bleach to kill algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my planted tank has a nasty case of what I think is beard algae. It is on the rocks, driftwood, and plants. Should I soak them in a bleach solution to get rid of it? If not what should I do? The tank came from my brothers house and everything looks very healthy other than the algae. He had 2 Siamese algae eaters and 4 Chinese algae eaters, but they don't seem to be putting a dent in it. Thanks in advance for any help!

maybe some shrimps or a snail or 2 ...i dont think its going to be good by killing of bb in the tank by scrubbing stuff...maybe a black out for a few days to kill it off

I added 20 ghost shrimp today.....i don't see any now....i think the angels got most of them :-/ what about bigger shrimp like bamboo shrimp?

what they are is sifters there not going to do it maybe some amano shrimps there a bit bigger

Here's the problem though.

If you don't fix what's going on that's causing the algae, it's just going to keep coming back. An algae infestation is caused by an imbalance in a tank. Without a addressing the root cause, any chemical intervention will just be a futile cycle.

I just got the tank today......idk what to check for.....i didn't move any of his water so it has all new water.....i left the old filters though, and didn't clean anything......thinking I may try to scrub most of it off for now?

I added 20 ghost shrimp today.....i don't see any now....i think the angels got most of them :-/ what about bigger shrimp like bamboo shrimp?

You'll need to address the cause of the algae as aqua chem mentioned. Once that gets under control you can look to add algae eating shrimp to help keep it at bay. Ghost and bamboo are not algae eaters, Amano may be your best bet as they get around 2inches.

Back
Top Bottom