36g bowfront planted ram build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
If all goes well I should have this tank,stand&glass top by the end of the weekend...looking for suggestions on light fixtures for the tank&plants..will be using a 10000k&6500k bulbs&most likely should be a ho fixture at 30" long...plan on using my extra mag 350 for filtration...water to be used will be treated tap between 7.6-7.8..also the rams (bolivian)that are goin in the tank are in my 20g tall planted tank which is well established...plan on usin eco-complete for the sub as well...

I've got alot of rams, both German Blues and Bolivians and can tell you they prefer the dimmer 6500K light over 10000K. I finally replaced my 10000K bulbs with 6000K in the metal halides and run 6700K in the T5HO's. They are out much more with the dimmer light. None of my fish were overly fond of that bright light. Just thought I'd share my expierence. In other tanks I have them in they all have lights in the 6000-6700K range.

I've got alot of rams, both German Blues and Bolivians and can tell you they prefer the dimmer 6500K light over 10000K. I finally replaced my 10000K bulbs with 6000K in the metal halides and run 6700K in the T5HO's. They are out much more with the dimmer light. None of my fish were overly fond of that bright light. Just thought I'd share my expierence. In other tanks I have them in they all have lights in the 6000-6700K range.

So you'd reccomend both bulbs at 6700k? What about 1 colormax&1 6700k?

A pic of my 20g tall planted bolivian centerpiece tank...these guys are the ones which I want to move into the 36g..

ForumRunner_20121210_202955.jpg

So you'd reccomend both bulbs at 6700k? What about 1 colormax&1 6700k?

Either way would work so pick what look you like best. I just know my rams, along with alot of other fish don't like that bright bright light the 10K's give.
Are you going to use any Indian Almond leaves or leaf litter in the bottom of the tank? I use the IAL's as they really like to spawn on them.

Either way would work so pick what look you like best. I just know my rams, along with alot of other fish don't like that bright bright light the 10K's give.
Are you going to use any Indian Almond leaves or leaf litter in the bottom of the tank? I use the IAL's as they really like to spawn on them.

Could I see an example of this in a tank of yours? Not sure I want to breed them..

I also just ordered the complete dry fert pack from green leaf as well...seachem's line beginning to get expensive..so this will be new to me as well..looking for info on how to get started & what may be the best regimen for dosing..

I also just ordered the complete dry fert pack from green leaf as well...seachem's line beginning to get expensive..so this will be new to me as well..looking for info on how to get started & what may be the best regimen for dosing..

Greenleaf Aquariums... I use this package of micro and macro ferts... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I use these dosing bottles but I get 3 so I can mix micros in one, nitrates in one, and phosphates and potassium in one. This allows me to customize how much of what I want to dose with. Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Then here is a thread about dosing PPS-Pro. Only read up to the dosing, don't bother with all the after posts. Just get the information...
Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Also add 5ml Flourish Excel per 250ml of micro and macro solution to keep mold/fungus from developing during storage.

So today I picked up a Rena XP1 & a ZooMed ho t5 30" dual fixture with 1 5000k bulb & 1 6500k bulb...will be going with 40lbs. of eco-complete&once the seachem ferts run out I'll be dosing dry ferts...need a better source of co2,currently using the seachem product excell...any help with this would be appreciated..

I use this Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. It basically the same as Excel but so much less. This Glutaraldehyde is 2.6x stronger than Excel so you mix the gallon of Glut with 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to make 2-1/2 gallons of Glut for $27 and some change. Two things tho... one you have to throw the little activator that comes with the gallon of Glut away, you never use it. Two, you need to store the Glut in total light blocking containers or the solution will break down.

So picked up this nice piece today to be added into the build...I can see some moss&anubias attached in various places...what can you see?
ForumRunner_20121212_183752.jpg

I use this Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. It basically the same as Excel but so much less. This Glutaraldehyde is 2.6x stronger than Excel so you mix the gallon of Glut with 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to make 2-1/2 gallons of Glut for $27 and some change. Two things tho... one you have to throw the little activator that comes with the gallon of Glut away, you never use it. Two, you need to store the Glut in total light blocking containers or the solution will break down.

Was wondering what you used to measure out the dry ferts...?

Was wondering what you used to measure out the dry ferts...?

I use a gram scale which is what is suggested to get an accurate amount. I have a Soehnle gram scale.

I use 5ml of Excel per 250ml of macro and micro mix to keep mold/fungus from growing in the solution during storage.

I use a gram scale which is what is suggested to get an accurate amount. I have a Soehnle gram scale.

I use 5ml of Excel per 250ml of macro and micro mix to keep mold/fungus from growing in the solution during storage.

So 1ml of each solution per 10g is what I should be shooting for...what are you putting the ferts in as you measure them out?

You don't have to convert grams to ml. The Excel 5ml goes into the made up liquid solutions and if you use the 1000ml dosing bottles from GreenLeaf then you would just add 20ml of Excel to each 1000ml dosing bottle.

Ordered 2 500 ml bottles so I suppose I'll have to cut the suggested doses in half to get the correct solutions...

Yep you use half the gram weight for the dry ferts them mix with the RO/DI water. Then you'd only need 10ml of Excel for the 500ml bottles.

Yep you use half the gram weight for the dry ferts them mix with the RO/DI water. Then you'd only need 10ml of Excel for the 500ml bottles.

What exactly are you putting the fert in as you measure it out on the scale..?

Back
Top Bottom