1 gallon planted bowl ( plants only ever )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 1 gallon fish bowl that I want to use to for some dwarf sag. I have black diamond blasting sand for the substrate and a 13 watt compact fluorescent bulb in a desk lamp over the bowl. My question, can the potential system work without a filter? Also how often should water changes be preformed in a system that small? Thanks for any info.

Also! Is dwarf sag a root feeder or a foliar feeder? The purpose of the bowl is to grow dwarf sag in a quick matter while I eventually convert my other tanks to blasting sand also.

I'm not a plant guru but you have got no answers yet so...

It's a root feeder I do believe.

Water changes shouldn't be that critical as plants don't care about ammonia and stuff. I'd still do 50% a week just to keep it fresh.

You will need a carbon source and CO2 is probably out of the question in a bowl so small doses of Excel will be needed for this and to hold algae in check.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in with some better answers for you.

I added the dwarf sag today and some floating watersprite. I wanna add a DIY co2 contraption. Update soon to come.

Attachments

• image-3664836586.jpg
    image-3664836586.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 150
Contraption complete! The white cup around the airstone is a baby formula scoop that came prefabricated with two tiny holes along the bottom edges (thanks to my daughter!). Hopefully it works as a makeshift co2 bell and allow for better diffusion.

Attachments

• image-1162312828.jpg
    image-1162312828.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3008054558.jpg
    image-3008054558.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2013425797.jpg
    image-2013425797.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 106
The black blasting sand is from tractor supply. The brand is black diamond. The picture I have posted does NOT do it justice. It is so much nicer looking in person. If I remember correctly it was 9 dollars for a fifty pound bag.

Wish I had known about it before I shelled out for black aquarium sand, but at least now I know for next time. Just couldn't seem to find black sand anywhere else. Good luck with the bowl!

How did you clean that stuff? I just bought a couple of bags, and that's probably the nastiest substrate I haver seen.

(I'm asking every body the same question)

Xand3r said:
How did you clean that stuff? I just bought a couple of bags, and that's probably the nastiest substrate I haver seen.

(I'm asking every body the same question)

I used my water change bucket to rinse it a few pounds at a time. Wish I had thought of a pillowcase!

The dwarf sag has three runners emerging from the sand. The water sprite is slowly growing. I do have diatoms showing up on the dwarf sag but I'll play through the pain.

Attachments

• image-798226209.jpg
    image-798226209.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 92
The rate of growth is incredible. I did want to try to form a carpet in the bowl but maybe it's time to harvest and put in my other tanks

Attachments

• image-6585195.jpg
    image-6585195.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 97
I believe tonight will be the end of this bowl. The light causes green water too quick.

Back
Top Bottom