co2 airgun "diy pressurized system" Is it possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to rig a diy pressurized system utilizing the simple mechanics of an airgun?
I realize more parts would be needed, like a needle valve and gauge. The reason I thought of this is because I have access to alot of pneumatic and other air driven parts and pieces in my occupation as a press operator and the co2 cylinders used for airguns are fairly cheap. Has anyone ever attempted a diy project like this?
Possible maybe???

Do you mean something like this?

The issue with any of these setups is that although the cartridges may be cheap, you need several of them to add up to a single 5# cylinder (probably dozens from these little guys). Buying a regulator and a cylinder usually pays for itself in a short amount of time when compared to buying large numbers of the disposable cylinders.

I already have the ista 95g setup on my 20gal long. Ista's 95g cylinders are a little bigger than the airgun cylinders are.
I guess your right about it not being very cost effective long term. I've been putting it off for awhile now. I started with diy 2L bottles, then to the ista 95g system and now I guess its time to graduate lol.
Do you have any recommendations on a good setup from Drs. Foster & Smith? I just want the basics. No need for solenoids and drop checkers if I'm home every day is there?

If money is a major issue and time isn't, then you can sit around eBay for awhile waiting for a good deal. Just the other day I saw a dual stage regulator with solenoid/bubble counter/needle valve go for $45+S/H. The only problem is that there are a LOT of regulators that aren't designed for planted tanks (different attachments, flow regulators, etc) that will need more money to make wokr correctly, so you need to know what you're looking for (or know how much it will cost to repurpose what you get).

Back
Top Bottom