CO2 System Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toillion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about adding a co2 system for my 65-gallon tank and am looking for suggestions on equipment to get and where to get it. If it's reasonable I would like to keep the cost under $200 but I also don't want to get anything that will just break. Here is a list of equipment I believe I need but let me know if I'm missing anything.
Regulator (dual gauge & needle valve)
Solenoid
Bubble Counter
CO2 tank (10 lb?)
Permaseal?
Tubing
Check Valve
Defuser

Here are a couple of things I've found. Let me know what ya'll think along with links on where to find good equipment. Thanks!

Milwaukee CO2 Regulator w/Solenoid Valve, MA957 - AquaCave.com

Professional Dual Gauge Co2 Regulator with Solenoid Valve and Bubble Counter - FMR-201 - AquaCave.com

You are n the right track with your thoughts and research. Defniitley do not go cheap on a regulator get one that gets some good reviews... Bubble counters are a dime a dozen...

It is important to get tubing that is made for CO2. Stadard silicone CO2 actulaly can be a bit porous in regards to CO2. There is tubing made especially for the job. its easy to find just ensure it is made for Co2 / aquarium

I would recommend a CO2 reactor over a diffuser, especially the over counter diffusers that seem to do a so so job

Here's a write up I did on my DIY Cerges CO2 reactor / Filter

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-cerges-co2-reactor-biofilter-357263.html

Last edited:
You could always hack it to a 24 oz paintball bottle if you trying to be chip

You could always hack it to a 24 oz paintball bottle if you trying to be chip

I've considered the paintball set up and I've seen those small canister kits but figured they wouldn't last long for my tank and I don't think I want to be constantly replacing them. I also wasn't sure if a 24oz bottle would be worth it or not

I doubt that the cartridge style Fluval rigs would work with a paintball tank (you would have to find the correct adapters).
I used a 24 oz PB tank on my 20g high tech tank for about 4 years. At 1-3 bps a tank would last 2-3 months. Fill ups from a local sports store about $5. AquaTek Premium Regulator and a CGA 320 adapters for the PB tank. I chose a regulator that could accept full size tanks in case move up the the large CO2 tanks.

Yes!! You can hack it to a painball 24oz dont lessen to this know it all theres always someone that have something negitive to say in here

Theres video on uou tube thay can show you bettee then i can explaain it seach it up toillon

I also wasn't sure if a 24oz bottle would be worth it or not

I would look into a larger tank (5, 10, 20 lbs) if possible. But you need to factor in how easy is it to get refills in your area. In my case, the convenience of getting refills from a national chain sports store is why I am using PB tanks.

If cost isn’t an issue for you, Greenleaf Aquarium has great products and I’ve had -excellent- customer support from them. I purchased one of the advanced setups with the pH meter. That has made dosing incredibly easy, safe, consistent, and reliable.

If cost isn’t an issue for you, Greenleaf Aquarium has great products and I’ve had -excellent- customer support from them. I purchased one of the advanced setups with the pH meter. That has made dosing incredibly easy, safe, consistent, and reliable.

I've checked out since of their stuff and also co2art. Do you know anything about them?

I've checked out since of their stuff and also co2art. Do you know anything about them?

I picked up a used CO2 Art regulator from another planted tank person a while back. It’s alright. Had a bit of a leak where the tubing went into the manifold/needle valve piece. Customer service was helpful and gave me a couple of suggestions. The teflon tape around the end of the tubing fixed the leak. I find the adjustment knob to be pretty finicky. Otherwise, it has been fine. They’re UK-based so unless they ship from the USA somewhere, you’re stuck with international post to get any repairs done. :p

I much prefer my GLA stuff.

Back
Top Bottom