Bert's 30G Planted adventure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think aquagreen has cut back a fair bit. Not 100% sure. I was just thinking I should get some more potassium off them. No specialty shops for plants in your area? I've had to double my driving time to get a good one unfortunately. Yes, annoying (I get quarantine is important) but would be nice to have more options.

Yea I think they only have crypts and a few others now :( only 1 shop near me that sells plants and most of the time they get in the same ones over and over! Very frustrating. I might see if they can get me a list of plants they can order in and just get a bulk lot

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Yea I think they only have crypts and a few others now :( only 1 shop near me that sells plants and most of the time they get in the same ones over and over! Very frustrating. I might see if they can get me a list of plants they can order in and just get a bulk lot

I'm sure they would be able to order on request? Some LFS don't sell many plants as its not their big money maker but I know they would try and get hold of something for me if I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bit of an update. Glass is getting covered with GSA again. Going to double my phosphate to see if I can clear it.

Hair algae is gone on all plants but my carpet.

Going to do a full rescape over the next for weeks. Moss tree will be going as the moss is just to dam messy.
Will be keeping all plants apart from my carpet, going to go with HC for the new carpet. Thinking of going abit of a jungle theme. Still deciding on plants.
I'll be adding more fluval soil, root tabs and topping with Eco complete.
Still trying to find some new interesting rocks aswell.

Will post my new scape ideas as I dry set it up ;)

Happy fishing!

Do you have a phosphate test kit? Pretty cheap and could be worth picking up for this sort of experimenting perhaps.

Do you have a phosphate test kit? Pretty cheap and could be worth picking up for this sort of experimenting perhaps.

I do have one, although it is pretty old. I'll let u know the exact dosage etc after I test in a few days :)

So over the weekend I was pretty bored so I decided to start my rescape. Not 100% happy with it yet but my plan is to get some more fluval soil and put that through the mid section and grow a HC carpet through there.

Considering culling the some Java fern and removing the Amazon swords.

Added some rotala and whatever that big sword thing is (can't remember what it's called)

Also have a hair grass pot just floating because I don't know if I'm going to use it yet.

Driftwood if just temp till I find a similar piece with more branches.

I've just put in a small plant order at Aquagreen so I have 2 lace plants and 2 willow hygro's on the way aswell as the HC for the carpet!

Few pics so far!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474852647.000815.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474852662.702252.jpg

Any ideas on placement are welcome!

Boredom strikes a planted tank again! I couldn't remember what the substrate was? Trying to figure out what the white pebbles(?) were?

Boredom strikes a planted tank again! I couldn't remember what the substrate was? Trying to figure out what the white pebbles(?) were?

I had a white strip in the middle of normal pebbles but I took them all out and it's now all Eco complete till I get some more fluval soil ;)

I had a white strip in the middle of normal pebbles but I took them all out and it's now all Eco complete till I get some more fluval soil ;)

Just a few stray white pebbles that keep surfacing and me haha

So got my HC and lace plants today from Aquagreen. HC looks really nice but the lace plant I got has a crazy amount of hair algae on it. I've sat it aside for the moment. Anyone know how to get rid of it before I put it in my tank?

Not really impressed about paying for a plant with algae if I might add.
Pics:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475126420.560179.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475126435.543598.jpg

That's too bad about the algae. Perhaps a dip I hydrogen peroxide? Not sure how delicate those plants are. Or maybe trimming the algae covered leaves? I would be worried about introducing a nuisance algae to the tank.

That's too bad about the algae. Perhaps a dip I hydrogen peroxide? Not sure how delicate those plants are. Or maybe trimming the algae covered leaves? I would be worried about introducing a nuisance algae to the tank.

I ended up ditching the plants and they gave me a refund :). I've been battling abit of hair algae as it is so I didn't want to bring in more!

Planted some HC Cuba though will update pics later

So I've had another co2 issue! Noticed my drop checker didn't change at all off blue over the weekend and found that the line onto my inline diffuser broke :(

Ive pulled it out to soak it so hopefully it just blocked up and the pressure got to much for the hose.

Just running a ceramic diffuser under my canister intake for the moment while I fix this diffuser.

To be honest I've had nothing but issues with the inline since I brought it. It struggles to keep a consistent bubble count most of the time. Pretty sure the 25psi my reg runs at isn't enough for it to work and I can't ajust it :s

So I've had another co2 issue! Noticed my drop checker didn't change at all off blue over the weekend and found that the line onto my inline diffuser broke :(

Ive pulled it out to soak it so hopefully it just blocked up and the pressure got to much for the hose.

Just running a ceramic diffuser under my canister intake for the moment while I fix this diffuser.

To be honest I've had nothing but issues with the inline since I brought it. It struggles to keep a consistent bubble count most of the time. Pretty sure the 25psi my reg runs at isn't enough for it to work and I can't ajust it :s

I think your PSI is the problem mate. You may have to bite the bullet and get another reg? All your problems will be solved.

I think your PSI is the problem mate. You may have to bite the bullet and get another reg? All your problems will be solved.

Another reg isn't on the cards for a fair while as there just too dam expensive. It's also hard to find a good reg here in Aus apart from the azoo ones :(

I gave it a bleaching and it's working again sitting steady at 3 bps but I'm not sure how long that will last.

Can't go any higher because of my pressure issue :(

If PSI is an issue, then you might consider using a CO2 reactor instead. DIY or commercially produced. CO2 is injected into a reaction chamber as whole bubbles so there is minimal back pressure. These are supposed to utilize 100% of the CO2 introduced. There are instructions on the web on designing these. Cerges and Rex-Grigg are two design types I have read about. I cannot tell you what the difference is between the two. If you can get a hold of clear PVC instead of the traditional white, then it would allow you to see what is going on inside. But that is a bit more costly.
You need adequate space for these and you need a source of water (e.g. - canister output).
Just throwing it out there as an option.

If PSI is an issue, then you might consider using a CO2 reactor instead. DIY or commercially produced. CO2 is injected into a reaction chamber as whole bubbles so there is minimal back pressure. These are supposed to utilize 100% of the CO2 introduced. There are instructions on the web on designing these. Cerges and Rex-Grigg are two design types I have read about. I cannot tell you what the difference is between the two. If you can get a hold of clear PVC instead of the traditional white, then it would allow you to see what is going on inside. But that is a bit more costly.
You need adequate space for these and you need a source of water (e.g. - canister output).
Just throwing it out there as an option.

I did look at these before I went down the diffuser road. I am struggling for room in my cabinet but I may be able to rejig a few things to make some room. Thanks for the input I might read abit more into these!

So my diffuser decided to work really well yesterday after I unblocked it and I forgot to change the bubble count back. Came home from work to all my fish gasping and looking very ruff.

Threw an air stone in straight away and turned off the co2 and they came good after an hour with no deaths!

Very very close though. Diffuser seems to be working perfectly now!

Went to my lfs today and they just got in a new shipment of plants! Got some pink baby tears and some Other red plant I can't remember the name of. Will post pictures when I get home :)!

Back
Top Bottom