Algae Bloom Issue? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twistedben

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.

I have had a 35" Tall Hex tank for two years now. I've mostly had Danios in it, a Riukin Goldfish, a Electric Blue Crayfish, and a Gaurami. Currently, I have 6 Danios, 2 apple snails and 5 Sakura Red Fiery Shrimp. I have gravel at the bottom, live plants (Amazon Sword, Coffee and Grass), rocks, and Boa? Driftwood; a Penguin back Filter with B pads, one Undergravel filter, a Zoo Med 15W T8 bulb, a blue LED night light, and a bubble wand light maker, and a heater. About a year ago, out of nowhere, a sudden algae bloom occured and it rapidly changed each day, visibly growing. It almost looks like mold and algae mixed. It grew everywhere, on my rocks, the inside of the acrylic, suffocating the plants, and any hardware inside. I thorouhgly cleaned it, but it just continues to happen. Currently, I'm undergoing another very rapid bloom., and it just makes the tank look plain-old dirty and nasty within a few mere days.

I use Seachem Flourish, Excel and Trace sparingly, though the Excel I use nearly every other day, if not every night. I have attached pictures below from Photobucket for illustration. I intend on getting Algae Eaters besides my Apple Snails, but I'd first like to address the issue if possible before thoroughly cleaning it spotless and adding new fish. Any suggestions of what fish to add to help prevent this would also be welcomed.

If you have any suggestions or idea on how to address this issue, I really appreciate your time and valued input.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Ben

Middle picture looks like a whole lot of sunlight, sunlight not good!!! Move tank ASAP

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It does get a lot of sunlight. I don't think I can relocate it though. For the first year, I didn't have this issue though? Anything else I can do besides relocation? You think it's algae spawning from sunlight?

Thanks!

Goldfish = very bad water quality, underground filter probably full with nastiness. I would never use one.

I haven't had a goldfish in a long time. Undergravel filter is completely clean and I just recently put it in after this issue to move the water more, figuring static water was worsening the issue; which, I think it was.

That's it then, weekly Water Change especially with that gold fish

I no longer have the goldfish and don't plan on adding any. You're right about them being [mod edit] machines lol.

Okay, I'll start doing a weekly WC. For how long and in the beginning how much should I take out and all that? Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful tank, by the way. That's how mine used to look! Not that good, but you get my drift lol.

Thanks so much.

It is work but the results are worth it and the fish love the fresh water. Let me know how it's goes.

Back
Top Bottom