Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha ur right about that flchamp. In Texas the drinking water sucks.has all kinds of crap in it.
Im surrounding by springs and our water is great for drinking. But its high in P and Ca. Great livebearer water but I often wonder if my water is more conducive to algae. Its low in Fe as well.

Very fortunate to have good quality city water for drinking. Maybe its me but in the states (especially cities) alot of the water is suspect to say the least lol

I'm semi rural so I have a water tank that catches all the rain water on my roof. It's double filtered so it's very soft. Total TDS is generally 17-30. I think this stemmed problems with the 30g as I wasn't adding any booster. I saw mg deficiency eventually. Took a while but it was certainly there.

I feel sorry for these people with liquid rock lol

One thing I'll miss about the 30 is the less amount of water changing. However I use a power head and a long hose anyway so I can do other stuff while changing the water ;)

Man I guess I didn't know how lucky I was. The guy who mentioned this to me has quite a background. Also has many colleagues to help answer questions.

He said that magnesium was the easiest 'macro' deficiency to induce and its very easy for the plant to rectify.

He also said this during one discussion about nutrients.

'Because I come from a scientific back-ground in botany and horticulture, and I've worked for ~20 years in a lab. where we did a lot of work in ecology and phytoremediation, I think I've probably got more understanding of the principles that under-pin much of what happens in the aquarium than the average fish keeper.

The other great advantage I have is that I work in the same school with statisticians, animal ecologists, plant physiologists, micro-biologists, plant ecologists and analytical chemists, so I when I don't understand something I can always ask a colleague.

For example when an analytical chemist with 35 years experience, in a lab. with ~£500,000's of pounds worth of kit, tells you it is quite difficult to measure some anions (like NO3-) accurately, you tend to take their word for it'

Doesn't make it so but this is why I tend to take the API test with a certain degree of scepticism ☺

Man I guess I didn't know how lucky I was. The guy who mentioned this to me has quite a background. Also has many colleagues to help answer questions.

He said that magnesium was the easiest 'macro' deficiency to induce and its very easy for the plant to rectify.

'Because I come from a scientific back-ground in botany and horticulture, and I've worked for ~20 years in a lab. where we did a lot of work in ecology and phytoremediation, I think I've probably got more understanding of the principles that under-pin much of what happens in the aquarium than the average fish keeper.

The other great advantage I have is that I work in the same school with statisticians, animal ecologists, plant physiologists, micro-biologists, plant ecologists and analytical chemists, so I when I don't understand something I can always ask a colleague.

For example when an analytical chemist with 35 years experience, in a lab. with ~£500,000's of pounds worth of kit, tells you it is quite difficult to measure some anions (like NO3-) accurately, you tend to take their word for it'

Doesn't make it so but this is why I tend to take the API test with a certain degree of scepticism ☺
Thats me. Totally agree as well.

Who would have thought I big company like api would be ripping people off? [emoji23]

500k. That's pretty big lol

That's state wide lol we have a pretty big area ;) traffic etc isn't an issue at all here. I can travel 60km to the center of the city in 35 minutes.

500,000 in 68,000 square kilometres

Who would have thought I big company like api would be ripping people off? [emoji23]

LOL Unfortunately it's just the nature of that method of testing. Those tests work great as long as you throw the worthless color chart in the garbage. I've learned from experience that the liquid nitrate (NO3) tests in particular are not reliable without calibrating first. The majority of the kits I've purchased were pretty far off. The upside is that it's very easy and inexpensive to make calibration solutions with distilled water and KNO3 salt.

LOL Unfortunately it's just the nature of that method of testing. Those tests work great as long as you throw the worthless color chart in the garbage. I've learned from experience that the liquid nitrate (NO3) tests in particular are not reliable without calibrating first. The majority of the kits I've purchased were pretty far off. The upside is that it's very easy and inexpensive to make calibration solutions with distilled water and KNO3 salt.

Ah true I never thought of that! Pretty good idea!

Quick update:
co2 is perfect.
I've been dosing 1g of kno3 and 0.5g of micro to EI. (Nitrates are staying just above 10 ppm.)

Everything is still looking clean and all my plants are getting new growth/rooting nicely.

Still sorting out my otto problem but I think I've come up with a solution as you will see in the pics.

The fish have settled in really well and are loving all the room [emoji4]

Still not happy with the flow pattern. The milfoil on the right is getting blown over too much.

Few pictures!
http://pho.to/AbA22

Looks good Bert. I agree that flow is pretty intense. What are your plans?

Not really sure to be honest. I tried facing the spray bar down abit more but that had no effect. The flow is very circular and the hygro seems to be hold up in the current. Maybe if I let the milfoil grow out more it will thicken the stems abit and end up abit straighter?

Or I could take the spray bar out and drill some angled holes in it to try and push it back to straight? Haha.

My carpet is a complete nightmare tho. Getting over replanting it every day... I've really buried the HC now tho so hopefully it holds. Majority of the plant is under the substrate lol.

I know it's early days yet but I tell you what, even after 5 days I'd say the plants are looking healthier than they ever did in the 30g. Colour is better, growth is faster (noticeable growth already!) and the fish seem a lot more active.

Think I'll remove the bacopa too. It's ugly and seems to struggle (very small leaves etc). Think this was just an impulse buy. Might replace it with something bushier.

Now if I could just get rid of those ugly stainless mesh sheets [emoji848]

Quick update:
co2 is perfect.
I've been dosing 1g of kno3 and 0.5g of micro to EI. (Nitrates are staying just above 10 ppm.)

Everything is still looking clean and all my plants are getting new growth/rooting nicely.

Still sorting out my otto problem but I think I've come up with a solution as you will see in the pics.

The fish have settled in really well and are loving all the room [emoji4]

Still not happy with the flow pattern. The milfoil on the right is getting blown over too much.

Few pictures!
http://pho.to/AbA22
Looking good bert. That flow is alittle strong ?

Mouth open and waiting for food! Lol

Haha yep! Was around feeding time, I was also poking my tongue out at him. Gets him all fired up haha he's a big grump!

He tends to open his mouth and charge the glass whenever the dog walks past aswell [emoji23]
I don't think he would win the fight against a German Sheppard but he's willing to try :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom