What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a massive and a much-needed tank cleanup. I had ordered some plants and they arrived today. I planted them and played a little bit with the layout. He seems to like it..!
0vWIFIkgIa6Q6ek45x5g7yDo5tnD5RnvGne7SghVC6y5z_S3IEkHIiB1aCNZGxgo2ypYqAswDUUG3XGTFHO0GQTx8SS758XDnNXl1hHJO-8OZ1ldFWXrTpbJP5KvqC4QShprRtayeOenXJJvwJpaho0u8SZ5Va8L6y-HVjQyYII2WcwoIT3CiiKUM5jZKiqeOTE8NAB0XDnK-KsMghBFy_w9mM_U0TJTz4RouY9mbdGi3ixceUbTCaLNvQtZjX_3bEfhODcBq2m_M3FHVi8B0NzWBZGx7LjOVRSFiknMXpeveSVpCMsZ-qHrYC4DYVbBR_9YaaMUD6Ap4Wg-dSHiwhwV9_NgCCxEFRECd8fwKmQ035BCOwhogXrVFGb88tUkrzx7UYqm3pn71bMz4EiKRITNgru5kbEylIQjNIVgpriLWzsYN6FODW-6zJigUya2IrnpMSmyf1eHDq6gmQ-v6LW7QqnxiTiidTbSm42IPWToQmfsbTOk2kskV33D3Ar4mhukvnW42GvNlIoqCDsb9aokuL2j9mQBvYYl5NV7xO41vQladyhRV69K26sq5Fmy2IxlERn8QTTh3mTvV12JvuG6C3z2iwkm8WBwT_zghqn1yYKk7uVk2YfkkLuM4cAUcji7W0ThkOY-aaZ5YlZQGlcSX4YZSvc=w1124-h843-no

or try this
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DEItg_-aLvzuw4LiWLL0CiPGE-seOWHd

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the usual feeding and fert dosing today, but I'm liking the way the tank is filling in where the Amazon swords were removed. Planted some rotala rotundifolia in the background and rotala indica in between the left driftwood pieces. Going to continue pruning and replanting them.to start filling in areas throughout the tank to hide the side roots of the taller plants.

The tank yesterday:
ykZuCyUl.jpg

Just the usual feeding and fert dosing today, but I'm liking the way the tank is filling in where the Amazon swords were removed. Planted some rotala rotundifolia in the background and rotala indica in between the left driftwood pieces. Going to continue pruning and replanting them.to start filling in areas throughout the tank to hide the side roots of the taller plants.

The tank yesterday:

ykZuCyUl.jpg
Very nice.[emoji106]

Getting geared up to go out of town for 1-2 weeks. Going to set up pill boxes with foods for each of the fish tanks, one more round of water changes this weekend.

It seems the Blue Mystery snails clutch which was laid well after the recent one to hatch looks like it might hatch tomorrow. The snail eggs are getting very dark like before!

Will be heading to the lfs in Boulder or both lfs. Needing some RO water and want to do another pwc in the SW tank. Probably Friday.

I had bought some Ceratopteris Thalictroides recently. After planting it, I had some leaves that were cut off, probably during shipping. I had read somewhere that this plant grows insanely fast and it is like a weed. So, I sort of just let them float around in the tank, to see what happens.

And... Look what I found today.!

PBgiihm2TpWZ_umxn6EvYILbd_Ww6aHPjDNkA8gF5BNLYW1CGQ1vMBxHUfP-xm4LXByf7fJRQjyrSiIwERSu_P9FyAR-piY6i3hT5WBW14HRadKX9wdPwNLBrGyEW29Q1_XYNzbpOZpAHzUfE3oX_dZNXR5fSiwpb5BBZua52fkJEqJbpZ2Vr5f4LTjWI48ezbv9CT-6H75nK4fXTgTMUO37k7bK5JDxQbyOUO3Mow7LK0ObIDAOf0QOXCfTdI7LI1Ycv5_Qpy7RcfLG5FSQYfKGLo3hoGlp6nR_4nFFjkyJldDJqC400AvD7gg5D09mNVfVeewK1DBXe6Zljdim_C_OhIPxspAyGvjo8X0C415QMBMbaZCg0yq6N-yLkRhIke_iDPfq9lp2bbHaBCUbF2r0tKwkQkqDgnhIhe_x52o-smwK2SziGI2Trz8UKazmkCk2ngTkh2vLmnISzg9XFsnHxFMmg4d68ObkQH5UwubAJHV1VRIHeskxQUsIcar1zFdzNbKRaLDS8Th1GKiLmsOq9lKJi5TT__FYpLqTwKiAL5M3ppQeL6EA9aTzeGqWsr0skkbxrDmTdEnC5QB9NwQSkw9CahlMcKEPUBcPcvAb0BB_9nrTb1cJIjrvnXhuQyVT-6DfL4B48lbg2PNbGwXtFPLz11Q=w678-h903-no

Nice, automatically makes new ones for you!

I'm out of town for a few more days, just dreaming of my tanks, watching Youtube videos and looking at instagram posts once in awhile when i get a signal on my phone.

Reports are all my tanks are doing okay.

Hello AA...

Set up a 100 gallon water trough tank this week. Moved some Guppies, White clouds, Rosy reds and some fancy Goldfish. Added a Chinese evergreen house plant too. It does wonders removing the nitrogen from the fish and plant waste. Lighting is just a four bulb strip light from the hardware store. The whole project was maybe $150.00. Attached is a photo.

B

LdMFDb1

Checked chems again following the addition of inhabitants. Ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20, pH 7.6 and temp 76.3°F. Also, planted two Water Wisteria plants today. I'll need to move one of Amazon Swords over a few inches.

So far today all of other newbies appear to be doing well.

Been gone and had to catch up on water changes.

Watched my Blue Mystery Snail lay eggs in a clutch. Got some video too, will try and post a pic tomorrow. Really cool to actually see it happen.

A couple bad things, though most everything was grest upon returning.

My 72G has 2 fish which look like they are sick, Neons. Did large pwc and got the pH up some. It gets lower without adding the minerals when there is no water changes. Plants use them I guess and the Neons don't seem to do well in with below 6 pH in my tank.

Been gone and had to catch up on water changes.

Watched my Blue Mystery Snail lay eggs in a clutch. Got some video too, will try and post a pic tomorrow. Really cool to actually see it happen.

A couple bad things, though most everything was grest upon returning.

My 72G has 2 fish which look like they are sick, Neons. Did large pwc and got the pH up some. It gets lower without adding the minerals when there is no water changes. Plants use them I guess and the Neons don't seem to do well in with below 6 pH in my tank.

Good luck - given up on neons.

It is probable that the Neons died. Hoping it wasn't anything too terrible. Not seen any bodies.

Saw them the day after and they looked a small amount better. But lots of upheaval around the house and things going on keeping attention away from the fish.

Have a large addition of duckweed in the 5G Spec V thinking of taking out the Dwarf Water Lettuce and Duckweed and take the dwl and rinse off before putting back into the tank leaving the duck weed for the dry out pile.

My Crypt in there is pretty sizable now and clogging up the small tank so need to move it somewhere else.

Also I need to decide about the next few weeks whether the Innovative Marine tank 80G will end up as SW or FW. My home reno projects are wrapping up and only about 15 small boxes to be unpacked which are hiding the tank stand in the corner of the room preventing the set up. But of SW or FW.

Recently learned I live around the corner from a SW hobby business seller. And re reminded of a big SW seller just an hour away. This makes aquiring reasonably priced and a variety of good things. Wondering more about some Sea Horses.

So been away a lot but still thinking about the tanks!

Got some plants moved into the oddball aquarium. Still got to get the background I'm going to put on it.
Also got the light I bought from Amazon put on today.
As far as being a quality light this one really is not LOL. But for a 72 inch LED "full spectrum" light costing less than $80 shipped to me, I can't complain to much lol.
20190809_014644.jpg20190809_014808.jpg
The night light function is definitely too bright to be used as they could have probably done the trick with just two LEDs lol
20190809_014718.jpg20190809_014749.jpg

The plants actually come out of a 5 gallon tank I had. Some cheap a little bulb type plants I got from PetSmart in a little cup. Can't even remember what they was right off hand except that they looked healthy and I wanted something to go in a temporary 5 gallon tank holding a betta. They have already started propagating with little seeds that have dropped from the flowers and look as though they will create new plants.

As for the random fish in the tank as you can see it is an angelfish. This is not going to be the inhabitant of the tank. He has just been moved temporarily as he was being picked to death by three other angelfish in another tank. I'm going to let him heal up in here while I search for some more angelfish to increase the population and spread out aggression in the 125.

that said I will be moving a school of tiger barbs from the 125 and placing in this tank when that is done. Thinking later I will get to a school of Otocinclus and maybe one other kind fish for this tank. Cherry barbs?? Or more of a centerpiece fish like a dwarf SA cichlid?? Idk yet.

But this is my update.

I'm beginning more routine maintenance of the fairly new 125G aquatic world. Checked chems all are in spec except for nitrates are a bit high at 40ppm. Performed a 50% PwC this morning. It has been a few days since the last inductee has passed. Since populating the tank I've lost one fake Julii, one Oto Cat and one Neon Tetra. The remaining inductee survivors appear to be active and doing well.

I ordered a quieter air pump, which arrive today. At least I hope it is quieter.

20190809_062448.jpeg

Found a dead Neon in the mouth of a Congo Tetra this morning grabbed it out of the tank, and looked for awhile and saw the other ill Neon looking in fair condition.

Pwc of 7G wine glass, removed the old dim nano tank light.

Did a maybe hour duckweed "cleanse" on the 5G Spec V. Wow, not getting that stuff out routinely left it over abundant - like a gallon plastic bag covered, full with Dwarf Lettuce and Duckweed.

Took out a bunch of the DWL and rinsed it to get off most of the Duckweed. Continued the process, For-evvvvvver...

Added back about 20 small DWL.

Cleaned the filter as well and found a dead snail.

Pwc 6.5G Thai Betta cube.

Phoenix had been fed a couple kinds of cat treats last week. Someone not understanding that the foods in the packs were for the cat - freeze dried chicken and little Blue Buffalo cat treats..... :eek: that was when I did a big clean out on the tank. He seemed a bit sluggish that day but seems to be back to his normal good behavior.

Snail tank 40+% pwc.

Checked on terrarium and doing pretty good. Lost several plants but being away from home couldn't take care of it like like I would have liked.

Checked on the Powder Orange Isopods and found lots of babies!!! Varying sizes of dots to pencil lead size. There isn't any way to tell how many there really are, it is a container with just for them. Now that I can "raise" these type Isopods I might look into some other types and see what is available to buy for my terrarium. The Roly Pollies live in their own space with moss as their plants pretty much died off. I feed them periodically with Crab Cuisine.

Deciding probably to sell the never put into service small Paludarium. It really doesn't work into my life atm, and is just sitting around. At 4G water I doubt it is what I want, the Bettas all have min. of 5G.

Hoping to do a clean up on the 72G this week.

No More Filters

Okay. It's done. Decided a few weeks ago the filters in my tanks were taking too much time to service. They're gone. Since I was removing and replacing most of the water in the tanks weekly anyway and had air stones going in all of them, I didn't need filters. They were simply filtering water that was already clean. I've seen no difference in the fish. They appear fine and since they live in near pure water conditions all the time anyway, they won't miss the filters. And, apparently, there's enough bacteria present in the rest of the tank, there shouldn't be a change in the water chemistry.

B

Today we returned from a weekend getaway to an unsightly scene of cloudy water. Our niece had been looking after the place while we were away. Way too much food in the aquatic realm. It was floating on the surface... Clinging to the filter intake... What a mess... So after we finished celebrating wife's birthday, I pulled out the hoses and performed roughly 60% pwc. I'll do another in a day or in the morning.

As the tank was draining I noticed two clutches of Mystery Snail eggs, attached to the back of the tank just above where the waterline was. Kinda oool, but I am outside my area of expertise and experience in this matter. I guess I'll leave them in play and hope for the best. I filled the tank roughly 2" below clutches.

I also replaced my TopFin Air-8000 airpump with an Ehiem Air Pump 400. The latter is definitely quieter. I attached the new airpump to two 4-wqy air manifolds with air valves. I also noted that it was the rising bubbles that kept the inhabitants confined to side areas. With all of air bubblers off the fish would school in the center of the tank. With all four bubblers on they seek the sides immediately. So I switched the two center ones off. They seem to like that setup better. The two remaining ones keep the water moving around the heaters.

That's it for now... Oh BTW, the chems were good... In fact nitrates were two around 20%... A 50% reduction. The second clutch is roughly three the size of the first.

20190812_195207.jpg20190812_195108.jpg

Back
Top Bottom