Algae issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sbradley81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 30 litre tank that has been set up for about a year now. I am having some real issues with algae build up on my plant leaves. It's a horrible green algae that turns brown and has green threads coming off the leaves at times. My tank has tetras and 1 fighter in it. It's cleaned weekly with a large water change but I cannot seem to clear the large build up of algae.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1622230791.jpg
    image-1622230791.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 76
Algae problem

Hello S...

Small tanks present a challenge to the most experienced waterkeeper. The reason is, there's very little water to dilute mistakes in tank management. There's no room for errors.

The water chemistry can change quickly in small tanks because of feeding too much, not changing out the tank water often enough, water temperature changes, light changes, you name it.

Mostly, the problem with algae is too much food. If you're feeding your fish or plants more than a couple of times a week, you'll have dissolved nutrients in the water. A perfect situation for algae to grow.

Fish and plants are tiny and don't require daily feedings. Gradually reduce the amount you feed. The algae will start to shrink because it's not getting enough food to sustain it.

This takes time. The algae didn't appear overnight, so be patient.

B

What type lighting do you have and how long do you run it? Do you use any ferts, CO2, or liquid carbon (Excel)? There are many factors to take into consideration when dealing with algae. Do you know what you nitrate and phosphate readings are?

Sometimes when algae builds up on the leaves really bad, if they are stem plants it's wise to cut the good tops off and replant them, then figure out what is causing the algae so new growth won't be affected.

The light is on for a maximum of 5 hours a day.

No CO2 or carbon or fertilisers. I am afraid I don't have a phosphate testing kit.

What kind of light fixture is it? What could be happening (am guessing since I have no nitrate or phosphate info) is that the algae is outcompeting the plants for the available nutrients in the water. Do you have alot of plants or just a couple? You might want to consider getting some liquid carbon (Excel or API CO2 booster) and dosing it daily. This will aid the plants in photosynthsis and help increase plant growth so the plants will be using the available nutrients in the water and out competing the algae for them.

Apologies..

It is a 11w PL/UV light. A mix triphosphor/tropical lamp. I have just the one plant with it being a small tank. Is it recommended to leave the light on for 8-10 hours a day?

The algae growth grows on the glass and ornaments too. I'll add a few more pictures. It grows very quickly.

On the pic's I am noticing some holes in some of the plant leaves. Are you seeing this on other plants? Your plants could be potassium deficient. You might want to look into getting and dosing Seachems liquid potassium.

Is the treatment for plants harmful to fish? Would you recommend potassium treatment or liquid carbon or both?

Apologies..

It is a 11w PL/UV light. A mix triphosphor/tropical lamp. I have just the one plant with it being a small tank. Is it recommended to leave the light on for 8-10 hours a day?

The algae growth grows on the glass and ornaments too. I'll add a few more pictures. It grows very quickly.

Actually I believe that is a really bright high light... yes or no. I think you are okay on the 5 hour mark but this really makes me believe you need some liquid carbon and ferts so your plant has the suppliments it needs in high light. Is there a way you can add alittle more plants. I know the tank is small but there are tiny plants like Crypt Parva you could use.

So yes, I believe you need to be using both the nitrogen and liquid carbon.

Yes it rubs off, usually needs doing once a week. I try to clean it off all glass and ornaments.

Yes it rubs off, usually needs doing once a week. I try to clean it off all glass and ornaments.

Okay those are diatoms which is unusual in a tank that old. Silicates in water usually causes that but also high nitrates and phosphates can aid in the problem. I really think if try using liquid carbon and some seachem potassium your tank has a high chance of balancing out and your algae issues are corrected. Another thing that could be aiding in the problem is your tap water could contain both nitrates and phosphates, plus silicates which would explain why your getting diatoms constantly. I personally would try the above method first and see if your problem gets corrected over the next 2-3 months then if not you might want to consider that your tap water is part of your problem and think about using RO water or even perhaps bottled water. But that is down the road. Try the potassium and liquid carbon, feed lightly as suggested in another post, and see how things go for awhile. Then if the problem still persists we will have to revisit this issue and talk about your tap water.

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I will get some of the seachems and carbon booster as suggested and cut back on the food.

I will see how things go.

Again, thanks :)

Would you recommend trimming the leaves from the plant as well as dosing with potassium, etc?

You might want to trim the bottom where I'm assuming most of the algae is at and then replant the tops. Also while you have the plants out after cutting the bottoms off (leave at least 5 inches to plant) pour alittle hydrogen peroxide over them and then replant them. The peroxide will help kill some of the algae (hairy stuff, not diatoms). Don't rinse the plants after using the peroxide, just go plant them.

Back
Top Bottom