Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
So using the calc I need to dose mon/wed/fri/Sunday 1g of kno3 and 211mg of kh2p04

And tues/thurs/sat 757mg of trace

That's 4g of kno3 and 844mg of kh2po4 per week and 2.274g of trace per week.

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

That sounds about right mate and you are welcome. I haven't been dosing micros lately as I have a soil substrate. I was waiting to see if I could spot and micro related deficiencies and then just bob some in there but well....I am still waiting.

The idea behind EI is so that you can provide non limiting nutrients and eradicate testing. Because we know that the powders do not cause algae or even harm to livestock (TDS will rise) all that happens is your plants grow healthier and make the system more robust. the 50% weekly water change resets nutrients. If you are unsure maybe do a bit more than 50%. You probably won't like what your tests kits tell you but why test when you know exactly have much you are putting in? There is nothing more accurate than that🙂

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
That sounds about right mate and you are welcome. I haven't been dosing micros lately as I have a soil substrate. I was waiting to see if I could spot and micro related deficiencies and then just bob some in there but well....I am still waiting.

The idea behind EI is so that you can provide non limiting nutrients and eradicate testing. Because we know that the powders do not cause algae or even harm to livestock (TDS will rise) all that happens is your plants grow healthier and make the system more robust. the 50% weekly water change resets nutrients. If you are unsure maybe do a bit more than 50%. You probably won't like what your tests kits tell you but why test when you know exactly have much you are putting in? There is nothing more accurate than that🙂

Good luck.

Yea it's a good system I've read a fair bit about it over the last month or so. I'll be starting it on Sunday

Old 08-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Abit of a co2 question guys. I'm currently running 2bps out of the cyclinder (according to bubble counter on reg) but at my diffuser it's about 1 every 2 seconds. Could this mean that there is a leak somewhere?
I'm tending to trust the bubble counter on the reg more.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Abit of a co2 question guys. I'm currently running 2bps out of the cyclinder (according to bubble counter on reg) but at my diffuser it's about 1 every 2 seconds. Could this mean that there is a leak somewhere?
I'm tending to trust the bubble counter on the reg more.

What kind of diffuser do you have? Mix some washing up liquid with water to check for leaks. All over the reg and connections etc.

Also how long have you had the set up running. Sometimes tweaks at the needle valve can take a while to adjust through the hole system. That's why you need to stay with the setup all day.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
What kind of diffuser do you have? Mix some washing up liquid with water to check for leaks. All over the reg and connections etc.

Also how long have you had the set up running. Sometimes tweaks at the needle valve can take a while to adjust through the hole system. That's why you need to stay with the setup all day.

The diffuser is a Aqua one 3 in 1 ceramic diffuser (a plastic price of crap basically) just using till my inline comes next week. Has been setup for 2 days now

Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bert's 30G Planted adventure.

Turns out the diffuser must have been clogged from when I used it with my DIY. Was causing back pressure to the bubble counter. (Wouldn't adjust past 2bps). Swapped it out for another one and it's going great guns.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:28 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Turns out the diffuser must have been clogged from when I used it with my DIY. Was causing back pressure to the bubble counter. (Wouldn't adjust past 2bps). Swapped it out for another one and it's going great guns.

Excellent. Can't wait to see how things turn out.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

So today is water change day. I've done my 50% weekly change and from today I'll start dosing EI ferts. I'll be dosing macro sun/tue/thur/sat and micro mon/wed/fri.

I'll update any changes in growth or algae over the next few weeks. Co2 will be at 30ppm.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So today is water change day. I've done my 50% weekly change and from today I'll start dosing EI ferts. I'll be dosing macro sun/tue/thur/sat and micro mon/wed/fri.

I'll update any changes in growth or algae over the next few weeks. Co2 will be at 30ppm.

Good luck dialling in the co2.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

First day going to EI and co2 was an incredible difference already. Light came on and an hour later my stem plants started pearling and by the end of the day my tank was like a soda bottle. I used to get pearl in the last hour of lighting but today they basically went all day.

Drop checker is lime green and fish looking lively.

Tags
plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com