55g fell into my lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a heater failure. Had 3 used heaters to chose from. 2 Stealths that are on a recall list and an All Glass one that seemed great. But took the tank to 90°f night before last , NO fish in tank then.

Bought a brand new 200w Aqueon heater. Tank holding steady at 80°f. I will eventually lower this to 78°. C sterbai like warm tanks. Glow Lights are adaptable. Will add more C sterbai then hopefully Cardinal Tetras and Otos.
Rummynose are sensitive and will prob be added last.

Pearl Gourami will be added when I find one that is my ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May add an HOB AC 20-50 just to break up surface of the water. If I get CO2 rig I'll add a bubble stone on a timer instead.

With this light I'll have to take Ferts and CO2 much more seriously. Only running 2 T5HO 54watt bulbs at a time. Fixture has legs so sits about 6-8" above water and have glass tops on as well.

Last edited:
Glad there was no fish in the tank with the heater.

I had one fail on me a few months ago.. Shot my tank up to like 95! Luckily discus love warm water and somehow didn't have a casualty.

Caleb

Nice tank!!!
I'm glad to see you got help.
By the way what kind of substrate did you use on the tank bed, it has a nice mix to it?[emoji106]

Clem

Nice tank!!!
I'm glad to see you got help.
By the way what kind of substrate did you use on the tank bed, it has a nice mix to it?[emoji106]

Clem

Thank you.

The sand was given to me by a club member. It was used sand out of another club member's tank. It's really nice. Some different grain sizes, some different colors mixed in. Very natural looking in person. And my Cory loves it [emoji106]?

Temp holding steady. Adding 3 Otos and 1 Farlowella tonight. No pics yet, still acclimating. I'll retest water tomorrow. May add some distilled and IAL to help lower PH and TDS just a wee bit.

Hope the Falowella vittatus makes it. Looked healthy and active at store. Very picky on water quality.

But if I can keep CRS (shrimp) alive, I should be ok with a Twig Catfish.

The legs on my light fixture mean I have to take the whole fixture off the tank to open the top...or slide glass to one side without dropping it into the tank.

Made a thread asking for suggestions in Equipment area. Great light, PITA design.

Farlowella vittata

1a7f34fbd255d7889ceba4ddb438effb.jpg
668eb48192810a50faa06a81dd2572b8.jpg
620def0f19ee189bfe3444242f2265bd.jpg

Oto
3a955ef6cb77ae4384c9080f195d3732.jpg

C sterbai
42e07b1131e55301c822fe5291d139c9.jpg

Farlowella vittata

1a7f34fbd255d7889ceba4ddb438effb.jpg
668eb48192810a50faa06a81dd2572b8.jpg
620def0f19ee189bfe3444242f2265bd.jpg

Oto
3a955ef6cb77ae4384c9080f195d3732.jpg

C sterbai
42e07b1131e55301c822fe5291d139c9.jpg

Following.
Great looking tank! wish someone would come along and rescape mine ☺ love your Farlowella I've always wanted one off those he looks really good.

Thank you. Peren did a great job. I had the concept. Peren brought the rocks. Leon brought the Crypts I wanted. Others brought other plants.

I enjoy looking at it [emoji3][emoji106]?[emoji106]?

Cory is like "where all my peoples at??" Looking good over there. Maybe someone could make you some notched risers to get that fixture put of the way a bit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tree of Otos
9512282d1f2755ed3c06a2ed4c5365be.jpg

I only have 1 fish looking off. 1 male Glowlight hasn't colored up and rarely leaves the one area. Need to return him. If I QT him he'd be by himself and that's a diff stress.

Went to buy more Cory sterbais and they did not come in the new shipment. I can drive an hour or more South for 3, but decided to wait for crazy holiday shoppers to get off road and will try again to add more soon.

So cute
0d2c19396cefa2198b34129b6235a0f4.jpg

The fins have colored up nice and orange...pics don't do him justice.

Glowlights are flirting and playing in the plants. One female looks full of eggs. But I know I can't successfully breed them in this set up, but nice to see breeding behavior. [emoji6]

How's your tank coming along? Did you manage to get more cories?
Lesley

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

I haven't been able to get more Cories yet. My LFS did not get them in and my other store doesn't have them.
Neptunes is an hour away, so I'll have to plan that trip.

Tank is in holding pattern for now.
I have been house sitting for 3 weeks. I check on my tanks and critters daily or every other day.

Cory is happy, but I'm eager to get more. Otos are fat. Glow lights are doing great. Plants are adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ran by my local Petsmart today. They had 3x Corydoras sterbai at 1/2 price, $4.45 each I think I paid ?!? I wish they'd had more. I made the guy move the accidental C trilinestus back to its correct tank. They have them mislabeled as C julii of course.

I've just released all 3 new little sterbais into my 55g. My big female should be happy to have friends. These are youngsters...half her size.
I'll be looking for more. Hoping to end up with a shoal of 10-12.

Lights are off for at least an hour, so no pics for now.

I love Sterbai, I also picked some up at petsmart. Its really rare for them to be 1/2 off. Hope they do well in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom