won at a raffle from a monthly fish club meeting (sadly it sat in the bag for two months). I tested distilled, tap, shrimp tank, and planted tank and here's what I got (in order): 0, 174, 192, 280. I do the same amount of water changes on the shrimp and planted tanks. The latter has a higher bioload (more food added) plus is gets daily PPS-Pro ferts. I'm going to try to monitor and record this parameter and see if any trends develop.

@shellyx - Love that shrimp and nano fish tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my TDS meter today as well! Tap was around 70, tank currently at 100ish. Tank TDS is low because my team moved floors today, so I effectively did a 95% water change.

Sent using Aquarium Advice app

TDS meters sound cool. I didn't get one...

shellyx - thank goodness things are stablizing with the shrimp. The tanks look good!

Busy, busy, exhausting day spring cleaning around the house and yard!

I threw out a tank that had got wasp spray on it last summer. Back then, I filled it with water and of all the buckets and containers outside they all got some mosquitos. Not one mosquito larve lived in that tank though outside after the unfortunate overspray incident. So off to the dump for that tank. (Since no fish would be able to live in it either.)

Saved my low iron 12G with the cracked bottom - put it in the car to take to get a new bottom or at least get a perfect (thicker) glass for a new bottom to do myself.

Dumped some pretty rotton smelling water out of some buckets that had froze last Autumn with plants and snails in them, super yuck muck in there!

~~~
Moved my tank light from one side of the little SW tank today to the other so as to get lots of light in the tank but not bleach out my Tea Cups and other macro algaes, and give the Chaeto lots of extra light for growing.

Did evap refills late last night and hope to do pwc tomorrow.

Yay still no more shrimp deaths every time I look deeply into the little forest tank, I try and count all the TT shrimp I can see, pretty much every day it is not the same number, one more or less. Last night was 7.

The momma shrimp possibly dropped her fry. I don't know if they are live or not yet too small to see yet with all the hiding places. Maybe I saw one tiny one but I am not certain yet. Hoping she dropped maybe 8-10 and they lived (of course). I have seen 2 young shrimp, maybe like just under half grown. 2 adult females for sure - ~4 males? .

Thinking still about setting up the Spec V but since it is a used tank, I want to run some cuprasorb in it and figure out my best guess for keeping the baby and shrimp in general, out of the filtering system. I have been reading how some people have made types of covers. Spec needs a really good cleaning, kinda filmy looking but I am out of mr clean magic erasers, who could believe?, lol.

And also have an empty Edge glass tank not clean, sitting dry on my coffee table waiting for a final clean including with a magic eraser - to go back into the box for storage for a little while.

Also trying to decide what to do with a sponge filter that is sitting in a bucket with some MTS. It is a kinda large one shaped like a 4 leaf clover so doesn't conveniently fit in my small tanks. I have a possibility with the 72G. If I get a 90 degree air tubing connector elbow and place it in vertically instead of horizontally I think it will hide nicely behind my big DW! That idea just came to me.

Thanks for letting me think out my tank stuff! No one is particularly interested around here. (maybe not all here either!!! :eek:) They think the tanks are pretty but could care less how they get that way.

Back
Top Bottom