Beginner carpet plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like a easy to keep carpeting plant for my tanks upcoming plastic to planted redo. My substrate is black gravel, nutrient free, with a layer of black sand on top. I have no Co2 and the only plant I've kept is 1 anubias nana. I have high lighting and a 2 pieces of wood, both starting to rot and lower the pH. My pH is 7.4. Any recommendations? I was thinking java or Christmas moss, S. Repents, or baby tears. Thanks!

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I'm trying S. repens in mine, so we can compare notes if you do the same! ☺️

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Im new at this and i startes with dwarf sag so ill post so u can compare also

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1423018520049.jpg
    1423018520049.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 88
I have heard you can "carpet" wisteria. It would require lots of trimming to keep it short though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wisteria will carpet if you lie it in the substrate. You may need something to hold it down till it roots. Like toothpicks

Hmm. I saw a similar technique for anemones. The guy shove a toothpick through part of the anenome and the thing rooted there. I think I might have a wild supply of wisteria. I also have a wild supply of some sort of val. And anacharis. I will probs go with either Christmas moss, wisteria, or s repens. I'll never learn how to spell staurogeyne... Or is it starogeine? Or maybe staurogyne... Oh well, happy tanking you guys! Thanks for the help.

I read that you lay the wisteria stem horizontal and just cover it back up. The leafs on top will grow and form a carpet.

Oh, and this is really off topic but I'm going to get rid of my current stock of 2pearl gouramis, 5 diamond tetras, 6 cardinal tetras, and 4 Cory cats and all my plastic plants to plastic to planted transform my tank. I'm thinking of buying 2 bolivian rams, and some sort of small schooling fish. Which should I choose from this list? 1. Andromeda (or celestial pearl) danio 2. Green neon tetra 3. Emperor tetra 5. Ember tetra 6. Green flame tetra 7. Harlequin rasbora. I will probably also throw in a betta or some endlers for some surface area action

Watch out with the bettas. Some can be good with community tanks but others not

Yeah, I've heard a horror story with a betta eating all the small fish and another with a betta that was so shy it got out competed for food by a glowlight tetra. I'd have to ask the guy in the LFS how that betta was acting

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom