Algae Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, So I have another problem with my plants again... The leaves have some sort of algae on them... I believe its Green Spot Algae (GSA)... after much reading on other forums and websites I couldn't find anything that would help me with it, because most say its due to high light and not enough Potash.. I have a low-medium light, and I add potash weekly and co2 daily, so what else can I do to help my plants, and it seems to be only on the Bacopa Caroliniana and the Money wort, the rest of the plants seem fine like my amazon sword and Lutea crypt. Thanks I will attach some pictures... :ermm:

Attachments

• DSCF0361.jpg
    DSCF0361.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0362.jpg
    DSCF0362.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 56
russ...

A little algae is a good thing for the fishes' diet and to filter the tank water. Limit the amount you feed. Phosphate from the flaked fish food and nitrates from the dissolved fish waste are some of the reasons algae forms on the plant leaves and the sides of the tank. Larger, more frequent water changes will remove excess nutrients in the water and slow the growth of algae.

B

What type lighting? Tank dimensions? Tank getting direct sunlight? Any algae on glass or hardscape?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks... I have a 30 gallon long tank, i definetly knowits 3 feet long... and no there is no algae on the glass or any hardscapes just the plants. and no its in the basement, no direct sunlight at all. Thanks

It's likely a nutrient deficiency. I'd get the imbalance figured out , clip affected sections and reboot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

russ...

A little algae is a good thing for the fishes' diet and to filter the tank water. Limit the amount you feed. Phosphate from the flaked fish food and nitrates from the dissolved fish waste are some of the reasons algae forms on the plant leaves and the sides of the tank. Larger, more frequent water changes will remove excess nutrients in the water and slow the growth of algae.

B
I've actually heard that Green Spot algae can occur if your phosphates are too low

I've actually heard that Green Spot algae can occur if your phosphates are too low

Second this, I 4x my phosphate dosage to keep the green spot away. Works a charm. However if I miss water change day by 1 day it comes back straight away

Hello, thanks for all your replies, how can I naturally raise phosphates? Thanks

U can't. You would have to dose it separately. I use dry salts. U can buy them over the Internet. Seachem might have a product in liquid form but not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom