Who am I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need to wait:

Richard Feynman was born on May 11, 1918, in Queens, New York. By age 15, he had mastered differential and integral calculus. In 1936, he attended MIT, and took every physics course offered. Later he went to Princeton for graduate studies. His interests in subatomic physics, he embarked on a lifelong quest to clarify the mathematics of a subatomic world. Feynman finished his Ph.D., and married his longtime sweetheart, Arline Greenbaum. She was already very ill with tuberculosis. In 1942, Feynman was asked to go to Los Alamos. Hans Bethe made the 24 year old Feynman a group leader in the theoretical division. Feynman worked on estimating how much uranium would be needed to achieve critical mass.

He developed many experimental devices to test his hypothesis without blowing up Los Alamos. When Oakridge ran into safety problems while separating uranium it was Feynman who devised procedures to protect the staff from radiation poisoning. Arline passed away on June 16, 1945. After the war, he followed Hans Bethe to Cornell University. It was here that Feynman developed a simple notation to describe the complex behavior of subatomic particles. This notation became known as Feynman Diagrams.

In the 1950s, he moved to Cal Tech. In 1965, he, along with Julian Schwinger and Shinichiro Tomonaga, shared the Nobel Prize in Physics for work in quantum electrodynamics. Feynman's popular lecture series was published in "The Feynman Lectures". The personal side of Feynman was captured in "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" Feynman is also known for his work on the Space Shuttle Challenger accident investigation. He shocked the world by demonstrating the failure of the O-rings. Feynman died February 15, 1988 at the age of 69, from several rare forms of cancer.

Sorry guys, I was watching my gmail account for replies to the thread but, since it's still in beta, it doesn't always work. And of course Danio is correct, Richard Feynman is the answer. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner :oops:

Born in 1821, I was called the 'Angel of the Battlefield' during the civil war. I was comissioned by President Lincoln to search and compile a list of missing prisoners. Because of my work, many families knew the outcome of their loved ones during this time. I worked behind the German lines during the Franco Prussian war of 1870 for the International Red Cross. Upon my return, I organized and headed the American Red Cross.

"I have an almost complete disregard of precedent and a faith in the possibility of something better. It irritates me to be told how things always have been done .... I defy the tyranny of precedent. I cannot afford the luxury of a closed mind. I go for anything new that might improve the past. "

(I just had to add the quote because I think it's cool.)

Yes, Clara Barton....I had to do one about a nurse.

JChillin, Nightingale was famous during the Crimean War and her main claim to fame is handwashing. Such a simple thing that has saved so many lives.

:D This one might be too easy..... I was born in England in 1940 during the "blitz" My father Freddie (who was a merchant seaman), and my mother Julia (who was a free spirit and didn't feel she could raise me), abandoned me to be raised by an aunt. Growing up in working class England I attended art school and taught myself to play a little guitar. I formed a band which I named the Quarrymen in the late 50s.

:wink: I thought it was too easy. LOL. How do you guys think these bios up?

Jchillin said:
Here's the next selection:

"I started my career in music by playing drums with a small group of guys in the early 1960's. We were pretty good, especially the two funny looking guys who were writing the music. We played small clubs and we were finally "discovered". During this time, these guys double crossed me and I was replaced with some other rebel looking guy. They went on to achieve music history and I was left behind. No one remembers that I was ever a member".

Who am I?

You missed this one BrianNY!

Here we go:

"I grew up in a tough Bronx neighborhood during the 1950's. A popular "hanging out" activity was to stand on a corner with some friends and re-create the "barbershop quartet" with some new modern songs. I guess we were pretty good at it and we began performing in clubs for spending money. One day we were discovered and signed to a recording contract. The producers liked the groups original name and allowed us to keep it. Since I was the lead singer, the group included my name first and the name of the Bronx street we sang on".

Who am I?

HOLD THE PRESS

Dr. Semmelweis was the person that realized that handwashing was important FIRST- not Nightingale. He worked in a hospital in Vienna and at that hospital the death rate of mothers dying during/after child birth were 5 times higher than those mothers who had delivered at home. The reason this was because the students who were delivering babies were also doing work with cadavers (for anatomy class) prior to making their rounds in the maternity ward. He realized this when a student working with the cadavers cut himself and displayed the same symptoms as the mothers did right before they died (shortly after the student died I beeive). When he made his students wash their hands before delivering babies, the death rate went down.. however at the time other doctors at that time thought it was rediculous and ostrisized him

Had to point that out =o)
carry on

Lyquid, you're absolutely correct with Semmeweis' history. It was around the same time 1854? that Nightingale was credited with the handwashing at military hospitals and was credited for the "Polar-Area diagram". Nightingale was more "publicized" and somehow became more popular.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Well this is just a wild guess from the left field bleachers of Yankee Stadium but...

Dion and the Belmonts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom