36g bowfront planted ram build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a 2oz dixie cup. You start the scale and on mine press it to zero it out, then sit the empty dixie cup on it, then press it again to zero it out meaning it then goes back to zero with the weight of the dixie up on there, then add the ferts in the amounts given. Depending on the scale you have to either zero the cups weight out or weigh it empty see what it weighs and then add the proper amount of dry fert on top of the cup weight.... make sense?

Definitely,thank you...Tryin not to overthink it..
odered a new heater for the 36g tank(aquatop),also bought the aquatop cf 400 for my planted 75g 2 weeks ago & is an awesome pickup!

Recieved dry ferts today compliments of GLA..Will be getting the tank& etc. tomorrow,also still waiting on the digital scale to come by the 22nd(provided we all make it passed the 21st)...so while I'm waiting I will give the tank,stand&glass hood a thorough cleaning followed up by painting the back of the tank black...will post some pics tomorrow evening of the progress...would be lying if I didn't say I've got the new tank fever...LOL

Rivercats you suggested almond leaves before,reading to find that not only good to initiate breeding with rams but also soften water as well...was wondering if they buffer the water to a certain ph as I'm having a hard time finding this info..?

The tannins in them can help to lower ph and they have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properites. In small tanks they can lower ph and help keep it down but don't do alot other than add some good tannins, which stimulates many fish. For Rams they like to have them laying on the tank bottom and will often spawn on them. Leaf litter is a natural spawning medium for them.

So I've got the tank up&running...not sure about the dw in the bottom left with the anubias on it..or even the branch in the middle either..will be adding moss to the branch when I do a trim in the fluval edge soon..may remove the dw..opinions on the scape? Also more plants in the coming days..

ForumRunner_20121220_000440.jpg

Day 1 fishless cycling:
ph- 8.0-8.2
ammo:1ppm
Dosed 9.3 ml of ammo to get it to that level..I moved a Rena xp1 over from my well established 20g tall that had been running there for 9 days..could explain why I have only 1ppm of ammo showing,I tested an hour after adding the ammo...so I'll wait another hour to see if there's a change..seachem matrix(not seeded) was added to the rena xp1 prior to running it on the 20g tall,so should've seeded very well..

ForumRunner_20121220_122955.jpg

After an hr I rechecked the ammo&hasn't changed...so will be dosing it up again by 9 ml of ammo&recheck in 10mins..

So I've got the tank up&running...not sure about the dw in the bottom left with the anubias on it..or even the branch in the middle either..will be adding moss to the branch when I do a trim in the fluval edge soon..may remove the dw..opinions on the scape? Also more plants in the coming days..]

I like the DW but it needs to be at an angle or on its side resting on the arm on the right side not straight up like it is now. That is what is throwing the tank off IMO. Then you need alot of plants. Maybe 1 Sword for a big statement plant, plus you can keep it trimmed to the size you want. Mine would be huge if I didn't keep them trimmed up to fit in the space I wanted. Then for plants I would get Ambulia, Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides', Rotala macrandra "or" Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii), plus a couple crypt Wendtii in Red or Bronze. And maybe some Dwarf Baby tears to plant around the rocks in the front right. Then I'd take that back piece of DW and play around with it laying it partically on the left end of the small rocks or in that area so it kind of looks like the DW settled on top of part of the rock pile (if that makes any sense). You'll have to play with it.

Was able to move it around somewhat....but still not for sure about the Malaysian DW...Not sure it fits in with the total scape,I think the contrast in shapes between the 2 pieces is what's throwing me off at the moment...

ForumRunner_20121220_170520.jpg

Was able to move it around somewhat....but still not for sure about the Malaysian DW...Not sure it fits in with the total scape,I think the contrast in shapes between the 2 pieces is what's throwing me off at the moment..]

Don't shoot me but now can you move that piece to the left and back alittle? And remember it's all going to look off until you get plants in there.

Yeah, I agree with Rivercats. You need plants in there! It'll look nice... Make an order off of aquariumplants.net, they have a great selection! I'll be following along, this is gunna be really cool :)

The problem with ordering plants now that some really cold weather is here is that many plants just can't handle the low temps even when shipped overnight. I need some for other tanks but won't order again until spring.

The piece on the left contacting the back of the tank,so can't move at all...thoughts on the Malaysian pics on the bottom? Thought I might pick up an amazon sword at the LFS tomorrow&see what else they have in stock..

Ok I was able to move it after all..??]

Now that I like. It would make a real nice moss tree. My choices would be Fissidens Fontanus or Christmas moss. Something that drapes softly. And a sword would look good placed to the left behind the DW. Look at the last rock on the left and go straight back, place the sword halfway between the back of the tank and the DW so it has room to grow and makes a nice backdrop for the DW.

Thx for the ideas,thought that would be a good place for one as well..any other recommendations for a sword for that location?

Then you'll need to work on finding some stem plants with different leaf shapes and colors for the back and mid tank.

Back
Top Bottom