Who knows how to build their own computer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know just enough about computers to be dangerous - and now I want to build my own machine.

Where is the best place online to order components or a custom-built machine? I don't want an "integrated" motherboard that I can't upgrade later on.

What components would you techies out there recommend?

Visit places like www.tomshardware.com and www.hardocp.com There are many other review sites out there aswell that can give you good information about the different chipsets and the different mobo companies.

As far as buying components my favorate store is www.newegg.com

Here is a list of components you will need.

Case
Powersupply (400+W)
Monitor/Display
Keyboard/Mouse
Memory (512MB minimum)
Processor
Heatsink
Harddrive(s)
Optical drive(s) (cd-rom, cd-rw, dvd-rom, dvd-/+rw for example)

The below items are only needed if your getting a mobo that truly does not have these features intergrated.
Video card
Sound card
Network card (required for broadband or home networking)
Modem (optional)

I wouldnt by a mobo that didnt have a PCI-Express slot. This is the new video card slot of choice. Also make sure there are at least 2X as many PCI slots as you will need from the outset. So if your going to use 2 pci card slots for sound and nic have at least 4 on the mobo for later potental expansion. Although most stuff now adays is firewire or usb2 enabled. With that said if you came down to two systems I would pick the one that offered more firewire and usb2 ports.

I havent built my own rig in a few years but I am in the industry so I keep up with stuff.

I heavily reccomend www.newegg.com, www.pricewatch.com, and to check to see if a store on pricewatch is not a ripoff place, www.resellerratings.com

Try to get PC2700/DDR333 or better. You really don't want to fool with any RAM slower then that.

Also, make sure you get a CPU and a mobo that run at atleast 533Mhz Front Side Bus.

I don't know what you plan to do, but these suggestions are for a middleground PC...If you want to go extreme, then an AMD64 and PC4200 are the way to go :D

Also, do what Fishfreek says.

Get a mobo with PCI-E slots, a 16x slot for video, then atleast 2 more regular PCI-E slots.

AGP is still around, but its on the downward spiral and is starting to be phased out.

I've built one so far, it's fun. Couple other pointers:

when you do finally decide on a mobo, make sure to buy the ram specifically made for the mobo by visiting that mobo's website. I have an Asus Deluxe A8V, and it works wonderfully.

most mobos have integrated features, but they can be turned off in the bios in favor of PCI or AGP equipment.

I wouldnt by a mobo that didnt have a PCI-Express slot.

I tend to disagree with this, most mobos with PCI-e slots and PCI-e parts are still very expensive unless you skimp on quality (which I don't do) and a very nice computer can be made with the older AGP slot boards.

as far as stores, newegg.com is also my favorite

I 3rd newegg, and second pricewatch. Although I only use pricewatch to check prices, and never actually order anything (not in many years at least). I've ordered nearly every component in the last 3 years of mine from newegg.

edit: shawmutt posted right before me, so now I'm 4th'ing newegg. :oops: :lol:

I recommended PCI-E as the member appeared to want to maximize the potental for future upgrades. Going with an AGP based video board would limit the upgradablity as in a few years I suspect AGP graphics cards will be very scarce and wont be very powerful in compairson to the PCI-E cards.

So far I'm looking at:

450w ATX case
Asus AV8 deluxe motherboard
2 x 512k Corsair Value Select RAM
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor

Any mistakes so far? What video card would you recommend? The wife and I are both gamers and I most likely will start playing online games as well. I don't want to go crazy moneywise though...

It means the motherboard can handle FSB from 200 up to 1000mhz.

Asus is a great brand, I've been using it for a few years. And the 450w power supply should be good for you... just know that there IS a difference between cheap and good ones.

How's this look for a final tally?

Qty Product Description Unit Price Extended Price
Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form)

Rosewill ATX Case with 400W Power Supply and Side Window (Black), Model "TU-155" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16811147001
Save to Buy Later

$49.00

Hard Drives

SAMSUNG 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1213C, OEM Drive Only
Item# N82E16822152017
Save to Buy Later

$83.45

Memory (System Memory)

2 x Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Item# N82E16820145026
Save to Buy Later

$125.34

Motherboards - AMD

ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813131510
Save to Buy Later

$134.00

Processors

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail

Item# N82E16819103501
Save to Buy Later

$155.00

Video Cards

ASUS ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A9600PRO/TD/128" -Retail
Item# N82E16814121528
Save to Buy Later

$129.00

Product total: $675.79

One note about online buying, if you need to return anything it can be a big problem. If you have a retail store in your area thats competitive you might want to think about them. Just a pointer (based on my experience)

I think I'm gonna cross the "PCI-E" bridge when I come to it - I can always buy a new motherboard.

Thanks for the tip, torch - I'm sticking to trusted names.

Hmm are you adding additional HDD or drive? the power supply (psu) may not able to handle the sys requirement.

Get psu rated with "true power" as even thought the psu is rated 400W it may not able to supply this figure of power unless it's stated with "true power".

As the result the pc may not able to start at all. During graphical intensive gaming, the extra opmmm the 3D card require may result the pc to restart by itself.

Look for psu from ThermalTake, Targen or Enemax. Pls consider AOpen X400W (good but budget) or Targen 480W (best but $$$) psu. This two rated best among in the market.

HTH

Uhm... that hard drive is sorta slow. I'd get a faster one.

ANd when you go to build it. make sure you keep grounding yourself on the case. I've never had a problem with it but I've heard other people shorting things out while they are putting the thing together.

And I've normally bought all my components online and never had a need to return any.

Let me just show you what I used to build my computer:

TASK Mid-Tower Case (black) with 400W Power Supply, Model "TK-4730 A-04"

AeroCool SILVER BLADE I 80mm Case Fan, Model "Silver Blade I"

ASUS "A8V deluxe" Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512k L2 Cache

TR2TT (designed by Thermaltake) CPU Cooler with Copper base for AMD OPTERON & ATHLON 64, Model "TR2 M6 (K8 )"

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1200JBRTL

Sony DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive (Black), Model DW-D18A, OEM

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1613/B2s, OEM

ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350"

Logitech X-530 5.1 Black Speaker System

CTX VL951T 19" CRT Monitor

Logitech BLACK Cordless Access Duo Optical Keyboard and Mouse USB + PS/2 104keys lesson learned: any cordless mouse eats through batteries like nothing, I eventually wound up getting the Logitech MX1000 and will never need another mouse again. IMO if you are gaming this is the mouse to get anyway.

This is a monster, and not only handles games coming out today but will handle anything for a couple years. I get pretty solid fps on Counter Strike:Source, HL2, and WoW.

About your configuration, I wish I knew more about computers to comment on your choice of processor and video card. The card, more than the processor, sends up red flags though. Why a 9600? If it was me I'd spent the extra money on a 9800pro at least.

I haven't placed any orders yet.

If I can get my old one working I'm gonna run it into the ground first. It says it has a Radeon video card - that means it's not integrated video, correct?

It's not a bad machine - 1.7gig AMD. If I were to upgrade the video to that 9800pro like you suggested, coupled with my cable internet...

Counterstrike would be pretty sweet (I used to love that game even on 56k).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom