50/50 and Photosynthesis Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I've searched through the threads here and can't really find a definitive answer, and plus...this planted stuff confuses the heck out of me and I think I just need to be told directly. ;)

I have a 10 gallon tank. 20 inch Coralife PC unit over top of it. The unit came with a 96 watt Quad 50/50 bulb. I'd like to replace the bulb soon, as it's quite old. I am debating to myself whether to get another 50/50 or get a 10,000k light. I like the look of actinic lighting, but understand plants don't really utilize it. But...some threads (I believe Mr. Malkore) say that it promotes bushier growth of plants. Which is correct?

My next question is that, I've read that the higher the light, the less that can be used up by photosynthesis. This is why 6700k bulbs are preferred?

With the Quad lighting that my hood uses, I'm limited to either an all 10,000k or 10,000k/420 nm 50/50 bulb. At the time, I'm not using CO2, and while I've considered adding it, I don't really have the time to devote to it currently. That'll be a whole other thread when that time comes.

Thanks for lookin'

What they mean is that the wattage of the actinic bulb is not included in the total wpg formula for your lights.

Yes, Mr. Malkore and Mr. TravisSimonson have both stated that actinic can lead to bushier growth of plants.

That's a TON of light for a 10gallon if you go with a non 50/50 bulb. You would definately need CO2 (I'm surprised your not growing an algae farm as it is!) if you decided to go with a standard bulb. IMO I would stick with the 50/50.

Thanks guys. That was my thoughts as well, just wanted some other opinions. Enigma, actually my algae problems has sorta leveled off. My only issues are with some spot algae on my glass, but otherwise no algae outbreaks (yet). But, I'm sure that will change with the new bulbs too. The one I have on there now is really really old.

Is there such a thing as a CO2 source that is sorta set it and forget it? After initial tweaking I mean. I just don't have time to constantly measure CO2 and all that stuff. Sorta why I've shyed away from it in the first place. But maybe it just isn't as complicated as I'm making it.

Devilishturtles said:
Thanks guys. That was my thoughts as well, just wanted some other opinions. Enigma, actually my algae problems has sorta leveled off. My only issues are with some spot algae on my glass, but otherwise no algae outbreaks (yet). But, I'm sure that will change with the new bulbs too. The one I have on there now is really really old.

Is there such a thing as a CO2 source that is sorta set it and forget it? After initial tweaking I mean. I just don't have time to constantly measure CO2 and all that stuff. Sorta why I've shyed away from it in the first place. But maybe it just isn't as complicated as I'm making it.

A 10 gallon tank is the PERFECT size for Flourish Excel (depending on your plants as some will not react well). This is a liquid CO2 source so all you have to do is dose it like any other fert. It has the added benefit of inhibiting some types of algae as well in higher doses. A 500ml bottle will last you quite a while and it's only about $7-10. I use it as a suppliment in my 20gallon along with a DIY CO2 just to make sure carbon is never limiting in my tank.

I would agree on the Excel, or also go with a tried-and-true off the shelf DIY system...I have the Red Sea Turbo system on my 55 and it's pretty brainless. The Red Sea refills have consistently produced 4+ weeks of CO2 for me.

10000K or 6700K are fine for plants, I have 6700K now but I just bought some 10000K bulbs for my 55 (I use 2 96watt bulbs) and I am interested to see how it looks. I have a big school of turquoise rainbows and I think they'll look great under the "bluer" 10000K. I think the difference is that 6700K is "daylight" above the surface, and 10000K is "daylight" just under the surface.....I might be wrong on that but I don't think the plants really care, it's still not "real" sunlight anyway!

Thanks a lot for the opinions!

Newfound, I'm going to look into that RedSea system you are talking about. I'd eventually like to have an HC carpet (like everyone else, right?) but have heard it does better with CO2.

I already dose Excel now, but not heavily. I also does Flourish Potassium. That's it. I'd like to get some KNO3 and start dosing that.

Dumb question... My test kit has a CO2 test. Will it detect Excel? Or only the other kind of CO2? Are they different?

Thanks again guys. Appreciate it.

Excel is not CO2 it is a differnet type of carbon molecule that the plants can use as a source of carbon. It will not show up on a CO2 test or by testing KH and PH and mathematically figuring your CO2 levels.

as Rich says, Excel isn't CO2, but a liquid carbon source, and thus doesn't create carbonic acid, so no lowering of pH occurs.

just use it per the label and know that it'll just do its thing.

And don't bother with the CO2 "test kits"....just measure your KH and pH and calculate it from these.....I know there is a conversion chart somewhere in AA.....

Either of those work, however I HIGHLY suggest doing the DIY CO2 route (atleast for the mixture and bottles). The only reason I can think for buying a kit like that is if you want to hang it from the back of your tank as they are a convienent size.

http://www.fishforever.co.uk/carbondioxide.html

again, I very much recommend going that route if you want an easy and very cheap alternative. Plus making your own DIY reactor is fairly easy, or you can simply buy a powerhead or ladder.

Hmm. Size definitley is an issue for me. My stand isn't that large, and I don't think has enough room for two 2-Liter bottles. I'll have to measure. But as long as you guys think the others will work, maybe I'll invest in one of those, if I can't figure a place to put a DIY.

Thanks again for all the advice, and the link CaptnIgnit.

Yes, that's the one I have....I agree that building your own is much cheaper but I'm not exactly handy and didn't have any time to build a DIY setup....so I decided that $20 was worth it!

Well, I ordered the RedSea Unit. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm so excited. If all goes well, I'm gonna get me some of that HC and give it a try. I also got another bottle of excel and flourish potassium. I also ordered nitrogen and trace to add.

Thanks for the tips guys. Will try and get an updated picture soon.

Back
Top Bottom