Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Who knows how to build their own computer?

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous - and now I want to build my own machine.

Where is the best place online to order components or a custom-built machine? I don't want an "integrated" motherboard that I can't upgrade later on.

What components would you techies out there recommend?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Visit places like www.tomshardware.com and www.hardocp.com There are many other review sites out there aswell that can give you good information about the different chipsets and the different mobo companies.

As far as buying components my favorate store is www.newegg.com

Here is a list of components you will need.

Case
Powersupply (400+W)
Monitor/Display
Keyboard/Mouse
Memory (512MB minimum)
Processor
Heatsink
Harddrive(s)
Optical drive(s) (cd-rom, cd-rw, dvd-rom, dvd-/+rw for example)

The below items are only needed if your getting a mobo that truly does not have these features intergrated.
Video card
Sound card
Network card (required for broadband or home networking)
Modem (optional)

I wouldnt by a mobo that didnt have a PCI-Express slot. This is the new video card slot of choice. Also make sure there are at least 2X as many PCI slots as you will need from the outset. So if your going to use 2 pci card slots for sound and nic have at least 4 on the mobo for later potental expansion. Although most stuff now adays is firewire or usb2 enabled. With that said if you came down to two systems I would pick the one that offered more firewire and usb2 ports.

I havent built my own rig in a few years but I am in the industry so I keep up with stuff.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heavily reccomend www.newegg.com, www.pricewatch.com, and to check to see if a store on pricewatch is not a ripoff place, www.resellerratings.com

Try to get PC2700/DDR333 or better. You really don't want to fool with any RAM slower then that.

Also, make sure you get a CPU and a mobo that run at atleast 533Mhz Front Side Bus.

I don't know what you plan to do, but these suggestions are for a middleground PC...If you want to go extreme, then an AMD64 and PC4200 are the way to go

Also, do what Fishfreek says.

Get a mobo with PCI-E slots, a 16x slot for video, then atleast 2 more regular PCI-E slots.

AGP is still around, but its on the downward spiral and is starting to be phased out.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I've built one so far, it's fun. Couple other pointers:

when you do finally decide on a mobo, make sure to buy the ram specifically made for the mobo by visiting that mobo's website. I have an Asus Deluxe A8V, and it works wonderfully.

most mobos have integrated features, but they can be turned off in the bios in favor of PCI or AGP equipment.

Quote:
I wouldnt by a mobo that didnt have a PCI-Express slot.
I tend to disagree with this, most mobos with PCI-e slots and PCI-e parts are still very expensive unless you skimp on quality (which I don't do) and a very nice computer can be made with the older AGP slot boards.

as far as stores, newegg.com is also my favorite
Old 03-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
I 3rd newegg, and second pricewatch. Although I only use pricewatch to check prices, and never actually order anything (not in many years at least). I've ordered nearly every component in the last 3 years of mine from newegg.

edit: shawmutt posted right before me, so now I'm 4th'ing newegg.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

cyberpowerinc.com Can build your custome system but on the spendy side
Old 03-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Excellent - exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Or you could buy my computer and add parts to it

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...258&highlight=

Probably not, I'm assuming you are buying a gaming computer, and this one wouldn't be good for that
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com always one of these two have the best prices , and zip usually has free 2nd day shipping to boot.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I recommended PCI-E as the member appeared to want to maximize the potental for future upgrades. Going with an AGP based video board would limit the upgradablity as in a few years I suspect AGP graphics cards will be very scarce and wont be very powerful in compairson to the PCI-E cards.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com