4 weeks no PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHCPeppers85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I guess life got in the way, and I let 4 weeks slip since my last water change. Just now I did a 5 gallon change, and tested my water before the change.

What is weird to me is that my nitrates were at 20ppm. How is this possible? Amm and Trites at 0, ph is about 7.4

I'm not concerned, it's just that I was expecting trates to be between 40-60 or worse. Am I not understanding something here?

30 gallon long
Fluval 206 canister
Eco-complete substrate

Fish
Bleeding Heart Tetra - 4
Bristlenose Pleco - 1
Corydora Catfish (aenus)- 4
Dwarf Red Flame Gourami - Colisa lalia - 1
Neon tetra - 6
Cardinal Tetra - 3
Yoyo Loach - 2
Siamese Algae Eater - 1
Kuhli loach - 2

Inverts
Assassin snails -3

Plants
Crypt Balansae
Crypt Wendtii Red
Moss Ball
Anubias Barteri
Flame Moss
Tree like woody stem plants, light green, broad leaves

40 watts of lights, but the room is quite well lit with natural light

Minimal algae growth

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place for this post... But I am assuming even though I'm not heavily planted, that the plants are playing a role in this. Oh. And here's a pic

Attachments

• image-2259858323.jpg
    image-2259858323.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 111
Seems good to me and like you can cut down water changes and see if results te same next 4 weeks

yea good filtration and the plants help also... i go 2 weeks before i do a water change and my reading at the end of the 2 weeks are spot on. lots of bio media is essential

Some people can go months without water changes. Turns out Gods filtration is way way better than ours :)

Some people can go months without water changes. Turns out Gods filtration is way way better than ours :)

Let's not forget that its not truly natural&not self sustaining the exchange of water is(regularly)necessary..we don't exchange water alley to keep nitrates down,just a fraction of the equation needed to keep a healthy aquarium...

Very nice that the nitrates didn't skyrocket! I wish my tanks did that, however I push the absolute limits on stocking level. Did you change the amount you fed during that time frame?

If you are going to switch over to a minimal water change schedule then I would suggest you keep an eye on both kh and pH. they can both dip when there is a long period between water changes and can cause potential problems because of it.

Let's not forget that its not truly natural&not self sustaining the exchange of water is(regularly)necessary..we don't exchange water alley to keep nitrates down,just a fraction of the equation needed to keep a healthy aquarium...

Agreed. You can cut your eater changes way down but still must do some :)

Thanks all, my plan is not to cut back on water changes... I will be doing 5 gallons every 2 weeks as I have been. I just thought it was strange. I know that nitrates aren't the only reason to pwc, but I expected tank readings to be at least higher than normal

I use eco-complete, it looks like a crushed volcanic gravel... I placed 2x20lb bags when i set up... i would say around 1-1.5 inches in the front, ranging from 2-3.5 in the back.. I cant say im 100% sure on these measurements. I am guessing you are asking gauge probability of anaerobic pockets in the substrate? I can tell you i do not vacuum it too often, i have heard that with this substrate you dont have to if you have plants, but being in the hobby only 5 months, I am always open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom