Algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demajori

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of algae is this? And how do I get rid of it? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3614823733.jpg
    image-3614823733.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2232895056.jpg
    image-2232895056.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 71
I am far from a planted resource as you will see the index is full of questions from me but to me it looks like it is java moss or similar.

That appears to be staghorn algae. Remove as much as you can by hand first off. How long do you have your lights on daily? I've never dealt with it but my understanding of it has alot to do with high light and low CO2.

Yeah it looks like Staghorn as Rivercats suggested. I just dealt with it successfully in one of my tanks. I was able to get rid of it be increasing the flow of my filter to create more circulation in the tank. Staghorn likes to develop where the water gets little circulation (dead spots). I also have high light and a DIY CO2 system (so CO2 fluctuations may have had a hand in it).

Aside from increasing the flow rate on my filter, I also spot treated the staghorn with Excel by using a syringe. In order to spot treat though, you should turn off your filter so the water is nice and still. Shoot some Excel on it and let it rest for 10 minutes before you turn on the filter. You can also try some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) if lieu of the Excel if you don't have any. Just don't overdose on any method.

Edit: I had to repeat the spot treatment like 3 times before it was gone. It's been a month now and it hasn't returned.

Staghorn Algae

What kind of algae is this? And how do I get rid of it? Thanks!

Hello d...

Algae grows in water with high nutrients. If you feed your fish and plants more than they use, then you make a perfect environment for all kinds of algae.

You need to gradually reduce the amount you feed your fish and plants. Fish don't need much to eat. A variety of frozen, just what will be eaten in a couple of minutes is enough. Feed twice a week. The rest of the time, the fish are foraging for leftovers, getting their exercise and you have a cleaner tank.

The plants can be fertilized a little when you top off your tanks or when you change out the tank water. I dilute a little liquid and dose a couple of times a week. My plants grow fine.

Reduce the amount you feed and there won't be anything left for the algae, so it will shrink to the point you'll have trouble finding any.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thanks everyone! I think I will reduce the amount i feed my plants.

Personally if it were me and the plants are doing good with no signs of nutrient deficiency I would not reduce your fertilizer amount. I dose PPS-Pro daily and do weekly WC's and don't have algae problems. I also have high light and a dirted tank and use a liquid carbon. Your plants need ferts in order to grow and remain healthy without deficiencies. What type lighting do you have and how long do you run it daily? Also do you use CO2 or a liquid carbon? Do you have adequate water flow throughout the tank? You should be able to see your plants sway slightly. I have a 220g and use 2 small powerheads along with my canisters to ensure I have water movement throughout the tank and no dead spots.

Rivercats said:
Personally if it were me and the plants are doing good with no signs of nutrient deficiency I would not reduce your fertilizer amount. I dose PPS-Pro daily and do weekly WC's and don't have algae problems. I also have high light and a dirted tank and use a liquid carbon. Your plants need ferts in order to grow and remain healthy without deficiencies. What type lighting do you have and how long do you run it daily?

+1

A lot of people are under the misconception that algae is from too many nutrients in the water column. Where it is mainly due to not enough nutrients to keep plants growing. If plants don't have enough nutrients to grow then algae will outcompete them for the remaining nutrients.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom